Video Files on Forum ×

XW-P1 .ZPK (package) files

Jokeyman123

I am trying to assemble collections of sounds such as many of the uploads here into a "package" file to transfer using the data manager. Can anybody describe how a package file is created? Once all my data is in the XW-P1 I know how to save to the card as an "all' file, but I don't see how to assemble all the synth sounds or other individual performances, etc. to transfer at once and then save as a .ZPK package file. it is also not clear whether these .ZPK files can be saved on the card for loading directly into the XW without the data editor. Thanks.

Jokeyman

I assume by your questions, that you do not have a copy of the Data Editor User's Guide.  If not, you can download a copy here:

http://support.casio.com/en/support/download.php?cid=008&pid=66

The Editor User's Guide is the third "Download" item on that page.

While you are there, be sure to download a copy of the most recent Editor, if you need that too: 1.1.2 7 for Windows or 1.1.2 8 for the MAC.  Your answer is on Page 17 of the Editor User's Guide.  It states that Package Files are for use by the Editor only and can not be used directly by the XW-P1/G1.  Page 17 also gives instructions for using the Editor software for assembling new packages.

In the XW-P1 hardware manual, the table on Page 73 gives the "Supported Data Types" for the XW and SD Data Card.  ZPK Package Files are not in the list, and a search of the entire manual PDF file finds no instance of the word "package" or the phrase "ZPK", so this follows the statement in the Editor User's Guide that the XW-P1/G1 do not use ZPK Package files directly.  The "ALL DATA" files generated by the XW are ZAL Files and are not related to ZPK Package Files generated by the Data Editor.

Good luck and happy "packaging" !

BTW:

If you do need to download a new version of the Data Editor, it is a pretty good idea to retain a copy of the previous version (if it is working OK for you).  There are still a lot of CTK/WK-6XXX/7XXX owners in a lurch since they downloaded Data Manager 6.1  and deleted 6.0 only to find that 6.1 would not work with their particular OS/PC hardware combinations and then found that 6.0 was no longer available for re-download.

• Like 3

Thanks much Ted, I thought that was the case. I had forgotten there is a separate download for the user manual, that's what I needed. My XW was out of commission for awhile, just as I was getting comfortable with file transfers with the data editor. Guess I'm a little nervous about using the XW with an Casio software since I had melted it down updating the firmware awhile back.

It will definitely save me time knowing how to use the .ZPK files. This post is important IMO.  I'm willing to bet many XW users who have no experience with the data editor even know the package concept exists and may be wasting alot of time transferring individual sounds, performances, sequences etc individually using only the SD card which i was about to do-might have been nice to mention this in the user guide for the XW but then we have this forum. 

Maybe this should be posted in the XW faqs here? Not sure how to do that, but I will if someone directs me how.

I'll put it up in the FAQ thread no problem.

However, when it comes to doing multiple transfers using the Data Editor Software it couldn't be easier.  Just Shift Click or Ctrl Click to highlight a page of patches at a time and then drag to the XW window and double click and you're done.

To be honest, I've never used the SD card on my XW except for loading and playing a few straight MIDI files with the player mode.  Even that was basically just to test the feature.  Mostly I work with my DAW software or the Editor.

And as long as I'm adding this to the FAQ I may as well mention that the Editor runs perfectly using WINE in Linux.

Gary

Thanks happyrat for posting in the faq. Drag and drop worked perfectly, put together a few package files already, works perfectly. Now if only I could get the courage to update the firmware-guess if I turn off virus scanning, Windows Defender and anything else in windows 7, XP or Vista that might stop the transfer.

I just don't trust the process with Windows since it screwed it up the last time. There are so many "services" that run in the background even though I've disabled all except the ones I really need, who knows which one might stop the firmware transfer this time. and I think there were a few bugs that went away once I did the first successful update, although it might have been my misunderstanding of a few functions in the XW-it was the 2nd one that failed.

And Wine is good (not as a drink during a gig since I tend to forget what key signature I'm in if i was lucky enough to know in the first place and white and black keys start looking the same color :P ) I've used Puppy Linux with Wine and it has run everything I've thrown at it including music stuff, now I know i can get the editor running in it. Thanks again Gary.

Notice I'm better with the enter key-sometimes my thoughts come out like one giant booger, I forget to give others a break, still working on being clear and brief when I can. :blink:

Actually I think you've earned your healthy fear of firmware updates the hard way.

Perhaps you should wait to do your next update until the next time you reinstall your windows OS when you have a relatively vanilla version of the OS to work with.  ie. After updating the OS but before installing all the apps.

If it's any help, I run Windows Defender on a pretty vanilla Win 7 system and I didn't have to turn off the antivirus when I did my XW-P1 update.

Then again, the only reason I even keep a version of windows around on my dual boot machine is for firmware updates exactly like this one.

Gary

PS >>> And a big thanks for using your Enter key these days ;)

I didn't need to turn off virus scanning either for the first upgrade. For some reason it failed on the newest-I had the oldest original firmware when I purchased the XW, so I'm still not clear what actually caused the meltdown, but I'm not doing it again with that version, leaving well enough alone.

I also re-learned that the XW connected with USB will not always be recognized unless I open the data manager first, then power up the XW, and then connect the USB cable. I think you had stated that on another post.

I've had to revert back to the faqs alot to refresh my memory for the XW as complicated as it is, so thanks again.