Connection to data editor/pc problems

DarkFox

DarkFox, 

Our tech support will likely bump this to me, so you're already dealing with the highest level of tech support at Casio America.  I'll contact Tokyo and see if they have any other ideas.  In the meantime...

What doesn't make sense is that you say you updated the firmware - this can only be done via USB.  This proves that USB is working.  You also say that it is showing up in the MIDI preferences of the editor does it say something like "Failed to Connect"? 

• Like 1

DarkFox, 

Our tech support will likely bump this to me, so you're already dealing with the highest level of tech support at Casio America.  I'll contact Tokyo and see if they have any other ideas.  In the meantime...

What doesn't make sense is that you say you updated the firmware - this can only be done via USB.  This proves that USB is working.  You also say that it is showing up in the MIDI preferences of the editor does it say something like "Failed to Connect"? 

Hi Mike, yes it says exactly that. 'failed to connect'. I've restarted my system several times too. And the puzzling thing is that it downloaded the latest firmware version via USB! 

I'll try to borrow another computer tomorrow and see if it works on that one. It has to be a driver issue. Thanks for your input, I do appreciate everyone's help on this. 

• Like 1

DarkFox,

The "Driver" is built-in to Windows.  It isn't a driver, Casio products are "class-compliant".   

More than likely it is a conflict with another device or piece of software in your system.  

Please list any other USB devices you have connected.  What kind of computer are you using?  By chance is it connected to a USB 3.0 port? 

Hey Mike, thanks for your reply.

I'm using an intel i7 950 CPU @ 3.07Ghz, 6MB Ram.

USB devices connected are:

Mouse, Logitech G600
Keyboard, Razer Blackwidow
Webcam, Logitech C270
Wireless LAN card/dongle

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP1.

The XWG1 has been connected to various ports, not USB 3.0. Just regular USB ports. Same result I'm afraid. I'll have another crack at it tomorrow on a friends PC. 

DarkFox

I found several reports on other forums (gaming) of the Razer Blackwidow and Magelodon keyboards either disabling all USB ports other than the one they are connected to, or causing conflicts with other USB devices connected to the same PC (primarily USB mice).  These incidences appear to be widely sporadic and depend mostly upon the specific hardware of the PC they are connected to.  If you have a generic keyboard, you might try connecting that instead, and if you installed a specific driver for the Blackwidow, you should temporarily un-install it.

• Like 1

God help us, Windows 7 is notorious for an endless string of non-operating USB drivers one of the many reasons I hate Windows and not just for music hardware. For instance:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/165554-usb-driver-general-fix-problems.html

I have found no easy solution and have studied many websites trying to solve your problem. Windows has a history of incompatibility issues with many USB hardware devices. This goes back to Windows 95 and through many iterations of Windows, obviously the problem has still not been solved. The answer may be in your registry, which I wouldn't touch unless you really know what you are doing-I do and I still don't like to. Unfortunately, Windows saves every incident of a USB device plugged in, whether it works or not, in the registry and keeps it there, forever. It effectively will disable an entire USB port and keep it that way unless your registry settings for that "incident" is completely deleted. I know, I've done this. And you can't delete these unless you have "permissions" set up with full administrator privileges. Plus, Windows 7 requires youto  install certain drivers and software at the "administrator" level or it won't work, it may look like it worked, but it won't.  I thought by now this problem would have been solved in 7 and 8, it hasn't been-I think you've hit one of these Windows "deadzones".

You might try updating all your Windows "updates" (USB drivers were updated through service packs in XP) but there is no guarantee that will work either. And 64-bit Windows is even worse as far as incompatibility, many devices will not work with 64-bit Windows. Do some Google searches, its a horror show. I wish i could offer a solution. There may be someone who has a "patch" that will change all the registry settings at once and start you fresh. If I come up with something, I'll post it. Sorry if I sound discouraging, but I've spent years troubleshooting Windows issues with music devices, its never easy. I hope someone finds a simple solution, I'd love to hear it.

First of all I'd like to say thanks to everyone who has tried to help me sort out this issue. I will try poking about my Pc and disabling things, webcams, trying other keyboards etc like you you have suggested to see f it rectifies the problem.

But for now I think I'll say bye to this thread. I really don't know where to go from here so I will let this one go. It's a shame that windows can be such a pain in doing something so simple like connecting another device. Crazy.

Anyway, thanks again guys.

BradMZ

XWAddict

tnicoson

Scott Hamlin

Mike Martin

Jokeyman123

I really appreciate you taking your time to try to help my problem get sorted out. If by some miraculous reason you stumble across a 'fix' to this, please let me know. - and IF I manage to fix it I'll certainly post it here.

thanks again and all the best. 

