Video Files on Forum ×

Setting parameters to be controlled by midi CC messages?

Rca999

hi everyone, hope you can help and/or find this helpful

Is there a way to set a parameter, say cut off, to be controlled by a CC message, say CC#2? I have found much to my delight that my akai ewi works pretty great with the px-5s (and the xw-p1 too) but would benefit from setting certain things to breath control.

I was able to use the ewi with the px-5s for an entire run of a musical playing strings, bassoon, english horn, clarinet and synth on the ewi and a bunch of stuff on the px5s like eps, organs, harp, chord holds on strings and accordion. The Ewi only takes up on zone; I set the midi channel to two so zone two was the ewi. On that zone only the ewi could play, whether it's on or not and all the other zones work beautifully still. This keyboard just keeps getting better and better.

One other question, when ever I played a string sound if I tonged notes, like a wind player would, on the ewi it would repeat the last note on the attack, on the xw-p1 it does not do this. Can this have to do with release polyphony? And I f so how does one change that?

Thanks

Rob

Hi Rob!

For your first question, the filter cutoff is already assigned to CC74.  If you have to send it on another CC, you'd probably have to get some sort of processor to go in between the two devices to translate.  I can't see that you'd have to do that, though, since CC74 is a MIDI reserved parameter for filter cutoff.  For other CCs, check out the MIDI implementation chart in the back of the Tutorial Manual:  http://media.wix.com/ugd/1d195a_fa36445cf8362469a88ce7c67d143237.pdf .

I'm afraid I can't help you on the second question.  I don't know anything about the XW-P1, and I'm not sure exactly what you're asking.  Did you mean that by "trilling" a note with the tongue on the EWI, the PX-5S does as intended (which is...?) but the XW-P1 doesn't?  Sorry, I'm not a woodwind player.

Jason

Hi Jaspeter,

Sorry for the confusion, actually it's the other way around, on the px-5s if I tongue a string sound, like a wind player would attack a note, then the previous note I attacked is repeated with the one I'm playing. On almost all other sounds this does not happen. It's like if you where to play a note on the keyboard and when you play the next one it also plays with it the one before.

On this particular EWI ( ewi4000s) the breath sensor can only select volume, velocity, expression, breath and after touch so I think I'll need a processor for it.

Thanks for the insight

Rob