Video Files on Forum ×

XW-P1 Performance Mode...

Kenny Ingram

Kenny

What you are describing is what Roland calls "Patch Remain Technology".  On the Casio XW's, whether a Performance has "Patch Remain" depends upon the individual tones that comprise the Performance.  On some, all sound is cutoff as soon as you make the Performance change, and there is no further sound until you lift your hand(s) and re-press the keys.  On others, the sound changes as soon as you change the Performance.  In this case, there is no "remain", but the sound change is made immediately without an obvious "glitch".  Then on others, the original sound "remains" even after the Performance change, until the hand(s) are lifted and the keys are re-pressed (true Patch Remain).  I didn't do a lot of research on this, but in the Performance switches I tried, it appeared that the Solo Synth tones are cutoff completely by a Performance change, while the polyphonic Hex Layer tones change immediately with Performance changes, and acoustic tones (PCM) exhibit true Patch Remain, but an in depth study of this may prove otherwise in some (many ? / most ?) cases.  Then there is the general caveat on this subject that all manufacturers have: any time you change Performances or patches (sounds/tones) with effects active, you may get some kind of glitch in the sound, depending upon the complexity of the outgoing and incoming effects routing.  The more complex the effects routing, the greater the chance of a glitch.  I think the message here is that even with today's high speed processor sound engines, there can be some latency in setting up effects routing during patch/performance switches.

• Like 3