DAW MIDI instrument definitions for PX-780 or PX-350 (Patchnames list or patch scripts for computer sequencer such as Cubase or SONAR)

Altitude

I'd like to control the PX-780 from Cubase (which is a computer DAW sequencer similar to Sonar or Cakewalk). That would be much easier if I could find a patchname script file (.txt) or an instrument definitions file (.ins file) for the PX-780.

Does anyone know where I can find such a file for the PX-780? (I assume the file for a PX-350 would be similar.)

If a patch script file is available, I would be much more likely to buy a PX-780, instead of a Roland, Yamaha, or Korg keyboard.

Thanks.

For reference, here are some relevant links:

http://cubase.rivetedstudios.com/cat_view/34-cubase-files/35-patch-scripts.html

http://www.heikoplate.de/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=87&Itemid=74

ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/PC_Stuff/Patchname_Script_Maker/English/ReadMe.txt

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/4862-privia-px-5s-cubase-patch-script/

• Like 1

There is a Casio-made patch script for the PX-5S here:

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/files/file/246-privia-px-5s-cubase-patch-script/

I've pasted some of it below, just to show the format.

I wonder how much of that would apply to the PX-350 or PX-780.

Unfortunately, the task of creating a patch script for the PX-350 or PX-780 has been made more difficult because Casio has made it impossible to drag and copy from the tone list in the pdf manual.

( In the PX-780 manual tutorial, it's on page A-1 here: http://support.casio.com/pt/manual/008/PX5S_en_PT.pdf )

So you can't just copy and paste it into Excel.

Actually, you can't copy text from anywhere in the pdf manual. What's the point of that? They should have saved the pdf in a format that would allow copying.  :angry:

Anyway, here's how the PX-5S patch list starts:

[cubase parse file]
[parser version 0001]
[comment] www.casiomusicgear.com

[creators first name] Mike
[creators last name] Martin
[device manufacturer] Casio
[device name] Casio Privia PX-5S
[script name] PX-5S
[script version] Version .5

[define patchnames]
[g1]         Piano
[p2, 0, 64, -1] GrPnoConcert
[p2, 1, 64, -1] Rock Piano
[p2, 2, 64, -1] GrPno Studio
[p2, 3, 64, -1] GrPno Modern
[p2, 4, 64, -1] LA Piano
[p2, 5, 64, -1] Dance Piano
[p2, 6, 64, -1] GrPno Bright
[p2, 7, 64, -1] GrPno Mellow
[p2, 8, 64, -1] Mono Piano 1
[p2, 9, 64, -1] Mono Piano 2

An easier way to crack the nut:

. . . The PX-350 (presumably also the PX-780) has a full "General MIDI" sound kit.

There should be a standard file for that.  At worse, you'd have to add "X" to every patch number, where "X" is the number of non "General MIDI" patches.

You'd be missing the "Grand Piano" tones (the defaults) -- those would be worth adding by hand.

.      Charles

Thanks for your reply.

Do you know where to obtain a general-midi patch name script? I searched Google for these words: 

general midi patch script 

But I did not find any useful results.

Actually, it seems patch name scripts are quite easy to make -- if you have the necessary patch names and bank numbers etc. Casio must have those, and could probably make a patch name script for the PX-350 / 780 in just a few minutes. It sure would be useful for Casio keyboard owners. How about it, Casio?

Apparently, Casio's marketing manager, Mike Martin, made a patch name script for the  Casio Privia PX-5S. Does anyone know how to reach Mike, to ask him if he could make a patch name script for the PX-350 and PX-780?

Thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I recently bought a PX-350 for my daughter to learn to play the piano. I'm certainly not an expert in piano playing, but I am really impressed with the instrument's sound and capabilities.

I hooked it up to my laptop, just using the USB port on the backside of the machine. Immediately I turned out to be able to both play midi files on my computer using the Casio as output device, as well as playing the Casio and recording the notes in midi format on my laptop (I use a freeware program called Sekaiju).

What is missing is the instrument definition file (.ins) for the PX-350. For this, I set myself the task to create it. Attached is my first draft (please rename .txt file to .ins file, for some weird reason I'm not allowed to upload .ins files?!). With it, I am able to chose the tones in Sekaiju to be played on the Casio, both the GM as well as the Casio specific ones. Please feel free to try it, it may even be applicable to other Casio pianos (PX-780?). And be aware, it is work in progress, not even all drum kits have been entered yet.

What I found very strange, is that Casio has chosen to group tones logically using group names and numbers (Appendix A-1), which are different from the MSB Bank numbers. In other words, to find a specific tone to use in your favorite midi program, you can't use the grouping as set on the instrument, but you always have to read the tone definition instead. Can someone elaborate on this, maybe I'm doing it the wrong way?

