Video Files on Forum ×

God! where to start?

rockitman

I think Casio need to release a libary of patches even if you have to purchase them for the XW series.

Roland & Yamaha do some come on Casio ?

As a keyboard player in a covers band I can see where rockitman is coming from.

Casio has released several  sounds / sound packs. They are in the download area under "Casio Official Files".  :)

Kenny,  your instructions bring up the big confusing question I have about this synth.   If I want to modify or create sounds,  I have to go to three separate places to do so??    Why?  Also,  Not really understanding the drawbar area with the associated number buttons above it.    

1)  You hook up to a PC using a standard USB AB printer cable

2)  As for your problems with cutting and pasting and quoting :  Are you using any script blockers or ad blockers in your browser?  As for pasting, try using CTRL-V

3) Kenny did not describe three different places to edit a sound. Using the Knob and Sliders are simply using the real time controls as input.  The EDIT is done from EDIT mode.

I'm sorry, but you've done nothing but bitch about how the XW is not what you wanted or expected since you got here and everyone has bent over backward to help you figure things out, but you strike me as someone who simply expects some sort of miracles from this or any synth without investing a lick of effort into LEARNING HOW TO USE IT.

If all you want to do is bitch and moan about how hard it is to learn how to use a synth I have nothing more to add to this conversation.

I'm clicking my unfollow button as soon as I finish this reply.

Gary

I don't like to say it, but this synth is NOT really for people like myself and like you who play in covers bands.

I too was hoping to recreate some great classic synth sounds from the hits, but this machine is very poor at doing that.

It's great for taking one of its PCM tones and tweaking here and there and adding layers effects and making lots of new weird and wonderful sounds...But as for recreating those classic hits ? forget it.

Sorry, but I will have to disagree here. :)  The XW-P1 is absolutely loaded with wave forms taken directly  from those very classic synths.  Look through the list and the fist two letters will hint at where they came from. Very are few sounds the XW-P1 can not do when in the hands of a skilled programmer. 

• Like 2

Sorry, but I will have to disagree here. :)  The XW-P1 is absolutely loaded with wave forms taken directly  from those very classic synths.  Look through the list and the fist two letters will hint at where they came from. Very are few sounds the XW-P1 can not do when in the hands of a skilled programmer.

I'm agree. "Everything is downhill" when one decides to know the wonderful world of synthesizer.

PATIENCE, PERSEVERANCE and FUN. Frustration is a waste of time. Use your time to learn about the world of the synthesizer.

Edited by David

Then let's have a skilled programmer stick some of their programming up for downloading.

I put out a challenge a while ago to see if someone could recreate the synth organ intro on the who's Wont get Fooled Again.. Nothing including my own effort sounded like those recreated by other boards on You Tube or the orginal.

You have taken my post out of context too Scott, I also said it would be a massive selling point for the XW series if " a skilled programmer" put up recreations of the hits on You Tube, I've yet to see a single presentation featuring a XW synth doing his , and this surely would be a massive sales boost ?

So let's try a simple one OMD,s Enola Gay XW style and how you did it ?

Anyone ?

I'm agree. "Everything is downhill" when one decides to know the wonderful world of synthesizer.

PATIENCE, PERSEVERANCE and FUN. Frustration is a waste of time. Use your time to learn about the world of the synthesizer.

I couldn't agree more. I've been at this almost 30 years and am still learning new things.  :)

• Like 2

I couldn't agree more. I've been at this almost 30 years and am still learning new things.  :)

Yup.  We will never stop learning.  If it has the tools it can make the sounds.   I've had my MZ-2000 for 14 years.  Use it all the time and still am finding new things it can do.  I guess it boils down to how creative the person behind the board is.  

• Like 2

did u buy a computer and expect to start building your own iPad apps by punching a few keys with it?  sorry, but we've had this before in the forum where peeps buy a programmable synth and think they just hit a couple of buttons to do whatever they dream of, and b&c on this forum... that ain'd gonna happen.  

BUT, this is one of the best forums i've participated in that helps people get 'that patch they want', and i belong to Roland, Korg, and Yamaha groups ever since forums started on the internet ... but it is a lot of effort to learn this stuff, and you know, some peeps brain cells are just not equipped to learn this stuff.  i've prob read the book 20 times and still can't do a lot of the things I'd like to do, and i've worked as a database programmer and coder.  Mike Martin, Scott and many others do their best to get information out to help people learn this stuff.

• Like 2

Mr. Original Poster,

Yes, the sliders serve multiple purposes. Note - the writing above each of them...they line up. These sliders serve as faders for how loud each of the different LAYERS [that make up one sound] are.

The top row is the Solo Synth (i.e. Synth1, Synth2, PCM1, PCM2, ect..).

Second row is the Hex Layer (i.e. Layer1, Layer2, Layer3, Layer, ect..). 

Third row is Drawbar Organ (i.e. 16', 5 1/3', 8', 4', ect..).

As everyone else has stated, it requires a little time to get used to the architecture. It's a very DEEP and POWERFUL synthesizer. This may seem like a headache, but if you were to say, try Kurzweil's Virtual Analog VAST, you may get an aneurism. 

Here's a video I highly recommend you watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3-XLtgVVDo. It may seem hopeless now, but you'll eventually get it, trust me. :)

• Like 3

As everyone else has stated, it requires a little time to get used to the architecture. It's a very DEEP and POWERFUL synthesizer. This may seem like a headache, but if you were to say, try Kurzweil's Virtual Analog VAST, you may get an aneurism. 

