using a microphone with the CTK 7000

This is a quality mic. It is also low impedance (I looked up the spec sheet) which means it will be "mismatched" with the relatively high impedance/weak gain input of the CTK7000. According to the spec sheet, this mic terminates with a balanced XLRM connector-so I guess you are using some kind of adapter to change it to the CTK7000 1/4" input? If you are, it won't work because it needs an adapter/transformer to change the impedance to the CTK7000 but yes you may still need a mic preamp with this mic. A straight xlr to 1/4" adapter won't work with highimpedance inputs, obviously the CTK7000 is one of those. Did you buy new or used? If used, maybe somebody changed the end plug to a standard 1/4" which will not work either.

The signal or gain out of a pro mic is low because it expects pre-amps in your mixing board or digital recorder to keep the signal path free of external noise from cables. Even a usb audio interface to a computer needs a mic preamp built-in to get a low impedance mic to work direct to your computer DAW. Your ipod works because it is high-impedance as are most 1/8" 1/4" consumer electronics outputs.  Somewhere around here there is a post and pics of the mic transformer that you might need. The mic works wih your guitar amp because there is a huge amount of gain in the amp, since a guitar although high impedance puts out a relatively weak signal and needs plenty of "juice". Not sure its a good idea to use this mic with a guitar amp either. I don't think it will harm anything, but the quality sound will not be there.  Anybody else here, correct me if I'm wrong and sorry to be so wordy, but there you go, I'll shutup now.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just got back to this. I haven't tried any adapters other than an XLR to 1/4 that I bought with the mic. I read up when I bought the mic and thought I had the impedance figured out but I guess not. Good thing is I got the mic new and pretty cheap so if I have to get a different one I am ok with that. Any suggestions? Anybody using a mic that they would vouch for with the Casio?

• 3 months later...

I just got back to this. I haven't tried any adapters other than an XLR to 1/4 that I bought with the mic. I read up when I bought the mic and thought I had the impedance figured out but I guess not. Good thing is I got the mic new and pretty cheap so if I have to get a different one I am ok with that. Any suggestions? Anybody using a mic that they would vouch for with the Casio?

Ok I got the Mic to work by running it through an Avid Fast track solo and into the 3.5mm stereo input on the keyboard (the avid will take an iPod so I didn't lose that capability and will take a guitar too and adjust levels on the Mic and guitar separately) so now what Mic will work with the Mic input on the keyboard and not need a preamp?

• 2 weeks later...

I finally was able to use the Pro61 successfully at the mic input with a a CP8201 In-Line Transformer from Audio Techica. This is what you need if your mic is low impedance (300 ohm in my case). I do not know what the threshold is ohms wise but this inline adapter solves the impedance and converts from XLR to 1/4". Kudos to Jokeyman123 who originally suggested this.