Video Files on Forum ×

have you ever used the ringmodulator ?

User 29303

i can turn it around and around i can´t find any use for the ringmodulator in the old

DX / CZ sinthys there was a phase shifting and a modulation of it with ringmod if i remember

but like an Effect ? so ,,,,would this not be a good sostitution adding a stereo spread effect or some else well if you have programmed a cool sound with it let me know ....;)

Hello Mau Van, thanks for some interesting posts. Jan Hammer years ago (Mahavishnu Orchestra-Google if you've never heard of them, a very interesting musical group IMO) used a ring modulator connected to his Wurlitzer electric piano to create a type of "atonal" effect-meaning the pitches would change but in unexpected ways seemingly at random, and in a very unusual way. I haven't tried this effect recently on the newer Casios that can do this. Before synthesizers, a ring modulator was a separate device (I built one) that could be used as a "standalone" effect with any electronic instrument, we used to hook these up to Hammond organs and electric pianos to create a weird effect. Hope this helps you get an idea of what it (historically) was for. it was very "touchy". You had to play with the controls to get it to beat frequencies against each other, and eliminate the original frequency! Here is a Wiki about it with a few audio examples.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_modulation

I'm not sure this is the explanation you were asking for, but thought it might be interesting anyway.

yes i also know the ringmodulator was used to give sound a bell charakter,,,,but in the Px5S this effect  gives me always a non usable output...it doesn´t mater how i set  it up or what kind of wave i use...i can´t get in harmony with it ,,,my first synth was the CZ1 then a VZ1 later a Korg DS9 and DW8000

after this a M1 & M3 and i have played with the Ringmodulator but this time i think it is very minimal to use it maybe it is a problem of the routing

oi think the RM should modulate the wave like an LFO or the Phase of the waves.....anyway maybe CASIO is willing to substitute this effect with another one if this is made by software....?

Right you aret, it should be able to modulate the phase of the waves (harmonics) to get a real ring modulator effect. I don't have the PX5s, only the XW-P1 and i haven't checked this out carefully yet. It may be that the ring modulator in the PX5s is not a "true" ring moduator but rather a kind of "half" modulator that cannot give the full additive/subtractive process with harmonics. A true ring modulator is a pretty complex device. I will study the PX5s and compare it to the XW and let you know what I come up with. Hopefully Mike Martin might help on this too.if it is a full true modulator, you can do some pretty amazing things with it, including vocoder type effects and so-called "heterodyne" sounds sounding like old tube radios when modulating radio stations!

@Mau Van

The ring modulator is a little tricky.  Try balancing the dry and wet level first.  That will give you the tone/pitch of your wave or sample and the harmonics of the modulator.  Balance the levels between the two.  The higher the dry above the wet, the more you'll hear the individual notes clearly.  The higher the wet, the more indiscernible the tonality. 

Next, drop the OscFrequency very low.  Maybe 5 or 6.  Then play your notes and slowly increase OscFrequency until you llike it.  Set the Tone to 0  then slowly increase it.  It seems to make the harmonics more pronounced the higher the value.

The LFOdepth and LFOrate make for some wild frequency osc.  With the LFOrate all the way up, you get an interesting metalic reverb the more you increase the depth.

• Like 2

Exterminate extrminate.

A ringmodulator was also used to create the voice of the Dalek's.

I too built one years ago. it had two inputs. One a carrier and the other the signal or modulator, if i remember correctly.

Great sound, but pretty uncontrollerble.

Norm

very tricky effect i have playesd around a bit and it works very different depending on the sound you choose....in the uper levels it is terrible to listen so it works for me only like a little bell adding effect....anyway i still think some is missing here ,,.,the Phase Modulation....