/Me LOL's at the V.A.S.T. comment and reaches for his heart pills :D :D :D

Then let's have a skilled programmer stick some of their programming up for downloading.

I put out a challenge a while ago to see if someone could recreate the synth organ intro on the who's Wont get Fooled Again.. Nothing including my own effort sounded like those recreated by other boards on You Tube or the orginal.

You have taken my post out of context too Scott, I also said it would be a massive selling point for the XW series if " a skilled programmer" put up recreations of the hits on You Tube, I've yet to see a single presentation featuring a XW synth doing his , and this surely would be a massive sales boost ?

So let's try a simple one OMD,s Enola Gay XW style and how you did it ?

Anyone ?

Perhaps you should look and listen to what the XW IS capable of? The sound used for The Who's 'Won't get fooled again' was quite complex, as it wasn't just one sound source (check the YouTube vids showing how exactly it was created). Meanwhile, as I mentioned previously, check out some of the sounds you CAN get from the XW, not least the very impressive CS80 'Blade Runner' sound from Mike Martin.

Yes and no. The XW is NOT an analogue emulator as per a Roland Gaia or Yamaha  ANX. It IS however capable of recreating classic synth sounds once you get delving into its engine. Listen to some of Mike Martin's video demos and listen to the Vangelis CS80 'Bladerunner' sound, or the TB303 sounds. Also have a good listen to some of the downloadable sound files (in the download section), many of which have classic sawtooth sounds one of which sounds close to the infamous Polymoog 'Vox Humana' preset. Then there's the nice collection of bass sounds, many recreating the classic MiniMoog. 

Slow down little buckaroo. ;)

You gotta crawl before you can walk.  OSC is an electronics abbreviation for Oscillator.

LFO is a low frequency oscillator.  Typically used to modulate a wave's envelope to give it a resonant or beat effect.

One textbook on audio synthesis that comes highly recommended as an industry standard in synth courses is this one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0199922969/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I picked up a copy for myself a few weeks back but this weekend I may actually get some free time to sit down and read it.

I'd recommend starting out by ordering this book and perhaps a few other related works from Amazon to get an idea of what sound synthesis is all about and how to get started designing your own sounds with the standard building blocks which the XW-P1 supplies.

Gary

Thanks for the link on the book. I have been wanting a good text on synth.

How about the intro to "Baba O'Riley" AKA called "Teenage Wasteland"?  I think it's possible, if I have some time I may take a crack at this one. According to Wikipedia:

was played by Townshend on a Lowrey Berkshire Deluxe TBO-1 organ using its marimba repeat feature. Some of these old "home" organs had pretty cool presets, used early concepts of synthesis for their basic waves.

Was Keith Moon's idea to put the violin solo in the middle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baba_O%27Riley

Having a little trouble programming the XW?  Watch this one although it'sthe  "Won't Get Fooled Again" intro. Look at that room full of stuff, and you thought the XW was tough!

Except for the EMS "Putney" reference I've found elsewhere and the Wikipedia reference, couldn't find the exact explanation for the Baba O'Riley although I remember a discussion in keyboard magazine years back and i remember the name "Rabbit" Bundrick, not sure I'm spelling it right but that might have been Won't Get Fooled Again".

• Like 1

The key component of the synth solo in the Cars "Let's Go" is the filter envelope changing for each note, with the envelope being reset for each note.

This doesn't need a hex layer - it's a solo synth.

It absolutely DOES need the filter envelope to be triggered on each note event, and the envelope needs to be programmed to give the right resonance and change through each note.

I found a couple other sites with the same question - one of them goes into quite a bit of detail about needing oscilator sync capability and how to set the sync.

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2132225/synth_sound_for_the_Cars_quot_

This article claims it was a preset from the Prophet 5, 'Sync II' patch.  Which again points to oscillator sync - which is not going to be in chapter 1 of a synth programming tutorial.

Here's Jordan Rudess demoing and describing oscillator sync on the Moog Sub Phatty: 

Note that this is topic 8 of Rudess' explanations.  Note what he says (It's one of the most advanced functions.....) at about 1:50 - 2:15 or so he says this.

I can't determine if the XW-P1 had oscillator sync or not at present, but it's pretty fundamental to the sound of that lead.

The key component of the synth solo in the Cars "Let's Go" is the filter envelope changing for each note, with the envelope being reset for each note.

This doesn't need a hex layer - it's a solo synth.

It absolutely DOES need the filter envelope to be triggered on each note event, and the envelope needs to be programmed to give the right resonance and change through each note.

I found a couple other sites with the same question - one of them goes into quite a bit of detail about needing oscilator sync capability and how to set the sync.

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2132225/synth_sound_for_the_Cars_quot_

This article claims it was a preset from the Prophet 5, 'Sync II' patch.  Which again points to oscillator sync - which is not going to be in chapter 1 of a synth programming tutorial.

That certainly sounds legit. A quick look at the live video indeed shows a Prophet 5 playing the main keyboard riff, with what looks to be a little modulation wheel added too.

For some reason my memory seems to recall that the XW's do have oscillator sync. I'm sure I remember seeing it when going through some of the many menus. Either that or I have it mixed up with my Roland JX3P, which definitely does have oscillator sync! 

Yes.  The XW's have OSC sync in the solo synth engine.

I made this sound on the G1 solo synth using OSC sync and the res filter envelope.    Take it and tweak it to your taste.  I don't have time to tweak it any further.  I think it needs more filter resonance tweaks.  

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/files/file/616-thecarsletsgo-solo-lead-synth-xw-g1/