Video Files on Forum ×

Connection to data editor/pc problems

DarkFox

Hi guys,

just bought a new xw-g1 and I'm loving it - BUT I can't connect it to the PC via the cable? I've updated to the latest firmware no problem but it keeps saying 'failed to connect'. I've had a search of the web to try and help but apart from another guy on here who had the same problems it hasn't been resolved. Can anyone shed some light on what to do please? I'm running Windows 7 64.

Checklist.

You are running the data editor specifically for the XW-G1?

You are using the usb cable?

Under setting>midi>usb out select is key? and usb in is on?

Data editor preference tab has auto search enabled?

Try another midi program like midi ox.  See if that recognizes the casio usb midi.

Try another usb cable.

Hi BradMZ thanks for the reply.

You are running the data editor specifically for the XW-G1? Yes

You are using the usb cable? Yes

Under setting>midi>usb out select is key? and usb in is on? Yes

Data editor preference tab has auto search enabled? Yes

I've tried midi ox but to be honest I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing there. It does say it recognizes the casio midi though..? 

Under the preference tab of the data under near the auto search check box, does the midi in and midi out boxes show Casio USB-MIDI?  or are they blank?

Yes it says Casio USB-MIDI. When I power off the keyboard they go blank, when I power up they return. I only have one cable so I can't try another. It's very frustrating !!! I appreciate your help.

The cable should be ok if the editor is showing casio usb midi.  

Could another midi program on your computer be tieing up the usb midi communication?

I've just ordered another one to be sure. No I don't have any other midi software running at all on my system. I guess I'll have to install my vangelis sounds via my sd card when it arrives :( Hope that SD slot works!! I really have no idea why it's not communicating. Might be a windows thing. If you think of anything please let me know? Thanks.

BradMZ, I've had a thought....

I DO have SONAR X1 LE installed that was connected in conjunction with my Jupiter 80 - TOTALLY forgotten about it as I haven't used it for a while. Would that affect anything midi wise perhaps?

UPDATE: My SD card arrived just now so I downloaded a few voices from the download section here onto the sd card in .ZSY format.  I copied them over via windows into the XWg1 MUSICDAT folder into the user tone section and stored them on the XW - some of the voices copied over just fine but others say 'wrong data'? What am I doing wrong?

The "wrong data" files were likely made on the XW-p1. They will load on the g1 if you use the data editor to do it.  Just not from the sd card.  If you load them from the editor and then save them to sd card using the g1 they will then be able to load without the error. Also note, the P1 wave list is not exactly the same as the g1 so the files may or may not sound the same.

As long as sonar is not running it shouldn't affect anything.  Maybe download the editor again.  Worth a shot. 

The "wrong data" files were likely made on the XW-p1. They will load on the g1 if you use the data editor to do it.  Just not from the sd card.  If you load them from the editor and then save them to sd card using the g1 they will then be able to load without the error. Also note, the P1 wave list is not exactly the same as the g1 so the files may or may not sound the same.

As long as sonar is not running it shouldn't affect anything.  Maybe download the editor again.  Worth a shot. 

Alright I understand now - I'll try the editor again. .. thanks for your help Brad. 

Still no joy. I'm not very happy. Hope there's a solution to this problem. I see some other guy on here had the same issue. 

Windows is very picky about what gets connected to USB it remembers and store that information, My windows pc has 6 usb connection port if I connect my G1 to the pc on USB 2 , 3 , 4, 5 or 6 it wont connect but because I connected the G1 first time ever on USB 1 port that port is the only port the editor recognize given by windows weird but maybe its the same on you're pc.

Vangelis.zip   Here's the lead patch. I run it through my G1 so it should work for you. 

Let's start from the top and summarize the situation.  I'll also call in some help on this. We'll get this fixed.  :D

1 -You have downloaded this.  http://support.casio.com/en/support/download.php?cid=008&pid=61

2 -Your data editor runs and shows CASIO USB-MIDI on the preference page.

3 -On the keyboard....Setting>MIDI>USBOutSel is [  KEY]   .....and   USB In  [  On]

4 -Confirmed that no other midi programs are running and tying up the midi connection

5 -Confirmed that other software can communicate with the XW via usb midi.  

That last one. #5  ...... If you have midi ox running, does it show event data when you play the keys? 

