Video Files on Forum ×

external duplicate control of a slider or knob

elecmuse3

Because I have  a 2nd keyboard directly above the PX5, and a 3rd one right above that in a customized unchangeable stand which was built for a flatter keyboard, I can't easily reach the sliders & knobs. What I want to do is send a CC to the PX5 from an external controller/keyboard's knob, which will duplicate moving slider one, to add a bit of grit to an EP the way that slider does on many programs.

Since the editor only specifies the target "DSP param 1" I need to know how if possible to send the PX5 what it will read as "DSP param 1".

Of course, the same principle would apply to many other knobs & sliders.

I can set one of the external sliders to output almost any CC# to the PX, although for some reason my XP80 sliders or pedals can't be set to 32-63 :huh: (but its keybed feels really really good).

I looked thoroughly but didn't find any answers here., so hopefully someone's figured this out but didn't happen to post it.

Hello elecmuse3,

The easiest way (for me at least) to understand what the midi values are for specific functions on the PX-5s is to hook it up to a computer that can run software that displays real-time midi messages received.  I use Midi-Ox on Windows.  Once you slide sliders and turn dials or use functions, you can actively see what the PX is transmitting.  If you mirror that with your other midi device plugged into the PX, in most cases you can control the PX externally with those same codes.  DSP for example, likely requires an NRPN message where there is a control code that identifies the parameter on the proper channel to change and then a data entry value that "describes" the value to assign - if you can see those messages, it makes it easy to duplicate.

In some cases the receive is a little different than the transmit.  In those cases you would need to refer to the midi manual.

For those values that your machine can't transmit, if you need them, find CCs that you don't intend to use or are unassigned in Midi.  Again, routing through something like Midi-Ox you can receive codes as one value but resend them as different values. 

Wow, I guess I've been without my main computer for long enough to have forgotten that I could just look at what the knob sends. I've been just working with the PX5's editor. I'll be getting the computer back in a few days, and let you know what I find. I'll look into MIDI-Ox as well. Thanks for the reminder, and I hope this helps others too.