is it possible to reinstall firmware 1.11 over 1.12 ?

User 29303

It's probably because the updated firmware rewrote the bootloader to a format that's incompatible with older versions or else the last update was a series of patches of subroutines which are incompatible with previous firmware.

I understand your frustration but bitching about it accomplishes nothing.

Gary

It's probably because the updated firmware rewrote the bootloader to a format that's incompatible with older versions or else the last update was a series of patches of subroutines which are incompatible with previous firmware.

I understand your frustration but bitching about it accomplishes nothing.

Gary

i am not bitching about it maybe my english is not so good because it´s not my language but i wonder why we don´t get an explanation why ,.,.consider this if i for a mistake upgrade my PX with an older firmware because it was on my stick ? what will happen ? and also isn´t it legitime asking if i have problems after the update ?

I'm just saying that it's a fact of life that updating firmware on 99% of consumer products is a one way street.

Manufacturers usually have good reason for doing so, mainly that they can no longer guarantee the product when an older firmware is written over the latest one.

If you're willing to risk a $1000 machine attempting an experiment to try and revert the firmware then by all means go ahead and void your warranty trying it.  Let us know how that works out for you. ;)

Otherwise, the accepted path when it comes to firmware updates is to approach with caution, read what others have experienced before installing a new one and properly submitting bug reports to the manufacturer in the hopes that they will provide a timely fix in the next update.

Until enough people step up and follow the procedure ranting against the procedure itself will accomplish nothing.

Gary

As for why corporations like Casio don't inform the public immediately about every single detail as to WHY you can't revert, their lawyers told them to keep their mouths shut and not open that can of worms. 

There were plenty of disclaimers on the update page.  They told you up front that it's a risky procedure, that may not be covered by warranty and that it was impossible to revert afterwards.

Legally they're obliged to tell you nothing more and if you don't like the terms of the agreement then click the "I do not accept" button.

Gary

Usually the upgrade to a new version of firmware implies changing the data structures that hold the device configuration. Either the update program or the firmware itself contains special routines that convert the old stuctures to the new ones. It's done only once during the update or on the first powerup afterwards.

Once upgraded the data becomes incompatible with previous firwmware version as it doesn't know how to read them or interprets the data incorrectly. You can't go back as there is no downgrade routine to convert the data to previous form.

It is possible to downgrade but only using factory tools not customer ones. You need to clear the whole flash and program the device using a special flashing software.

• Like 1

It's speculative.  While it may be likely it can't be changed, it would be best to hear that from Mike Martin or Casio.  Opinions, even well educated opinions aren't necessarily the correct answer.

So before everyone gets all charged up, let's hope to hear from Casio or Mike.

• Like 1

What's speculative?  Joe Muscara posted a quote directly from the download page that spells it out.

Applicable Users

PX-5S owners whose instrument is still running Version under 1.12 firmware.     Note that when the firmware of the instrument is updated, the firmware is unreturnable to original version.

You can't seriously get any more horse's mouth than Casio's own download page.

You are right to err on the side of caution and recommend that a downgrade is not advisable.

However, the original version is 1.0, and was never available as a firmware update - so there is no recourse to get that version and restore the PX to that state.  The previous versions 1.10, 1.11 were available for download and are not necessarily considered the original versions.  The waveform tables since 1.10 have been consistent so therefore a downgrade to a previous version other than 1.0 may be possible.  

Should someone try and load in an older version of the firmware?  Probably not.  If they did, it would be completely at their own risk and maybe it breaks their machine.  Should they ask if it's possible and try to get a direct response from a Casio representative?  Most definitely.

Considering the quote was probably originally translated from Japanese to English for the website, it's probably safe to assume they stated "original" when they actually meant to say "previous."

Even so, if you were to phone Casio HQ tomorrow and ask the head of product support the same question he'd probably give you the same answer.

Wow this has really gotten out of hand! The OP's questions and concerns were quite reasonable, especially considering problems that some users seem to be experiencing after the update.

Yes, it is normal for firmware updates to not be downgradeable, but I have known of instances where they not only are, but have been recommended after bugs have been discovered ( my Topfield PVR is just one example). As someone else has indicated, it really depends on what areas of the device's operating system are addressed in firmware.

Members reading and posting comments should also understand that this forum is not restricted to those whose first language is English. Even native English speakers can sometimes post comments that are easily misunderstood - it's an unfortunate side effect of online communication. Imagine how much more difficult it is for those only fluent in another language.

Anyone should be able to come here to seek help or to offer assistance. To respond to questions in a derogative manner as has been done here is not in the spirit of the forum, and in fact, in the case of Mau Van, who has contributed some much with his shared stage settings, it is downright rude.

• Like 1

first of all thank you all for the reply ...thank you Ebonivor for your clean statement..and also thank you happyrat for you rude words...of course ,,,i don´t see any porblem i my question and just to let you know if one of my clients / will ask me some i always will try to help and

explain what is possible or not ...because that´s business....so thank you MIKE because he know how to make business in a

good way....

My Px5 seems not to be the only one with problems after upgrading...this make my question more then legitime ,and i like to thank you Mike for his answer,,,,this is very professional...i will give a try to downgrade if my button porblems persist....and let you know...