Video Files on Forum ×

Is there something wrong with my CTK 7000?

Ok just need to make sure. I've seen the old CTK 6500 or whatever it was, previous model, and the ring around the spin dial glows blue. Mine doesn't on this model. Issue or feature? 2: The drawbar organ mode, I can't get full operation of the drawbars. EG, going 878656887, I can only do basically 0, 2, 4, 8 with the bars. Again...Problem or feature?

Both things you talk about seems to work as intended.

The newer CTK7200 also doesn't have that light (a feature to me, I hate excesively bright or blinking lights on keyboards) and one of the main differences from the CTK7000 to the CTK7200 is having full working drawbars (every position from 0 to 8 works as in an original Hammond B3).

You are indeed correct regarding the drawbar settings on the CTK 7000 or the WK7500.

I own a Hammond A-143 which is a console version of a Hammond B3 and also own a Casio WK7500.  The Casio is a drawbar set organ sound, not a Hammond clone.   Hammond organs have what they call "Foldback" where the tone generator tones are repeated at different octaves.   The Casio does not have "Foldback".    I've heard comparisons of the Casio drawbar versus the Roland drawbar and they are remarkably close in sound to each other.    As they should be really.   A drawbar sounding an 8' pipe should be just that.  

Hammonds also have a warmer sound but that is because of the tube amplifiers they use.   The Casio has a very bright sound when using the drawbars. On the upper drawbars, they can produce a sound that seems out of place, over whelming.   Lowering the setting on the upper drawbars tames that sound. 

On the website for clonewheel organs, they rate the Casio with the 4 drawbar settings versus the 8 drawbar settings.   It was found not to be as big of problem as expected.   And really if you have a Hammond setting of 878656887 and you can hear the differences between drawbars set at 8, 7 and 6, you need to purchase a Nord or one of the Hammond portables to get that level of accuracy.   Those keyboards however do not begin to have the versatility of the Casio.  

Josh

WK7500

CTK900

Hammond 143

Leslie 145

The Casio has a very bright sound when using the drawbars. On the upper drawbars, they can produce a sound that seems out of place, over whelming.   Lowering the setting on the upper drawbars tames that sound.

+1 to that.

I've also noted the two or three trebblier drawbars to be excesively noticeable, they have a permanent character which sounds like mixed a bit too high, too notorious. It's harder to explain than to notice it when listening.

Anyway, I must say I'm really happy with my CTK7200 (I only miss a true Vox Continental emulation, that would make it perfect).

You are indeed correct regarding the drawbar settings on the CTK 7000 or the WK7500.

I own a Hammond A-143 which is a console version of a Hammond B3 and also own a Casio WK7500.  The Casio is a drawbar set organ sound, not a Hammond clone.   Hammond organs have what they call "Foldback" where the tone generator tones are repeated at different octaves.   The Casio does not have "Foldback".    I've heard comparisons of the Casio drawbar versus the Roland drawbar and they are remarkably close in sound to each other.    As they should be really.   A drawbar sounding an 8' pipe should be just that.  

Hammonds also have a warmer sound but that is because of the tube amplifiers they use.   The Casio has a very bright sound when using the drawbars. On the upper drawbars, they can produce a sound that seems out of place, over whelming.   Lowering the setting on the upper drawbars tames that sound. 

On the website for clonewheel organs, they rate the Casio with the 4 drawbar settings versus the 8 drawbar settings.   It was found not to be as big of problem as expected.   And really if you have a Hammond setting of 878656887 and you can hear the differences between drawbars set at 8, 7 and 6, you need to purchase a Nord or one of the Hammond portables to get that level of accuracy.   Those keyboards however do not begin to have the versatility of the Casio.  

Josh

WK7500

CTK900

Hammond 143

Leslie 145

The WK7600/CTK 7200 was 9 levels in the drawbar see page E-51:

"1 Adjustment to one of nine levels, from 0 to 8, is supported.

Each level is indicated by the level meter as shown below"

See WK7500/7200 PAGE E-53

http://support.casio.com/en/manual/008/CTK7000_WK7500_EN.pdf

Using Drawbar Organ Tones
E-53
The table below shows the parameters that c
an be configured on the
drawbar editor screen.
The settings marked with an asterisk (
) in the “Setting Range” column are initial defaults.
• While the drawbar edit screen is disp
layed, you can change the parameters of
drawbar 16' through 1' using sliders
D-4 (16')
through
D-12 (1')
Drawbar Organ Tone Parameter Settings
Parameter Name
Setting
Setting Range
Ft16' to Ft1'
(Drawbar 16' to Drawbar 1')
Adjusts a tone’s foot “length” harm
onic overtone levels (16' to 1'). 0 to 3

Clear that Casio will not play like a hammond, but have much more features than a keyboard with no factory drawbar organs, I'm still learning how to edit the drawbars and effects and distortion level, leslie and percussive and I realized that even in percussive gives to edit the wave of the click.

Similarly a keyboard that does not sound like a Hammond B3, it also does not sound like a Steinway piano!

The WK7600/CTK 7200 was 9 levels in the drawbar see page E-51:

"1 Adjustment to one of nine levels, from 0 to 8, is supported.

Each level is indicated by the level meter as shown below"

See WK7500/7200 PAGE E-53

http://support.casio.com/en/manual/008/CTK7000_WK7500_EN.pdf

Using Drawbar Organ Tones
E-53
The table below shows the parameters that c
an be configured on the
drawbar editor screen.
The settings marked with an asterisk (
) in the “Setting Range” column are initial defaults.
• While the drawbar edit screen is disp
layed, you can change the parameters of
drawbar 16' through 1' using sliders
D-4 (16')
through
D-12 (1')
Drawbar Organ Tone Parameter Settings
Parameter Name
Setting
Setting Range
Ft16' to Ft1'
(Drawbar 16' to Drawbar 1')
Adjusts a tone’s foot “length” harm
onic overtone levels (16' to 1'). 0 to 3

Clear that Casio will not play like a hammond, but have much more features than a keyboard with no factory drawbar organs, I'm still learning how to edit the drawbars and effects and distortion level, leslie and percussive and I realized that even in percussive gives to edit the wave of the click.

Similarly a keyboard that does not sound like a Hammond B3, it also does not sound like a Steinway piano!

The Casio does sound pretty close to a Hammond B3 and a Steinway!   Close enough to be worthy.

The drawbar organ is one of the best features that sets the Casio CTK+WK 7000's  apart from all the keyboard competitors at the price the Casio sells for. .   To be honest, it took me a while to appreciate the WK7500.   Being an organist,  the Hammond has water fall keys, the WK's- have piano style keys.   My CTK-900 Casio has diving board keys.   Palm glissando's are rough with piano keys.  But a change in technique, all is well sweeping my palms across the piano style keys.   Balancing the sound took a while to figure out and adjust to my tastes.   But now that I dialed in the settings and I got used to the instrument, the Casio is really an awesome keyboard.   The split and layering have great tonal clarity and the mixer does balance the sounds to what you need.    I'm finding new ways to use the keyboard every gig we play.    Editing the effects,. tones, distortion, rotary speaker settings is powerful.  Once you learn how to set the organ up, you can play almost any song with drawbar organ and have it sound very close to the original organ or set it up for a unique sound you create!. 

• Like 1