Video Files on Forum ×

New PX-5S MIDI Designer Template in the Works

Display Name

This piece of news was announced during the PX-5S clinic: New MIDI Designer template for the PX-5S is being made as we speak.

This update adds some very powerful features based on PX-5S owner feedback. One touch global transpose, system tuning, audio in level, wav playback volume and system compression will be one touch of the finger tip away.

This is huge for live performers and is, in effect, an touch-screen extension of the PX-5S control panel.

More news as it develops! 

2pskeif.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

What has happened to this layout has it been abandoned?

I find the editor (small text) and onboard screen quite hard to use as my eyesight is not as sharp as it was - the ipad is much easier!

Is there a way to make text and controls bigger on the editor besides zooming the whole screen?

Thanks for the reply Brad. Its confusing as I just watched a youtube video where a Casio rep was playing the PX-5S and talking about the new ipad app which doesn't seem to exist!

Shame the data editor can't be programmed to play a melody on the PX-5S as you adjust the controls so you could hear the effect. Would certainly speed things up for me as I can't get the keyboard close enough to the computer.

To clarify, the new template is an update to an existing one designed to be used with a general purpose midi controller app called midi designer. An older template has been available for download here in the download section and the midi designer app is available on iTunes.    

Template....http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/files/file/288-privia-px-5s-midi-designer-layouts-iphone-and-ipad/

Yes Brad I think that is what is confusing as it is not free (all though it appears it was at one time) and it doesn't control everything which is how the new app is described in the video. I assume Casio is doing something similar to what was done for their Synthesiser although there is nothing on the Casio website about it. I know he is a salesman but its a bit naughty to promote using non existent software!

I downloaded the Synth app and it is quite impressive but obviously no good for the PX-5S. Maybe someone from Casio can comment?

HI Rogerft, it is unfortunate that the free version of MIDI Designer is no longer available, however, it was at the time the initial announcement was made. 

The developer of the MIDI Designer app is probably one of the most supportive that I have ever come across and those of us who use the app extensively have no qualms about paying for it. That said, it does put Casio in an awkward position, but you can rest assured that Mike Martin (who is incidentally not just a salesman, but the designer of most of the best PX-5S sounds and a dedicated provider of support), will be doing his utmost to deliver on the promise. In fact, it is Mike who is doing the programming and he also produced the XW version. How he has the time to do all that he does is astounding.

I am also working on a similar MIDI Designer layout, in fact with many more features than that which was announced, but there are some issues with the app that are preventing me from releasing it for general use. I imagine that Mike may have also been affected by some of those, but the developer is working hard to resolve them for us. In the meantime, most of us have so much to thank Mike Martin for that the delay with the MIDI Designer app pales into insignificance.

One last thing...don't expect any version of a MIDI Designer interface to perform all the functions of the Data Editor. There are aspects that simply cannot be addressed.

One more last thing :-) ...my eyesight also is not what it used to be and it doesn't help that monitors are getting bigger but the pixel pitch is getting smaller! My 24" monitor has a native resolution of 1920x1200 pixels. My wife is always complaining that the text is too small when I get her to do some work for me, so I switch it to 1600x1200 for her. She needs to do bit more scrolling, but not as much as on the iPad Air!

• Like 2

Whoever the Casio rep was in that video, they misspoke. This template is still in progress and based on conversations with the team at MIDI Designer when it is complete it will be released as a FREE standalone app.

Despite perception, it isn't my job to make apps, sounds, or work on support forums. These are things that I do outside of my normal job at Casio. The MIDI Designer layout is very time consuming. Luckily there is a user on the FB forum that has taken what I started and taken this very far. His layout is beyond what I started. I'll be working with him to finish this up.

• Like 4

Ebonivor, thanks for your reply, I purchased my PS-5S a few months back and there was no mention of free apps so I had no expectations. I am not on FB but from this forum can see the effort Mike has made with support and development.

I know what you mean about resolution and readabilty, I have a 24" Imac and have problems reading my Mail Inbox somthing apple ignore which is surprising given their user demographic! Unfortunately I find the data editor difficult to read too hence my interest in Ipad apps which I can read!

I have no problem with purchasing Midi designer if there is a layout available, good luck with you efforts.

Mike, hello and thanks for replying.

The video I saw was a sales promotion of the PX-5S for Reidys done by a Casio rep. Given that many customers now buy online It is unfortunate that the information was not accurate and in fact gave the impression there was a new app developed by Casio. (Not something by Midi Designer under informal development by yourself and others).

I think anyone making a purchase after seeing this video by an employee would have a perfect right to be less than happy with Casio. Once these things get onto the web its hard to do much about it!

From my perspective I already owned the keyboard so have no issue other than an interest in what might become available. I understand your position that you are just trying to help owners and out of self interest and thank you for that.

Roger

Roger, thanks for clarifying the situation. How about coming over and joining us on the Facebook group? You'll find a lot of great friends there, lots of lighthearted banter and heaps of help from the members. We currently have over 1100 members and growing fast, plus there a quite a few of us who are "getting on in years"...although I think I might be the only septagenarian! I had little interest in Facebook before joining the group, but the friends I have found there brighten every day!

• Like 1

Ebonivor - Thanks for the FB invite much appreciated but I already spend far too much time on the web! So far I have resisted Face Book (after seeing how much time my family spend there) despite urging from friends.

Thanks also for your insight into the possibility of new midi designer s/w, I will look forward to that.

• 1 month later...

Hi Leoaprilla2001,

I've been unable to do any work on the MIDI Designer layout for a while due to an RSI problem. This is starting to subside and I'm hoping to resume work on my version soon. However, I believe MIDI Designer is dropping support for the first generation iPad. This is not surprising, because the latest version iOS won't run on the original iPad either, and because Apple have also introduced a new programming language for iOS (Swift), MIDI Designer needs to move with the times. You might want to clarify this situation with the developer.

On the matter of progress, I am finding it difficult to determine exactly what is expected from a MIDI Designer layout for the PX-5S. I think the general expectation is that it will be an iPad version of the Data Editor, but I don't believe this will be possible. The PX-5S is a very complex instrument and I am finding that many of the functions that are accessible via the Data Editor are difficult to address from MIDI Designer. I am still hopeful that there is someone out there who might be able to translate the information in the PX-5S Midi Implementation Manual into a format that a simpleton like me can understand! In the meantime, I would welcome any suggestions of essential features that you would like to see included....I just don't see my version having the same functionality as the XW version. I will, however, be uploading a layout based on my own needs to the Facebook group ( and probably also to the MIDI Designer site) in the next few days and would welcome comment on it.

• Like 1

I just saw some good news from Dan Rosenstark, the developer of MIDI Designer. Apparently, the current version of MIDI Designer (1.6.5) is compatible with the first generation iPad, but the next major release will require iOS8. That means that you will be able to continue using the app on iPad1 and I think it is safe to say that Dan will continue to provide support for version 1.6.5 for as long as it is practical to do so.

• Like 1