new user and owner of xw-p1

Hello everyone.  I just ordered an xw-p1 to compliment my other rig,  a Roland RD700SX. 

I have been playing keys for this rock cover band for a few months now and am finding it very hard if not impossible to find the sounds I need to cover many of the songs we play.  I do hope that this Casio will help me.

I have an initial question for you all:

I believe the Casio has a Line In jack,  meaning I can connect my Roland to the Casio?    My Roland has both XLR and quarter inch Line Outs,  and I run one XLR to my powered EV speaker to use as my own personal monitor,  and also run a single quarter inch to our PA Mixer.  

With the addition of this Casio,  how do I connect the two together and still maintain my single connection to my monitor and my PA?

Do I need a mixer? 

Well first of all I'm not certain why you only want to use Mono outs.

Secondly with a mixer you will only have a single output to your PA.

Thirdly, if you want a single out to your monitor you'll either have to run both instruments thru a second mixer or else daisy chain your Roland's output thru the Casio directly to your monitor.

• Like 1

Well first of all I'm not certain why you only want to use Mono outs.

Secondly with a mixer you will only have a single output to your PA.

Thirdly, if you want a single out to your monitor you'll either have to run both instruments thru a second mixer or else daisy chain your Roland's output thru the Casio directly to your monitor.

I am not understanding what you're saying.  Sorry.   I am a total newbie at this stuff.    You first question about mono outs?   I'm not sure what you mean here?   I only have one monitor speaker and my guitar player says it's pointless two run to cables to the PA mixer,  no appreciable difference.   I dunno!    I don't understand your third statement at all.   Second mixer??  

I have described my current hookup with my single Roland board.    Can someone tell me the best way to add this new Casio so that it also plays to my monitor as well as the PA mixer?   Do I need my own personal mixer???    Or can I "daisy chain" these two boards somehow?

First of all get yourself a Behringer 502 Mixer.

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-502-XENYX502-5-Channel-Mixer/dp/B000J5UEGQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403820228&sr=8-1&keywords=behringer+502

Secondly, both your Roland and your Casio are capable of stereo output.  If you're not using a stereo setup on your PA I think that's a huge oversight.

Thirdly, same applies to your monitor.  You really should be using stereo monitors.

Finally, your best hookup would be to run Stereo Line outs from both keyboards to the 502, Feed your monitors from the two track RCA outputs and feed your Main Mixer Console from the two Line Outs on the 502.

That would be the simplest and most effective way to hook it up if I were doing it.

Gary

Hello everyone.  I just ordered an xw-p1 to compliment my other rig,  a Roland RD700SX. 

I have been playing keys for this rock cover band for a few months now and am finding it very hard if not impossible to find the sounds I need to cover many of the songs we play.  I do hope that this Casio will help me.

I have an initial question for you all:

I believe the Casio has a Line In jack,  meaning I can connect my Roland to the Casio?    My Roland has both XLR and quarter inch Line Outs,  and I run one XLR to my powered EV speaker to use as my own personal monitor,  and also run a single quarter inch to our PA Mixer.  

With the addition of this Casio,  how do I connect the two together and still maintain my single connection to my monitor and my PA?

Do I need a mixer? 

Hi and welcome to the Casio Forums. Congrats on your new XW!

I agree you should get a small mixer but you would be able to run your set-up without it.

First run your Roland into the XW. You could  run the LEFT XW OUT to the PA and the RIGHT to the MONITOR, but you would need to make sure your patches we all running in mono.. stereo panning and effects would mess things up. I would try a splitter into the LEFT OUT of the XW and run a cable to each the monitor and PA.

Again, a mixer is absolutely the best way to go; you will have much more control over your sound. They aren't that expensive and little pad on the XW is the perfect spot to keep it. Good luck!

• Like 1

thank you for the drawing.  This makes sense now.   

I already have a Behringer Eurorack UB1002 mixer,  was hoping I could use this,  but when I plug my lines into my powered speaker,  I get a loud hiss that I can't get to go away unless I turn down the main mix volume down to nothing.   What could be causing this?

www.behringer.com/en/products/up1002.aspx

Somewhere in the audio chain you have the gain turned up too high.

Start with all the volumes in the chain turned down to 30% then crank each one up by 10% at a time until it begins to hiss.

Also make sure that all unused inputs are set to zero.

Then you'll be able work with maximum levels for your gear.

• Like 1