XW-P1/G1 and a Mixer

Zergmazter

Hello everyone. The reason im posting this is because im doing something i've never done before and i wanna make sure im not doing anything wrong that could hurt the quality of my sound or hurt my equipment.

So i bought this portable mixer for my  synths and im doing something i got no clue if its something that someone can do to mix their sound.

Im using right now 4 channels for my XW-G1. I connected the LEFT output of my G1 to 1 channel and the RIGHT one to another. Then I panned the left channel all the way to the left and the right channel all the way to the right. I was just messing around however I noticed my sounds cleared up a bit. I repeated the same process with the 'headphone' output on channels 3 and 4 and my sounds cleared up even more. 

I then selected one of my sounds and i gave it a little bit of chorus and reverb. It was sounding like what i was looking for until i tried something i never used before (Note: Im making sure nothing clips as i do all this).

I went ahead in my little mixer and increased the 'Highs' and 'Lows' in all 4 channels by a little bit. All of the sounds I had sampled from my Kaossilator began to sound like almost an exact copy from its source. I dont know if you guys have noticed that whenever you sample a sound from another source it changes a little as if it had lost its equalization (even when a high quality sample is created with the G1's sample looper.

Anyway all in all my sounds are sounding much clearer and how they are supposed to be or close on both my synths. Giving each stereo signal its own panned channel and then reinforcing it seems to clear things up and even remove unwanted noise!

I like stacking sounds on performance, detuning them, and panning them on each zone. Sometimes because of how the base sounds are created, they release a bit of distortion when the sound effects stack 4 times, but after using 4 panned channels all distortion is gone.

However I dont know what the heck im doing and i just like what i hear. I mean its a mixer after all so in the end it still yields 2 stereo signals (Left &Right) from the mixer's main output after everything gets mixed together. I dont see anything wrong with that. I still would like to know if im doing anything crazy or forbidden that shouldnt be done lol.

Thanks!!!

All you're doing is duplicating your sound, and therefore it's cancelling itself out. The best way to go to a stereo mixer is from the designated RIGHT and LEFT outputs on any keyboard into the designated right and left inputs on the board. There's nothing wrong with doing a hard pan of the sounds, but I usually let the sound guys do that after they have my signals.

It is making my sound much louder and i got all 4 channels at a lower level than usual with lower gain or risk clipping. I dont see a need for me to do that 4 channel mess since its something i never needed in the first place. 

The 2 channel set up however was needed. The sound guys kept always complaining that i wasnt sending enough power to their mixer (i was using 1 channel not properly connected as stereo). I now use 2 channels (1 for each stereo signal) before sending thru my mixer's output. I wouldnt need to mess with a mixer in the first place since im not so advanced on mixing but i own both ght G1 and P1 and i hated when the sound guys took one of my synth out of balance with the other one. I now only send 1 signal for both that way then cant mess up my volume balance between my synths.

Hey Happyrat...

I got that same mixer brand but i got x4 as many inputs and outs of each stereo and microphone. Im not connecting to a computer so i would see the point of connecting to the stereo channels since EQ would be done on a computer program as the video shows. However is there a reason i should be connecting to the stereo channels that have no EQ's for live play?

After sampling sounds for my G1 they lose a bit of EQ and i can always fix it with my little mixer.

Should i EQ my stuff before sending it to the sound guy? Or should i hope he knows how im supposed to sound and let him handle it?

To my understanding you can also do stereo connections by connecting to 2 mic channels and panning them accordingly and you also get the benefit of having EQ sliders (at least with my mixer) instead of connecting to the designated stereo channels that have no EQs. Is this true?

Answers will be appreciated. Im just trying to sound right, but i dont know what i should or shouldnt do.

Let your Sound Guy handle the EQ.  That's what you pay him for.

I believe you can also access some EQ settings internally on the G1 itself if you want to punch up the highs and lows a bit.

But basically send your sound guy an uncolored audio signal and let him handle the mix for the room as it demands.

As for using the Mic inputs as stereo ins, no comment.  They weren't really designed to be used that way though.

And I use a Behringer 1202FX as well, but my setup is not for live play, it's for my home studio and computer recording.

post-14-0-22681800-1398843907.jpg

I'm also thinking of adding a Mackie subwoofer to my setup to give it a little more presence.

http://www.axemusic.com/store/product/32404/Mackie-MR10S-mk3-10-Inch-Active-Studio-Reference-Subwoofer/

Gary

Ahhh thanks for the comments. I guess i'll give the stereo inputs a shot and slightly give it some high and low within my G1 so that i can at least match the sound to its source prior to sampling, and get the same sound quality from the original wave.

Holy Molly thats some set up you got up there lol. Mine would go like this:

G1 and P1 to Mixer to Kaossilator to Main mixer. I dont know if connecting my little mixer to the kaossilator is a good idea, or maybe i should do G1 to P1 stereo input to Kaossilator to little mixer to main mixer.

The Kaossilator is ok hooked up anywhere in the chain.  It's all line level.  Your only real question is whether or not you want to use it on only one or both keyboards all the time.for instance if you wanted to use Kaos effects on the G1 while playing a clean organ on the P1 you'd be out of luck.

Then again it all depends on what sort of sound you're going for.

Gary