Original Tune "As it might be"

Very nice. When's the album being released...I'll buy it. Quite apart from your excellent playing, I like the subtlety of your drum work...it reminds me very much of a highly respected session drummer that I sometimes get to work with. He knows just what to play and what not to play, and obviously you have that same philosophy.

• Like 2

Ebonivor,

I can't tell you how much I appreciate not only your kind words but I am so pleased you" listened" to the tune.

YES you have got me exactly right about the drums for they are so important to my tempo clock.

I have found that when the drums work

then it is so easy to play "with

When I make my first Album

You will be the first to get one 

then my friend Mick,Paddy

and the last one to my son Gabriel

(there won't be a big demand)

Thanks

Hugh

I'm working on a Nora Jones  tune just now

BrianH,

Thanks

It was all done on the PX 5x except the bass.

For instance I play the tune with the drums until it sounds right

Then I record the PX 5s drums on a separate in Logic

Record the lead which is in fact a mix of three(piano,el piano organ low in mix) from the 5x

then record the bass which is usually a mix between acoustic bass and fretless bass(to give it a voice)

and keep replacing the two(piano and bass )'till it fits or sits if you know what I mean

It all swings around the drums for if they don't work the tune will not work for me

Merci beaucoup de vos aimables paroles

Hugh

Hugh, I just got around to checking out those couple of female vocalists you mentioned...very nice! Took me back to the late 60s when I played (guitar) with a band called Quartet Bossa Nova. It also inspired me to dust off some old favourite albums - Rainforest by Walter Wanderley (organ), and 'Wave' and "The Composer of 'Desifinado', Plays" by Antonio Carlos Jobim. I'd forgotten just how wonderfully relaxing they were. Thanks for reminding me.

Your welcome Ebonivor,

Yea,Karrin Allyson seems very musical altogether and yes she has resurrected all those lovely Brazilian  tunes and added English to it

and what surprised me is she plays piano too.

Not on that track  "A Felicidade" because that playing is just wonderful.

I wonder who it is

Oh ......to play like that........bouncing off the clouds

• 2 weeks later...

Political correctness

1. Thelonius Monk 2. Art Tatum  3. Bill Evans 4. McCoy Tyner  5. Oscar Peterson 6. Herbie Hancock  7. Bud Powell 8. Keith Jarrett9. Chick Corea10. Jelly Roll Morton11. Duke Ellingto12. Count Basie

13. Fats Waller14. James P. Johnson15. Earl Hines16. Tommy Flanagan17. Bob James18. Joe Zawinul19. Kenny Kirkland20. Scott Joplin21. Teddy Wilson22. Red Garland23. George Shearing24. Horace Silver

25. Les McCann26. Dave Brubeck27. Billy Strayhorn28. Erroll Garner

29. Ahmad Jamal30. Ramsey Lewis31. Sonny Clark32. George Duke33. Jan Hammer34. Duke Pearson35. Dave Grusin36. Wynton Kelly37. Lyle Mays38. Sun Ra39. Michael Pertucciani40. Paul Bley41. Cecil Taylor42. John Lewis43. Andrew Hill44. Phineas Newborn45. David Benoit46. Alan Pasqua47. Eubie Blake48. Eddie Palmieri49. Fletcher Henderson50. Randy Waldman51. Hank Jones52. Bill Mays53. Hampton Hawes54. Billy Taylor55. Vince Guaraldi56. Mose Allison57. Don Grolnick58. Albert Ammons59. Ellis Marsalis60. Paul Nagel61. Alan Broadbent62. John Medeski63. Jim Beard64. Brad Mehldau65. Mitch Forman

66. Joe Sample67. Matt Denis68. Lennie Tristano69. Mary Lou Williams70. Kenny Drew71. Max Middleton72. Jason Moran73. Milt Buckner74. Randy Weston75. Nat King Cole76. Andre Previn77. Mal Waldron78. Billy Kyle79. Kirk Lightsey80. Marian Macpartland81. Barry Harris82. Steve Kuhn83. Danilo Perez84. Jaki Byard85. Mike Longo86. Kenny Barron87. Billy Tipton88. Brian Culbertson89. Gene Harris90. Patrice Rushen91. Cliff Korman92. Joe Bonner93. Perez Prado94. Benny Green95. Cedar Walton96. Bobby 'The Wildman' Enriquez97. Bobby Timmons98. Abdullah Ibrahim99. Hiromi Uehara100. Tigran Hamasyan

Mose Alison• C.P.E. Bach• Ludwig Van Beethoven• Eubie Blake• Dave Bruebeck• Victor Borge'• Frederic Chopin• Keith Emerson• Bill Evans• Earl "Fatha" Hines• Vladimir Horowitz• Billy Joel• Liberac• Thelonius Monk• Art Tatum

QED

Gee, I need at least five stars just for reading the list! I don't remember QED...was gender was he/she?

BTW there was a Len McCann, passed on now, who was a member of the family that established and still own the store that I bought my PX-5S through...McCann Bros in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia. He also had a dance band, surprisingly called The Len McCann Dance Band, but he was a saxophonist.

• 2 weeks later...

QED: Question Entirely Destroyed! When I was a young kid, I had a mate who used to end all of his explanations with QED. He was also a pretty good at eight ball, so we used to call him "Cue Eddie".

Not sure how long it will take before there is a gender balance amongst famous keyboardists, probably not in my lifetime. It's surprising that there aren't more, because when I was at school, there were many more girls learning piano than there were boys. A lot of those ended up as teachers, choir accompanists, church organists or housewives.

Hope you had a good time in Cyprus...a slightly different climate to Eire I would imagine. ;-)

• 5 weeks later...

Choppin, I've been away from the forum for a while and thought it was about time I checked up on Hugh's diatribe. I have to say that I totally agree with your sentiments, but hope that Hugh was making a lighthearted observation that there were not a lot of acclaimed female keyboardists. I took it that way, but unfortunately, when we post online, it is hard to tell whether a comment is made in jest or in a derogatory manner. It is too easy to forget that a post in a thread is not a one-to-one conversation. I believe that Hugh has a great Irish sense of humour and would be unlikely to intentionally denigrate women.

I, for one, have the utmost respect for women and was interested in the fact that there were so few in the list that Hugh posted. It makes me wonder why, especially when there are so many incredibly gifted female classical pianists....and, of course, a great percentage of us had women teach us.

It does make one wonder though...why are none of the great composers women? Hopefully, our descendants will see a better balance.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Ebonivor for the benefit of the doubt but the truth is I started off with good fun in mind but got carried away and just went too far.

I am sorry to anyone who was offended but the devilish side wondered how far I could go. Fortunately Choppin shut me down good and proper and saved me from making it worse.

But you are right Ebonivor

I would be unlikely to intentionally denigrate women.

In fact in like women

That's why I married at least 3 of them.

By number five I had changed and became faithful and true and therefore could find a women faithful and true.

(My last wife fell down a wishing well and I never knew they worked  ! !   :rolleyes: )

I was learning a blues song this morning

The words are great

I'm torn down,almost level with the ground.  ....................  X2      

Well I feel like this when my baby can't be found

I went to the river to jump in

My baby showed up and said

"I will tell you when"

That last line, kills me.........,