Casio PX-350.txt

Regards,

Michiel

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

As you may have read in other posts under "program changes" I'm trying this out now with Sekaiju. Loaded the instrument definition file. With Jazzware (mymidi sequencer), with whatever instrument definition file I'm using (I'm trying to recreate your .ins to the language of the Jazzware sequencer, not the same setup as a standard .ins) when I click on one of the track name windows, it opens the entire soundbank showing every instrument in the definition file. I click on that and now that tone is assigned to that track. i need to study Sekaiju as so far I don't see how to assign an individual tone or sound to an individual track, i'm sure it's because i just haven't studied it enough yet. Thank you again, this .ins took a tremendous amount of work to compile, and this is just what I was looking for for the PX350.

mredert-what you are describing in grouping of instruments is what confused me as well. The bank numbers have no relation to similar tone groups, are all over the place. I am glad you sorted these based on same bank numbers, but it isn't logical based on all other idf arrangements I've used. I was looking for lower bank change numbers in the piano group, never thinking these would be in higher bank numbers. Must be a reason.

Just found a link to an older (very simple but very good) free (released by Cakewalk) version of Cakewalk Pro, have it up and running on Windows 7. Imported mredert's .ins file for the PX350 into Cakewalk. Everything works great with the PX350-including the drum kits.  I found the version of Cakewalk v3.01 here for anyone interested:

http://queststudios.com/smf/index.php/topic,3334.0.html

• 1 year later...
On 11 September 2014 at 9:21 PM, mredert said:

Hi all,

I recently bought a PX-350 for my daughter to learn to play the piano. [...]

What is missing is the instrument definition file (.ins) for the PX-350. For this, I set myself the task to create it. Attached is my first draft (please rename .txt file to .ins file, for some weird reason I'm not allowed to upload .ins files?!). With it, I am able to chose the tones in Sekaiju to be played on the Casio, both the GM as well as the Casio specific ones. Please feel free to try it, it may even be applicable to other Casio pianos (PX-780?). And be aware, it is work in progress, not even all drum kits have been entered yet. [...]

Casio PX-350.txt

Regards,

Michiel

Hi Michiel,

Many thanks for posting this. 

Could you explain the Patch[ xxxx] numbers below?

Patch[6144]=Casio PX350 Bank 48
Patch[6272]=Casio PX350 Bank 49
Patch[6400]=Casio PX350 Bank 50
[...]

Could one instead write something like this:

BankSelMethod=1

Patch[48]=Casio PX350 Bank 48

Patch[49]=Casio PX350 Bank 49
Patch[50]=Casio PX350 Bank 50

[...]

im pretty new to all this and trying to understand the syntax so I can modify this for a PX-360

Regards

Steve

• 2 months later...

Hi Steve, sorry for the late reply. I haven't been using my piano for more than a year now, unfortunately. Neither have I been visiting this forum in a while. But your question seems valid to me, I guess it's just a matter of testing it out. Notice that 128 is the magic number here, and bank 48 * magic number 128 = patch number 6144.

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2015 at 8:49 AM, Jokeyman123 said:

Just found a link to an older (very simple but very good) free (released by Cakewalk) version of Cakewalk Pro, have it up and running on Windows 7. Imported mredert's .ins file for the PX350 into Cakewalk. Everything works great with the PX350-including the drum kits.  I found the version of Cakewalk v3.01 here for anyone interested:

http://queststudios.com/smf/index.php/topic,3334.0.html

Since the above post is over a year old I'm not surprised the link in it is dead. Is this free version of Cakewalk Pro still available somewhere?

Wow, you are right-I had to spend over an hour to find that link originally-including studying every Cakewlak forum post and many questionable webpages. Re-applying another search finds nothing although I have a working copy of this on 3 laptops.

I have compressed 2 folders to a zip archive  CPW30 zip is the uncompressed stand-alone version I have working on my Windows 7 machines. Unzip this with whatever you use and place the entiure folder on the root drive of your computer. You will have to make your own "shortcut" to the program since it does not auto-install one. The program executable is in the CPW30 folder. I also uploaded the original program in the Disk1 zip format-this is the uncompressed version that contains the setup program and all the same files that would end up uncompressed in the CPW30 folder-I did this bit of redundancy in case the CPW30 folder contents doesn't work, try running the Disk1 setuip program once you unzip my attached Disk1 folder, and this is the form I originally found and downloaded. I think it is called Disk1 because this program originally came as floppy disks. I never found "Disk2" but from what I can see, every file neede to get this up and running is in the "Disk1" folder.

Since this was originally created for Windows 3.1 (!) it installs as a stand-alone program in it's own folder-CPW30-as many "portable" installs now do-strange how what is old becomes new. It also seems to need to be installed in the "root" directory of my Windows 7-not in the "programs" folder. I have it running in Windows 7 without needing compatibility mode but some Windows versions might need to do that. and it seemed to have no trouble recognizing my Windows 7 midiin/out drivers.

If anyone wonders why I'd want to use an old Cakewalk program, study their forums to see some of the advantages, primarily simplicity and speed-old windows programs access the newer OS'es more directly in some ways than newer Cakewalk versions which run services and other background programs just to start up. Watch how quick Cakewalk 3.01 opens under later versions of Windows, it's pretty impressive. And if you want deep you can always switch to another DAW. And it is very easy to simply copy and paste the .ins file or files you need into the CPW30 folder Hope this helps.

CPW30.zip

Disk1.zip

Much appreciated. Wow, indeed. Something that originally came on floppy disks!

Yeah, newer doesn't necessarily mean better. At least when it comes to software a lot of times it really means bigger and slower.