Video Files on Forum ×

If Casio would follow the build it yourself synth trend.

I did it stick a screw driver in my casio G1 opening it and pull out a little inconvenience that fall in it. To my surprise it was very easy

to open it up better yet the whole build from the casing to the prints was so modular and looked like everyone could do it and....... *light bulb above my head.* wait a sec.

Moog did it and Korg did it well wouldn't it be awesome if Casio did it also and made an synth you could assemble yourself.  *ping ;).

(only for experienced users off course) I would like to dabble with the outer,inside. Seems weird I know right but it would also be self full filling. You would have your basic board and keybed and could tag along a whole set controllers on the midi and usb in and such *going wild here*. some of the reason would also be for me to hang an d/a to the output like another modular piece to see how I can play with the output as re-sampling sounds also changes the sonic of what a synth produces, sampling a tune made me realize that.

Anyway a build it yourself would be also very enjoyable to build and play it yourself I mean why not :).

A good place to start would be all the circuit bending sites on the web.

https://www.google.ca/search?num=100&newwindow=1&safe=off&site=&source=hp&q=circuit+bent+casio&oq=circuit+bent+&gs_l=hp.3.7.0l10.2288.7200.0.13664.14.14.0.0.0.0.192.1720.3j11.14.0.crnk_qsrb...0...1.1.48.hp..1.13.1570.0.PXxLMUSZZgs

There's a large number of FrankenCasios out there already.

Experimenters like them cause they're cheap and, as you discovered already, pretty simple internally...

No not like that, that the circuit bending cult its messing with the print itself. I mean like Korg MS20 to assemble yourself or MOOG synth you can assemble yourself. It needs some pretty case but can be interesting as a different design concept. 

To be honest, there's limited market share for electronic kits these days.  Heathkit pretty much went out of business because mass produced Chinese electronic junk is better and cheaper than what they had to offer the public. Radio Shack managed to hang in a little longer but even they are on the verge of bankruptcy these days.

I also believe I read once that it is more expensive to ship a product as a DIY kit than it is to ship it fully assembled and tested.

Truth be told, if you're really itching to experiment a bit these days, tune in EEVblog on youtube, spend about a grand or two on test gear and go to town.  Or join up with your local ham radio club if you can still find one and earn your technician's license.

Gary

• Like 1

Sadly those day's are over for me partly :( ,I don't have that youthfully aspiration anymore to thinker electronic thanks to the market saturation of cheap stuff you can get for a euro.

Leaves the modding the only thing left. Its easy nowadays to let yourself something build by a 3d-printing company as it is ordering you're electronic design from china. Last time I've looked there are less then 4 electronic components company's left in my country to order resistors , transistors , chips and what not  used to be 40 in the old day's not to forget the electronic shacks  browsing boxes of weird stuff .........aaah I miss those day's  :rolleyes:.

Yup today everyone can turn into a desktop assembly engineer not a bad thing but that doesn't ignite my to be inspirational fire. :o Ooh I don't want to turn in  a geezer with spare time for great idea's but no hands on building. Guess I have to go back to the blackboard and invent the better A.I , Holographic projector and Warp-drive again... there is still time to get those back. :P   

Oh I gotta return to something like this SCIENCE and MUSIC

Hey XW Addict, despair not. check out www.paia.com. This is a company that's been around awhile, I built a few kits years back-a ring modulator, a very cool phase shifter and a fuzzbox distortion pedal. Don't know what kind of prices now, but were pretty affordable back when compared to other stuff. Their theremin is over 200 buckos. I didn't study this website too much, didn't think they'd still be around.

Also had a great book I sold years ago by Craig Anderton that had real nice music projects in it.  I learned to screw around with my new stuff by doing alot of this-although now everything is sealed, SMT or epoxied (like the XW CPU). Might find the book at Amazon or eBooey or even old PAIA kits there.

Happyrat I am KB2IKH tech license sadly most of that stuff is gone too, I barely remember code.  Don't transmit anymore only monitor occasionally although there is so little to monitor now. I use a scanner radio apk for android and an Alinco DJX-10 which is nice. Most clubs are gone, hard to find the licensing books to study and with the advent of smartphones, most people coming up won't even know what any of that is although there are still great websites for ham radio. Now onto heterodyning my XW-P1 and onto finishing my microwave railgun for my homeland security package or for bringing on tough gigs :P . Nice video.

• Like 3