programmers: Is this possible

dlm

I have created a stage setting for Bryan Adams "Heaven" as follows:

zone 1 = piano sound

zone 2 = electric piano sound (which I layer with zone one)

zone 3 = string sound (assigned to a slider for use on choruses, bridge, and verse 2)

zone 4 = turned off

(I currently use only one pedal for sustaining the piano tones)

Everything is really good... but, to be GREAT, I need the ability to play the sustained high string tonic note at the beginning while simultaneously playing the melody part from zones 1 & 2...

Right now, this is accomplished by playing that note on a separate keyboard and sustain pedal and playing the other parts on my Privia.

My question is... Can this high string sound be programmed into zone 4 and somehow triggered, sustained , and cut off... either by a second pedal or by manually playing that note on the keyboard...while performing with the other sounds at the same time  (All on the Privia 5S)?

If this could happen, please explain how to do that.

Thanks in advance!

Without going into details, you could record a phrase which is just your one note, and set it to loop as long as it doesn't  have an attack, then load that phrase into your arpeggiator for zone 4, turn off the arpeggiator for the other zones. You could then set pedal 2 to turn the volume up/down for zone 4.

Alternatively, you could record that one note for how long as you want it to be played to the usb key and use pedal 2 to start/stop playback.

Might be other ways too, I'm a novice so maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in but if you want to attempt the first way, Mike has some videos on the offical youtube casio channel which goes over recording phrases and using the arpeggiator to play phrases.

I decided to make you a stage setting as a demo where I did the first suggestion. A one note phrase is looped and played back using the arpeggiator in zone four. You need to press one key on the piano to trigger the arpeggiator to begin and then pedal 2 will bring the volume/up down. You can change the on/off rate for pedal 2 to change the attack/release for this one note.

I tried to attach it here but I got the message:

Error You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file

Anyone know if it is possible to attach a stage setting here?

hey guys ... thanks for your help...but

I tried recording a phrase EXACTLY the way Mike Martin did in video 1 & 2 and every time I tried to record the note, there was NO SOUND.  WHY would this be?

very confused

hmm, well let's try and figure out what the confusion is.

When you load my stage setting. First thing to do just tap one note anywhere on the board. This triggers the arpeggio on zone four to start but it's actually muted.

Then to bring the volume up on zone 4 where one note is just looping, just tap and release pedal 2. It is set to "toggle" so it acts like a on/off switch - tap once for ON, tap again for OFF. A normal sustain pedal is set to "momentary". You find this option in stage setting>common edit>pedal 2 edit.

Tapping pedal 2 once will raise the volume for zone 4, tapping it again will decrease the volume.

Does that make sense?

Don't forget, you need to turn on/off the pedal for the zones you want it to target. Go to:

edit>stage setting>zone edit>controller edit>pedal 2 enable

Then flip between the 4 zones using the zone+/- buttons and turn them off/on. They are all on by default, I think.

Well now I've given up....it just doesn't work. I did what you guys said and I guess I just don't get it...and I TRIED AND TRIED. I think the only way to get it is if maybe one of you ćould contact me by private email and I could get a phone number...maybe you wouldn't want to do that, but I am so disappointed that I can't get this to work, I don't know what else to do. Thanks for trying to help.

I REALLY thought one of these ways would get it done, but it's way above my programming abilities.

What I don't understand:

1) #3 slider doesn't control volume of strings for chorus, verse two, etc...it's not assigned? It just plays automatically with the piano and electric piano sounds

2) when I hit "any key" on the keyboard and then tap the pedal, nothing happens..

There is NO sustained note (dc2k) just silence

3) (Norm) I don't understand how to program pedal2 to just sustain the"high string" (I am less than a novice...) do you program it to just pay C6? If so, how do you do that (step by step)

Angry at myself for not getting this

No worries, let's try and figure it out.

Firstly, I didn't do anything to slider 3 in my stage setting. I don't know the song you are trying to replicate. The only purpose of my stage setting was to have pedal 2 be used to control the volume of zone 4 where a 1 note phrase is looping using the arp. Now, I'm thinking there could be something wrong with the stage setting, that it didn't save the phrase properly or something so it works on my px5s but not yours. So I would like to ask someone else to download it and try it to see if it does work for them.

