Video Files on Forum ×

PRIVIA PX-5S FIRMWARE UPDATE V1.12 AVAILABLE

Mike Martin

Just wondering if somebody can clear something up for me..Probably discussed but I've searched...sorry in advance (I'm a bit of a novice here).

So In order to back up your settings before firmware update,  I have to keep track of where every Stage Settings location is and replace them one by one after the update - keeping track of where they originated because the editor does not remember what position they came from when you copy them to the computer?  I have changed probably 50% of the sounds or rearranged their position.  Plus I don't remember which ones are factory and which were altered.  So I'll have to compare the altered or post factory sounds with the factory sounds.

I'm having a hard time believing that is really true.  This seems like a very arduous process and one that should not be.  Am I missing something here?
Thx, 

Tony

I'm not an expert and I don't know the internal workings but this is what I understand:  The original update from version 1.00 to 1.10 contained wave table changes.  There were some wave forms added and changed.  If one used the save option of ALL while on version 1.00, when reloading this ALL file into the updated version 1.10, there was some carryover from 1.00 that interfered with the new features of v 1.10.  Now since 1.10, there haven't been any wave table changes.

Since there haven't been any wave table changes, this precaution may or may not apply.  It's better to err on the side of caution and save your files individually.  The save and load ALL function may carry over code from the previous version that you do not want in the new version.  And look at this as a perfect opportunity to catalog and backup your hard work.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

So I am a proud owner of a PX5S now its as was advertise and more enjoying every sonic expression from it superb. Being now a while since upgrade 1.12 came out, And I got my PX5s last saturday I expected the upgrade be done at the factory (Or in this case by Casio Netherlands) but they did not yet. I went to the Casio site to see what been upgraded and saw this list.

Improvements Provided by This Update

Version 1.11 >> Version 1.12     • Solving a problem that unintended note off is occured to a note sounded by an instrument when connecting a specific MIDI device to MIDI IN.       • Solving a problem that user data which was overwrited is set when an instrument is rebooted after overwriting preset data to the user data and load it.       • Improving certain operation.     Version 1.10 >> Version 1.11     • Improving certain operation.     Version 1.00 >> Version 1.10     • Improving the Key Follow function of Hex Layer.       • Adding a portamento function to the Melody tones and the Hex Layer tones.       • Adding a volume control to the Audio Recorder.       • Adding a volume control to the Damper Noise.       • Adding ‘Toggle Mode’ to the Pedal Function.       • Adding MIDI Rx message filters.       • Expanding the frequency range of the Master Equalizer.       • Expanding the frequency range of the DSP Equalizer.       • Adding a Fine tune to the DSP Pitch Shifter.       • Adding a Bypass to the System Effects and the Master Effects.       • Adding a destination parameters to the controllers (Knobs, Sliders, Modulation and Pedals).       • Adding a calibration function of the position of the Knobs.       • Adding a sample waves to the Hex Layer.       For More Information, please download Ver1.10 Firmware Manual.

On the bottom of the list it says *Adding a sample waves to the Hex Layer*   what does that mean cause I know you can trigger a wave(backing recording) on top of your stages. Does this particular addition just mean that or something else.

Mike, about a year ago I posted to this forum to say that I was having a problem with my PX-5S where it wouldn't boot up --instead it would display the "No Media" error. I followed your advice and installed the then new 1.11 firmware update, which seemed to fix the problem.

However, a couple of times recently, I've encountered the same problem again. The first time I reinstalled the 1.11 update, and then just yesterday I discovered the 1.12 update and installed that. Again, it now seems to be working normally.

But, really, it shouldn't be losing its firmware periodically. Does this indicate some hardware issue? Bad chip of some kind? Very disconcerting when this happens at a practice or a gig.

Thanks!

Saul

Mike, I've been gigging with the PX5S for over a year now and love it.  It's somewhat high profile, being used as the house keyboard at the #1 Blues Jam in Denver.  I'm using MIDI to drive a Roland organ module for better organ sounds.  Right before the warranty expired a couple of months ago, the PX5 stopped sending a MIDI signal out, and it seemed like a hardware problem.  Shipped back to Jersey, returned to me.  Worked the first time I turned it on, then quit sending signal again after turning it off and back on.  (I think that it was shipped back to me in the on state running on batteries).  Talking with Casio on the phone, we discovered that the only way to get MIDI out to work was to 1) initialize the whole keyboard every time I turn it on, and 2) then reload my custom settings.  No one seems to know why this might be.  I hadn't changed any settings in about 8 months, so don't know why this sudden change.

Anyway, any insight into this would be appreciated.  I'm running firmware 1.10, and am a bit nervous about upgrading that I may have a problem with my long-standing custom settings (which were put in place on 1.10), which took a lot of work.  Again, for 8 months with this firmware and custom settings, it worked fine.  Do you think that updating the firmware would have a bearing on this particular problem?  Would my custom settings install seamlessly?

Thanks!

Hello,

I'm not Mike, but here's my take: Did you try swapping your old cables for new (good quality) ones?  Sometimes these things are due to bad cables.  And if you are reinitializing every time you are turning on the keyboard, you would be losing your custom stage settings, no?   From my experience, there's no disadvantage to upgrading the firmware to 1.12.  Just make sure you back up EVERYTHING you want to keep.  For a firmware upgrade, it's recommended that you back up each custom stage setting individually.  

When upgrading, I recommend unplugging anything that may send a single into the Px-5s:  midi cables, usb cables, inputs/outputs, pedals.  I'd use a dedicated USB drive for the upgrade that you are not using to save PX-5s files (or any other files) to and from.  After the upgrade, initialize everything, turn off the PX-5s and plug everything back in.  Turn it back on and try it with your new midi cables.  Test it extensively in it's initialized state make sure midi is behaving.  Turn it off, let it set for 30 or more seconds, turn it back on and test midi again.  If you are confident that midi seems to work with your new cables and in the default state, start loading your settings back in.  Test midi again with your stage settings.  

• 1 month later...

Has anyone seen a list of what’s in the V1.12 update?

The website just says -

• Solving a problem that unintended note off is occured to a note sounded by an instrument when connecting a specific MIDI device to MIDI IN.       • Solving a problem that user data which was overwrited is set when an instrument is rebooted after overwriting preset data to the user data and load it.       • Improving certain operation.

Is that It.? I was hoping for more. Much more.

Norm