DarkFox

By any chance, did you install one of the Windows "drivers" from the Casio music site onto your PC prior to connecting your XW, or did you have one already installed for one of the older CTK/WK keyboards ?  The XW's were made to work with the "generic drivers" that have been built-in to Windows since XP Service Pack 2 and MAC-OS since, I believe, OSX 10.6.2.  None of the Casio keyboards produced in the past several years should require the installation of any specific drivers.  The presence of one of the Casio downloadable/installable drivers may interfere with communications between the XW and the "generic built-in drivers".  If this is the case, the "installed" Casio driver should be un-installed.  This excludes drivers for the XW-J1.

I DO have to say that, since Casio never wrote a Vista-64 bit driver, I have an Edirol (Roland) 64 bit driver that I kludged to "look" like a Casio driver and use it for connecting to my old WK-3800.  It works side by side with the "generic" drivers, and allows me to connect the WK-3800 and/or the new CTK/WK's and/or the XW-P1 with no problem, so I suspect that this is really NOT your problem, but am just offering it as something else to consider.  If you do have another Casio driver installed, you should be able to do an "un-install" ("Disable" won't do it !) that leaves the driver on your hard drive so that you can re-install it, if the un-install does not help.

Good luck !

attachicon.gifVangelis.zip   Here's the lead patch. I run it through my G1 so it should work for you. 

Let's start from the top and summarize the situation.  I'll also call in some help on this. We'll get this fixed.   :D

1 -You have downloaded this.  http://support.casio.com/en/support/download.php?cid=008&pid=61

2 -Your data editor runs and shows CASIO USB-MIDI on the preference page.

3 -On the keyboard....Setting>MIDI>USBOutSel is [  KEY]   .....and   USB In  [  On]

4 -Confirmed that no other midi programs are running and tying up the midi connection

5 -Confirmed that other software can communicate with the XW via usb midi.  

That last one. #5  ...... If you have midi ox running, does it show event data when you play the keys? 

BradMZ First of all THANKYOU for the Vangelis patch. I loaded it onto my sdcard and it works great! Thanks for taking the time to do that for me! It was the patch I have been after for ages.

1- I have downloaded that version of the editor YES

2- It displays CASIO-USB-MIDI on the preference page YES

3- Keyboard settings USBOutSel=KEY : USB in=YES

4- No other programs are running midi (I'm pretty sure as I don't have any other musical instruments connected)

5- Tried it with SONAR LE - can't get it to recognize the input from the casio midi usb either in 'input preferences' - says its there but comes up with an error when you tick the box. 

Re: MidiOx, I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing with that one - I tried to 'connect' a midi device via the 'select midi devices to open', ie the casio usb midi and it said 'undefined external error' maybe the same problem as above. My XW might be broken somewhere and I may have to return it perhaps?

@SCOTT HAMLIN - thanks for the input bud, I'd prefer not to completely wipe my PC just yet, but I'll try to see if this works on a friends pc.

@XWADDICT - thanks! Ive tried other usb ports and it still appears in the device manager, just won't connect to data editor. 

@TNICOSON - no I haven't installed any other drivers previously apart from the XW data editor, and the firmware update?

Thank you everyone that is trying to help - i really appreciate you taking the time. 

Yes it says Casio USB-MIDI. When I power off the keyboard they go blank, when I power up they return. I only have one cable so I can't try another. It's very frustrating !!! I appreciate your help.

One thing comes to mind.   The keyboard needs to be ON and connected BEFORE starting the Data Editor.   If you start the Data Editor then turn on the XW-G1 although the device may show up MIDI will not work properly.  This is a Windows issue and has nothing to do with Casio.   

One thing comes to mind.   The keyboard needs to be ON and connected BEFORE starting the Data Editor.   If you start the Data Editor then turn on the XW-G1 although the device may show up MIDI will not work properly.  This is a Windows issue and has nothing to do with Casio.   

Hi Mike. Yes I have done that. Keyboard on BEFORE the editor. Still no joy no matter what I do. I hope this IS a windows issue that can be resolved and not a faulty keyboard. I would have thought there was a workaround for this type of problem as I am not the first to have experienced this? 

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/5243-xw-g1-data-editor-v120-failing-to-connect-problem-win-7-64/

I have contacted Casio direct and a technical representative will be contacting me shortly. Hope he can shed some light on this. 

You really need to try another computer.  Everything indicates that the XW itself is working properly.  I think something on your computer is disrupting the midi communication.  You would not have been able to perform the firmware update if the usb on the XW was malfunctioning. Have you restarted Windows 7 lately?  or do you just put it in sleep mode?  or leaving it running mostly?