For now, I'll just ask you:

When you load the stage setting, do you notice that the arpeggio light beside the volume control is flashing? This means the arpeggio holds (continues playing when you release a note). You hold the the sys setting button and then press the arp button to toggle between hold/don't hold. When the light flashes it is in hold mode.

I saved the stage setting wit the arp in hold mode and when I load it, it is in hold mode on my 5s but can you clarify that it is in hold mode for you -  that the light is flashing? 

Ok, yeah I'm thinking phrases don't save with a stage setting, so I might have to give you the one note phrase I used and you have to save that in the correct position. I think I remember someone saying that. Can anyone else confirm?

If you want to check yourself, I've attached the one note phrase. Do you know how to load it into position #125 in your phrases? 

Then try the stage setting again.

OneNote.zip

• Like 1

yeah, I recorded it as an e. But lets, go over the steps to change that to an c so you learn something. The arpeggiator is already set up to play whatever phrase is in #125 in the phrase list for zone 4 so let's just change the phrase in #125 from a looping e note to a looping c note.

• Press the phrase button twice so the two lights are flashing.
  • Scroll down to end measure and change that to 2. This means it will record for 2 bars. You could put any number but lets just pick 2.
  • Next time you press a key on the piano (or a control), it will record for 2 bars and then end.
  • If you left "end measure" on auto instead of 2, you would need to press the record button to stop the recording.
  • So press and hold the c note you want until the recording ends.
  • Phrases record only zone 1, but it doesn't matter what tone is selected on zone 1. Phrases don't record the tones, they only record the actions you make (notes you play, as well as slider/knobs or pedal movements you make) so any phrase you record can be played back with any instrument. You might record it with the piano on zone 1 but you will be playing it back with the string sound on zone 4.
  • Once it has finished recording, set loop to "on" if it is set to off.
  • Next you need to save and overwrite the phrase on #125.
  • So press the write button. Phrases are set up to automatically save in the next available slot so you need to change 126 in the top right to 125.
  • Then press enter and yes and you are done.

Any trouble, please ask.

A couple of things to note about phrases:

• They only record everything after the recording starts - for example if you hold down the sustain pedal before you start recording, it will not record the pedal movement (similarly if you have a chord or note held down before the recording starts, it will not record). You can however trigger the phrase to start recording by pressing a pedal.
  • You might have seen an option when you pressed the phrase button twice called "rec mode". Change that to "OUDB" which stands for over dub when you have a phrase recorded and that's when the real fun starts. It will loop over and over while you add more and more to your phrase. It's a lot of fun, even just recording slider movements over a phrase.
  • When you are about to record a phrase you can press the edit button to change the time to 3/4 5/4 etc etc. Default time is 4/4. Also press the tempo button to change the tempo. You can of course change the tempo after you have recorded your phrase.

FINALLY...EVERYTHING IS PERFECT!!!!!!

Dc2k....Assuming you are male (just a guess), I have to say "U R da man!"

Thankyou for your guidance and patience...and your expertise on the subject matter! You went way above and beyond to give me hope and confidence in learning to program this beautiful beast for the purpose I needed... and you even gave step-by-step instructions with your sample stage setting... wow! This forum rocks! It's kind people like you who make this workd a tolerable place. Thankyou again...and all other contributors!

Would anyone like to have this stage setting? If I can figure out how to post it, I will.

Darin McNabb

Bad Axe, MI

(And let me tell you, this Privia 5S is a "Bad Axe"!!! Lol)

• Like 2

You're more than welcome dlm. Like I say, I've gotten loads of help on this forum too so I like to play it forward. I still have a lot to learn too.

Best way to learn the features of the board I think is to watch Mike Martin's clinics: 

I don't want to drown you in vids and some of this might be covered in Mike's videos and some stuff you probably already know but PianoManChuck has some good tuts too:

I'd like to check out your stage setting, sure. You have to zip it and then click 'more reply options' which gives you the option to attach a file.

And you're right, the px5s is an amazing keyboard with a lot of possibilities.

• Like 1