Video Files on Forum ×

Firmware update vs Stage settings

Daniel Vezina

Hello!

I bought a PX-5S recently. Until now I was more familiar with Yamaha digital piano and synth. I'm very impress by what Casio is trying to do with the Privia Pro line. Thanks to all of those here who are giving us new sounds, info and tricks about how to get the most of our instrument.

My PX-5S came with the 1.10 firmware. I tried about all stage settings the first day I used the keyboard. But I did not write down the name of all those stage settings. I found some interesting sounds in the stage settings and I think that I had some “new” (more recently released) sound already installed on my PX-5S.

Then I upgraded the firmware to 1.12, to be sure that my 5S is up to date and that all the stage settings I can download are going to work.

The next day I played on the 5S and discovered that my stage settings were not the same as with the firmware 1.10 and that many of the nice stage settings I had were replaced by different ones. I know that I can download the original and new stages settings from the download section of this forum. However I found strange that the firmware update “downgraded” my stage settings with settings that are good but not as good as those I had when I started the 5S the first time.

So, is there any “official” list somewhere of what are the initial stage settings in the 5S? (different for 1.10 vs 1.12?).
How could I know the name of the settings I had when I started the keyboard the first time?
Is it possible that the keyboard came equipped with all the new stage settings offered by Mike Martin in the download section of this forum? It's rather odd that the some recent stage settings were included in my 5S while the firmware was not the most up to date one. (but it is possible because, firmware and stage settings are not tied together).

Also, I’m also very interested by acoustic piano sounds. How can I know that I have the best stage settings in this category? I know that Casio is supposed to offer one of the best piano sound on the market (especially in this price range). But for now, I have some difficulties to get a piano sound that really fits my taste. Remember: I'm an ex Yamaha user and used to the fact that piano samples come from the Yamaha CFIIIS grand, so I've a Yamaha bias for piano sound and I also play on acoustic Yamaha pianos most of the time. The Casio piano sound remember me of some Steinway Model D grand. While these are great pianos, their sound is not my preferred one. Also the strings resonance effect is a bit too strong to my taste.

I’m reading the manual in the hope that I will master this nice instrument asap, but for now, the learning curve is a bit steep and all suggestions/advice to install the best stage settings and get the best possible piano sound will be gladly accepted!

Thanks you!

Daniel

The firmware update from 1.10 to 1.12 does not change any Stage Settings.  Perhaps you loaded something else in.   If you want to restore to the original go System Settings, scroll down and select INITIALIZE.

The factory Stage Setting List can be found here:

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/files/file/88-px-5s-factory-stage-setting-list/

There are many additional piano Stage Settings and tones for you try.
Here is a Piano Tone that you might want to try first:

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/files/file/52-eqd-grand-piano/

And another:

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/files/file/44-concert-grand-v2/

• Like 2

Hello Mike!

Thanks for you quick reply. The firmware was the only file I loaded in the PX-5S. In fact, I did not ever try to load a new stage setting yet. I remember that the U2 synth sound was available in one of the bank and this is an optional sound we can find in the download section of this site. The box was still sealed when I get the keyboard with everything in place inside the box. I'm familiar with computers and keyboards (I'm formerly a computer analyst and tech guy support), I can't have loaded a file into the keyboard without to be aware of it. One of my friend was with me and we're both nearly 100%  sure that the stage setting already loaded in my instrument were not the one I can see in the official list. Some banks were probably set with the default stage settings (Bank 1-2) but some sophisticated synth sound were present in others bank. It just gave me the impression that the initial stage settings setup could be different depending on the production run at Casio. Not a big deal. I will just load what I need and I will explore the initial stage settings coming with the keyboard. Txs Daniel

Depending on where you purchased it, the retailer may have installed various stage settings or put them in a "related" order before shipping it out. 

A bad case: you may even want to look for evidence if it was a refurbished or used model.  At the very least, the box it was shipped in should have the same serial number as the device itself stamped on it.

• Like 1