The whole CZ range are great, and unique digital synthesizers. Often compared to a Yamaha DX7, though despite using similar processing (FM vs PD), the Casio can sound a lot warmer and dirtier. Plus it is MUCH easier to program than the DX7. I got my CZ101 back in 1990 (still have it), and then subesquently bought a CZ3000, which I sold a few months ago. This is because I managed to pick up a CZ-1, the daddy of CZ's! I have the daddy and the baby CZ's in my collection :D

Learned alot about programming on these. I owned the CZ-101, CZ-3000 and CZ-1 when these first came out and were all a load of fun. Had a complete collection of "EZ-CZ" cartridges plus the original smaller capacity ones. All have disappeared now sold everything. I also had a unique programmer's guide-a thick paperback put out by an independent programmer which had some of the best sounds I ever created on these, including some 'concrete" sounds i didn't think were possible without samples-glass breaking, car crashes, explosions, sirens all kinds of cool stuff and pretty realistic considering were done with synth waves and white noise. If i come across this book anywhere I'll post info here.

I was kibitzing around a bit on ebay looking at CZ-101's for sale toying with the idea of hooking one up as a module and then it hit me so I did a google search and discovered what I think is pure unobtanium.

The Casio VZ-10M hardware rack synth module!!!

casio_vz10m_lg.jpg

http://www.vintagesynth.com/casio/vz1.php

It's so beautiful it made my eyes sweat. :(

Wouldn't it be great if Casio rereleased this choice bit of gear for a blast from the past?

Gary ;)

I wrote a CZ patch edttor/librian for DOS (yes   D O S  !) many years ago. Learned a lot about MIDI SYSEX from that experience. Some years back, a guy from France contacted me at the email address I listed in the doc distributed with the program (offered free). He asked (and I permitted him) to use  my code that communicated with the CZ in his Windows version. Still have my CZ101 but I haven't powered it up in years.