Video Files on Forum ×

How to Make Distorted Organ Sound

Keith Emerson Fan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think I messed with a DSP on a performance to get a nice distorted sound like an amped Deep Purple or Steppenwolf that I'm using. PM me if you still are looking for it and I'll look on my synth. One thing I found is that tweaking settings can sound quite different depending on the type of speaker/amplification you use.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It looks like there is a better distortion effect on the Privia PX-5S, I wonder if it could be implemented in the XW-P1.  it's the only disappointment I have with buying the XW-P1.  Mike's claim that all nord users are usint the Ventilator is not true.  The distortion on the Electro is just fine for live performance.  On the XW P1 it's way too crunchy.

Funny, but here's what Ken Hughes had to say about the WK-7500's organ sound in Keyboard magazine (June 2011):

"Realism can be enhanced a bit in the Tone Editor, which yields a better-quality overdrive than expected. At extreme settings, it’s completely fizzy, so Marshall-head-througha- Leslie sounds are out of bounds, but when used with restraint, the overdrive sounds downright pleasing."

Now, is the overdrive in the XW-P1's rotary effect the same as that in the WK-7500 or not? If it's the same how could Ken Hughes find it "downright pleasing"? I haven't heard of anyone else expressing that opinion about the overdrive at ANY setting. If the overdrive is different in the XW-P1 (the implication being that it is worse) how (why) did that happen?

I don't know if I'd call it "downright pleasing" but if you're using the rotary DSP effect and back off on the organ Volume setting (this seems to control the signal level into the rotary effect) you can get a more subtle dirty distortion, rather than the hive of angry bees with chainsaws of the full on distortion.  :) 

Hold down the Mixer/Effects button until you're in the Effects Edit.

You can then adjust the gain for the distortion, which will get you started, (2 seems the best to me) but you'll get a lot more accomplished if you screw around with the EQ frequencies and their associated gains. Hammond is a far more mid-rangey and ballsy sound, so back off on the upper frequencies, boost their gain only a little, and take the gain of the low, low-mid, and high mid up to about 6. Keep the high in there only for a touch of treble.

Once you have the amount of distortion you want, mess with the freqs to get the color you want.

It ain't as good as my Kronos' BX-3 engine, but in a pinch it will do the job.

..Joe

The Effects Settings are saved with the Performance, just make sure while in Performance mode to hit the Menu button, go to PrfmFilter, and make sure all the settings for Sys Rev, Sys Cho, and Master EQ are set to Off, or else you will always just be using the global effects settings.