Andy

Dark Fox,

Don't give up just yet. As has been suggested, try your XW and the data editor on another computer as this ought to highlight whether the issue is your XW or your computer (I'm guessing the computer). Furthermore, Windows gets a lot of flack, and for sure it isn't perfect, though many 3rd party programs are poorly written, and some hardware is not designed quite right and can cause such issues. Windows is being expected to cope with so many things it's no surprise that occasionally things don't go to plan.

A systematic and logical approach I feel will isolate where exactly the problem lies. Try another computer first, and if that all works fine then the problem is your computer/ configuration. Then you can try and isolate the various bits of hardware using the USB ports on your computer and eventually you may find the culprit.

Good luck, and please keep the forum posted with your findings.

Chas

• Like 1

@Jokeyman123 - I tried that link you posted and erased all the greyed out USB's that appeared in device manager - there was quite a few! Also disabled the option to 'put the usb's to sleep' function as that could be a culprit.

@Larry - Thanks for the jetclean link. I use a similar program called Ccleaner :)

@Chas - Thanks for your support and you're absolutely right. Windows does get some stick for things that instantly 'don't work' - but I would have thought in 2014 a simple midi connection would be no problem with a 64 bit operating system? I had no problems whatsoever when I plugged my Jupiter 80 in. That worked like a dream. It's just this Casio midi connection that's giving me the runaround. I have no doubt that's it's my PC now. I even tried it via a MIDI to USB cable, and a signal was getting through the cable (it has indicator lights) - just not recognized by SONAR or the data editor. 

I'm systematically disabling things and trying new ways until I can try it all on a different PC. Webcam totally removed and disabled etc. Still no joy yet. 

Everyone thanks again. I'll keep you posted if I get it to work.

Andy 

Darkfox-that tells me something-it means there are settings left in the registry for all these usb device installs. Without manually uninstalling all these usb settings, the usb ports will still be looking for these devices-and if there are several "incidents" on the same port, this could be the problem-the registry is looking for all the other devices first, but will not be able to recognize any new devices (sometimes). I've had this problem with card readers and outboard hard drives. Try running "Eusing free registry cleaner" and see if that helps. I have used at least a dozen different registry "correction" and "cleaner" tools, including the one in crap cleaner which is very good.Run that, then run Eusing, There will be a ton of obsolete entries removed even after you run CC. Eusing is the most thorough I have found that does not damage the registry.Iit is freeware I use it constantly-you will be surprised what gets left over. There is a possibility this may get rid of the obsolete references to your USB devices and solve the problem although even with programs like this, I've had to manually delete usb entries to bring my usb ports back, but this was with xp. Unlike many other "registry cleaners" this one has never caused any problems and I've used it windows 98, XP SP 2 and 3 and 7 Professional and Home Premium. I'd bet money the registry entries are fouling you up.Don't try to delete anything manually with "regedit" which is Windows executable for the registry, unless you really know your way around the registry.

hi Jokeyman123,

I'll certainly have a go at what you suggest. In the meantime, I have recently bought a yamaha MW12C mixer. It connects via usb also - installed it no problems.

NOW I can play my XW-G1 and my Jupiter through the mixer to CUBASE or SONAR. Just spent 2 hours setting it all up. Once I'd got all the inputs configured correctly in CUBASE it all good to go.

At least I can play and record now via the mixer and either DAW.

Still, at least I have the problem with the editor/connection to G1 and none of you guys do. A small blessing indeed ;)

Keep you all posted.

Andy

OK try this connect you're G1 again on the computer start the editor and in the editor go to the preference tab if you see just below midi says auto search turn that off if right the editor automatically finds the connection without auto search. 

• 2 weeks later...

There is another solution at home you can do, but it's more of a work around and that's installing windows on another partition of your hard drive (or another spare hard drive if you prefer) or ssd if you don't have another laptop, or pc, but as a safe guard disconnect from the internet and do not register it or activate it when it requests you to ( you can't accidentally if it's not connected ;)), this will save you having to buy another copy of Windows 7. I can pretty much guarantee it will work, in my case because I'm using a Laptop with a 32 bit processor so I installed Windows 7 32 Bit version. 

The problem is either related to a service which needs restarted or/and what needs to be deleted in the registery. I've not got to the bottom or it yet myself but these are your options apart from, finding the cause, re-installing Windows again over your's original or buying Win 7 or 8 again, if you have no friends that can help.

• Like 1

Thanks Scottym, I've never had a problem with any other piece of equipment EXCEPT this one and to be totally honest I've given up with it. Which is a real shame as it's such a great keyboard. Maybe someday I'll discover what's wrong and be able to fix it, but until that day comes, I'm leaving it well alone.