Video Files on Forum ×

Stuck Note

jimmyjames

I have a gig comming up where I need to take a pared down rig.  I had to decide between my NE4 SW 73 and the PX5S.  The song list appears to be quite piano heavy so I chose the latter.  There are still a couple songs where a Hammond type organ sound is needed though and the internal rotary sim of the PX5S just doesn't cut it for me so put an order in for the new Hammond Leslie pedal.  In order to get ready for the pedal, I pulled up the Nine Layer Organ I posted last year and stripped out the internal rotary sim and got rid of a bit chorusing I had added to the original setting to try to make the rotary sim sound better.  Now I have a nice clean organ sound to run through the new pedal (I will post it if anyone is interested).

When I was running through the settings trying to adjust things, I was noticing if I hit a particular key softly several times in a row, certain layers would start to drop out.  Then if I tried to play after that, a note would sometimes but not always get stuck on.  I thought it might be a velocity triggering issue, but all the velocities appear to be set to 0.  My only guess here is that since this setting uses all 14 available layer, maybe when I do a rapid succession of key striking I am burning through the available polyphony too quickly which is making the PX5S unhappy.  Anyone else have experience with stuck notes under similar circumstances?

A PS on this...would love it if the next gen of the PX5S added a second set of outputs together with the ability to send each zone to one of the two outputs.  That way one could have, for example, an organ in one zone running through a Leslie pedal and everything else running clean.  You could split the keyboard and use everything in one setting.  With only one set of outputs, the Leslie pedal is on or off for everything.  Seems to me a second set of outputs would be a relatively easy and inexpensive add, but then again, I have no expertise in the arena.

I haven't had a stuck note issue, but I have noticed the other issue you mentioned with the notes changing volume on rapid succession with the organ patch. If I remember right, it resolved itself when I unplugged the USB. I don't know if you had it plugged in or not, but it's a thought.

I should mention another quirk I discovered with the onboard Rotary emulator.  When you apply the "brake" and the speaker "parks", it doesn't always park in the middle.  This is probably what happens in real life, but then your panning gets messed up.  That's not really a problem running a summed signal, but if you're using the rotary, you may not want to run the summed signal.

A related quirk is that the effect seems to be dependent on the note!  For instance, after I've "braked" the rotary and then run up the scale, there is a significant volume difference between notes.  Since the velocity sense is set to zero, this isn't due to natural variation in me hitting the keys.  If I start it up again and then brake it again, there is still a difference between notes, but now the difference occurs for different notes than it did the first time.

I thought about using the wet/dry mix to add rotary instead of the start/brake but then if I'm also using distortion, that fades out, too.  Maybe someone more familiar with the real thing or a fancy Leslie simulator can tell me if this behavior is normal or not.

I purchased the Hammond Leslie pedal and I am quite impressed with it.  I have never used a Neo Vent so I don't have that to compare it to but I played it side-by-side with my Nord E4 sim which has a new 122A sim and the Hammond pedal sounds every bit as good to me...although slightly different.  It definitely brings the organ sounds on the PX-5S several steps closer to the real thing although the PX-5S still lacks a good vibrato/chorus sim and controllable percussion...but straight up sounds are plenty good to gig with IMO.  The overdrive on the pedal is a bit tricky to work with and I will need to find a way to make it easily usable.

Jaspeter, I haven't noticed any volume differences between notes with this new pedal in the brake position.  I am still getting occasional layer drop-outs with a modified Nine Layer Organ Setting, but it hasn't had it morphed into a stuck note in a couple days.