PX5s comes through for me - again.

goergtn

One of the bands I play in recently had to fire its bass player (3rd one in 2 years). I was given the bass chair, so to speak. We do a mix of classic rock, R&B, and country. I'm not totally unfamiliar with LHB, but had not done it for years. I remember reading some posts about the "drab bass sounds" of the PX. Anyway, got to programming - bass to its own output, ran it to a bass amp, did a little tweaking, added an EQ, and viola! Bass sounds to die for! Now I just need to learn how to play!

After practicing with the drummer a solid week, we did a gig on the fourth-of-July and we came off great, even got extra $$$ to play an hour after the fireworks. Definitely need to practice more, but we will never have lame bass playing or bad bass tone again.

A few things came up in programming that I want to comment on. First, it's a drag there no mono mode. Bass sounds could really benefit from this. But that's been talked about to death. It is what it is and not a big shortcoming by any means.

I never play live in stereo, either onstage or FOH, but it still would be nice to have other outputs, because the stereo effects leak from side-to-side. You can get the delay to just one side, but not the verb or chorus. Maybe Casio could come up mono, or panable (word?), versions of system reverb & chorus?

Lastly, it is a drag that hex layers only go in zones 1& 2. What if I have a nice (hex) Rhodes layered with a nice (hex) pad - where do I put my (hex) SuperBass tone, when I come up with it? Again, not a big deal, but a mild PITA.

Overall, the PX5s came thru big time - ease of programming and quality sounds - couldn't ask for more.

• Like 3

Bravo!!   Can we expect to see the SuperBass Hex layer in the downloads section?

HaHaHa, yeah - as soon as I get in that "mode". Right now it's heavy-duty practice mode.

Anyhoo, I'm trying to get a bass in mind, and then go after it in programming. Its gotta be something for the funkier songs we do. Like a cross between "FingerBass2" and some SlapBass character, but not sound like you watching Seinfeld reruns.

Know what I mean? We do "Can't Go For That", trying to cop the DarylsPlace/CeeloGreen version. That's a great bass sound (and a super player!)

• Like 1

I think it's cool that you are using one keyboard for that. I know a guy who does this, and he uses a separate keyboard and bass module to get the bass sound. He also positions the little bass keys a bit off to the side instead of over his main keyboard. It seems a stretch to me.

What are you currently using for bass sounds?

The PX5S. Mostly the "FingerBass2" tone sent to an Ampeg 115 amp. I use about a half dozen other bass sounds (StandUp,Picked,PianoLayer,Fretless,Slap....) over 35 different StageSets. These are called up automatically with SetListMaker on an Ipad. I have a Roland VR09 for Organ and Synth stuff.

• Like 1