Video Files on Forum ×

Little advice requested: which rotary pedal?

CarloKey

Ah ok...I didn't know about NEO...i ll check for it...mostly I need ventilator for some organ sound, to create a 70s atmosphere..

Is not that the inner rotary of the P1 is bad...but is uncomfortable to change it by fingers..

@David i wll check that chapter, hww is only in Perfomance mode, not in Tone

Thanx!!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've actually used a Digitech RP500 and a Zoom G5 for a much improved rotary simulation over the built-in simulation in the P1.  I have the Zoom G5 that I normally use with my electric guitars.  The RP500 works pretty well as well. 

It's REALLY too bad Casio can't do a better job of this and the overdrive for the drawbar organ mode of this model.  It sort of defeats the whole purpose of having the drawbar mode.  I do have the tip posted above by David for footswitch activated switching between fast and slow modes.  This still leaves the overdrive lacking. 

It's my #1 complaint of the weakness of the P1.  I was hoping that pressure from others would have raised this to the point that a software update would fix it well enough to gig with.  At present, you need to buy a pedal that costs nearly as much as the XW-P1 itself to make the drawbar organ mode acceptable for any rock usage.

The GSi burn is $429.  The Ventilator NEO mini is $349.

Is the DSP just not capable of a less aggressive distortion?

i added a distortion dsp to one of my organ tones... just used one instead of the rotary since im using a rotary box ... you can use or edit DSP 03 Dist, 23 CmpDst, 33 DstRef, 34 DstTrm... you can edit the DSP to your liking and save it...  turned out nice.

• Like 1

Korg made a Leslie pedal simulator that was pretty good at the time-it was called the G4 specifically for keyboards, not a modified guitar pedal. Unfortunately, the only ones I see on eBay are pretty costly but it has every possible programming setting you would need. if you can grab a used one cheap, might be nice. Lowest price I saw on eBay was 249 bucks.

Haven't played with the DSP distortion, but I would think it can be toned down to almost nothing but i could be wrong. I noticed the knob for "attack" doesn't seem to increment in such fine steps seems to roll off pretty coarsely from zero to about 4-5, maybe the distortion settings are similar.

I've used an RT-20 for years because 1) it's good enough for a loud rock band and a 7-piece jazz band, 2) it was cheap ($100 on eBay), 3) it's Boss so super-tough, 4) it has lots of features, and 5) you can "park" or "brake" the rotors. I think the overdrive on the RT-20 is a bit over the top, though.

If you are in an organ trio, the RT-20 might be lacking in some way. Some say it sounds more like a tremolo than a rotary, but I don't know. It's hard to tell when you are running through one amp or even through the house mains.

• Like 1

I picked up one of these a few months ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-RM600-Machine-Ultimate-Modeling/dp/B0016MN4I6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406828121&sr=8-1&keywords=behringer+rm600

Sure it's cheap.  Sure it's plastic.  But it's amazingly strong plastic and for the price you can't go wrong.

Then again I'm no lactose intolerant high fallutin organ purist either so it may sound like crap to you.  But I like it. :)

Gary

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...