Using a (continuous) sustain pedal as expression

barmassimo

Hi all,

this is my first post on this forum and I'm considering buying a PX-5S.

I would like to use partial sustain even if the PX-5S comes with only an on-off sustain IN.

Is it possible to plug a sustain pedal like Yamaha FC3 or Roland DP10 into an expression IN of a keyboard? 

If the two kinds of pedals are electronically compatible with expression (not springed) pedals, I would expect to get expression (CC#11) continuous Midi signals when I press the pedal, so I could remap it with a software on sustain messages (CC#64) and control a vst like Pianoteq.

Has anyone tried it?

Thank you, sorry for my English,

Massimo

Hi Massimo,

I have a Roland DP-10 pedal plugged into my Px-5s. It only works as simple sustain pedal (on/off). When the Px-5s boots, It automatically detects the polarity of the pedal.

Hi Nick, thank you for the answer, and thank you to Choppin and Scott too.

Did you try to connect the DP-10 to the other pedal IN, and see if the Casio sends something on the MIDI OUT?

A sequence of continuous CC messages would suffice to control software pianos like Pianoteq, that can be configured to get continuous sustain on any CC number (not necessarily CC #64).

Please, can you try this quick experiment?

I hope the message is clear, again sorry for my English.

Massimo

Interesting.  I would be curious about the result of that test.  The test is to plug an expression pedal or a half damper capable pedal into the PX-5s and then read the MIDI data that is generated  - regardless of how it behaves on the Px-5s.

The hook-up might look like this:

Expression pedal --> PX-5s --> USB or MIDI Out --> Computer --> read the MIDI messages that are being displayed when pressing the pedal.

The PX-5s sound generator supports half damping of the piano tone.  It can be done with the PX5s sliders or knobs set to CC64 Hold.  The pedal jacks on the PX-5s are not designed for a continuous controller pedal.  They work with switching type pedals. 

Oh, what a pity, for a nearly perfect piano, synth and controller.

With two pedal inputs, I just assumed that the second one were an expression pedal. 

Even my old Roland U20 had expression input...

I could use my Roland a500 controller (dp10 pedal -> a500 -> casio midi in) but I would like to avoid it.

I'll probably wait for the px5s successor :-)

Thank you, 

Massimo