Video Files on Forum ×

If Knobs set to Max EQ on SS 0-0 - Position/Vol. LOST on Power Off/On

Rogerft

Hello from the UK - I have just got my PX-5S and have tried to read all the info I can find but can't see an answer to this ...

My Keyboard in running V1.12 as delivered and I have run the Knob calibration function.

If I select SS-0 the EQ for the piano is controlled by the 4 knobs.

If I put all the 4 knobs (EQ frequencies) to Max fully clockwise and turn off the PX-5S when I turn it back on the amount of EQ is much less than before.

Does this mean you have to turn the knobs to centre? or Min? Before power Off.

I can't see a requirement for this in the Manual/Online Tutorial

Do the Sliders react like this as well?

Any comments much appreciated.

Roger

This is normal.  Stage settings determine the setup of nearly the entire PX-5s.  The Master EQ, which is what the knobs are likely controlling, is a stage setting parameter.   Powering off the PX-5s returns the stage setting to it's last "saved" state.   If you want to retain your EQ adjustments in that stage setting you will need to press the write button, select stage setting and save/replace it.  

And yes, the sliders reset after power off the same way.  

Note: In many if not most cases, moving a slider and then writing/replacing a stage setting will not save the adjustment.  It works for Master EQ but for things like filter cutoff it won't.  You'll have to edit the tone filter cutoff manually in the px-5s menu's in order for the stage setting write function to save it.  

Thanks BradMZ for that explanation .. But it does raise another question ....

If I move any controller (Knob Slider or Wheel) and Power-Off without saving as it was a performance change to the controllers, when I Power-On again the Stage Settings are in the last saved state but the controllers are not in the position they were when the Stage Setting was created and their relative value when operated will now be different?

... Therefore if I wanted to play one of Mike Martins SS downloads as it was created is there a convention as to where the controller position was when that setting was created and where they should be when the PX-5S is Powered-On so as to recreate the same operational values and same performance?

Hope I'm understanding this correctly!

Ahhhhh ... Update ... The Knobs must have some kind of positional update function.

As before, put all the Knobs to Max on SS 0-0 and Power-Off, then Power-On again and the EQ/Vol. sounds less than previous - However move the knobs away from and back to the Max setting and the EQ now sounds as it did originally. So there must be some positional reset ...

Anyone else observed this?