Pedal 2 to switch Zone on and off

Colin_B
Go to solution Solved by Choppin,

Hi,

I'm having trouble getting Pedal 2 to toggle Zone 3 on and off.  I set Zone 3 to off and set Pedal 2 off in Zones 1, 2 and 4 and on in Zone 3.  I've set Common > Pedal 2 to Zone On/Off and saved the setting.  When I initially select the Stage Setting, Zone 3 is off.  I press Pedal 2 and Zone 3 is activated.  I press Pedal 2 again....nothing happens.  Zone 3 is now permanently on until I re-select the Stage Setting.

On and Off Rate and Min and Max values are all at 127 and Mode is set to Toggle.

Anyone managed to get this to work? 

Thanks in advance!

Colin

• 3 months later...

Sorry Sonny. We would need separate zone 1, 2, 3 and 4 on/off options as a pedal target.  As it is, we only have a general zone on/off switch.  There may be a workaround for this but I'm not aware of one offhand. 

The best way to swap between two sounds using the pedal is to use a hex layer tone.  Edit the hex layers to whatever tones you need.  Then you can use a pedal targeted to individual layers of a hex tone.  Using 2 targets, the pedal can turn off one layer while turning on another layer.  

• 2 years later...
On 30/7/2014 at 2:36 PM, Colin_B said:

That worked - thanks guys.  Schoolboy error :)

I know has been passed  three years now, I'm sorry, but I don't understand which was your error and how did it work since nobody gave you a valid solution. I am having the same issue with the switch pedal that comes with PX5S, engaged as pedal 2. I set up everything as you said but I can't manage to switch on/off the  zone, maybe it is not the right pedal or maybe there are some other set to do, I don't understand. Finally BradMZ said there is no way to turn ON one zone, and AT THE SAME TIME, turn OFF a different zone.....all with ONE press of Pedal 2. Is it still like it or has something changed in these years? It would be great! 

His pedal was set to min 127 and max 127.  Both of those are ON message values.  He needed an OFF message value of "0" as min.  

Nothing has changed in terms of switching two zones at once. 

For your situation, check that edit>stage setting>zone>controller>pedal enable....is ON for the zone you want to switch.  

19 hours ago, BradMZ said:

His pedal was set to min 127 and max 127.  Both of those are ON message values.  He needed an OFF message value of "0" as min.  

Nothing has changed in terms of switching two zones at once. 

For your situation, check that edit>stage setting>zone>controller>pedal enable....is ON for the zone you want to switch.  

Thanks for the answer BradMZ, it's ok, my pedal 2 target is "Zone On/Off" the min and max value are set to  0 and 127 respectively, the On Rate and Off Rate are set to 0 and 127 and the edit>stage setting>zone>controller>pedal enable....is ON for the zone I want to switch and OFF for the others....... but It doesn't work, I also tried with System-Stage Set Filter-Pedal 2 at ON and then at "Stage Inc", but neither of them works. That pedal seems to work fine just like Pedal 1 (sustain) and not for other purposes. Tomorrow I'll ask a friend of mine to lend me another switch pedal and I'll do another test. Auff, what a stress! but I love too much this keyboard and don't want give up it now.

19 hours ago, francoran said:

Thanks for the answer BradMZ, it's ok, my pedal 2 target is "Zone On/Off" the min and max value are set to  0 and 127 respectively, the On Rate and Off Rate are set to 0 and 127 and the edit>stage setting>zone>controller>pedal enable....is ON for the zone I want to switch and OFF for the others....... but It doesn't work, I also tried with System-Stage Set Filter-Pedal 2 at ON and then at "Stage Inc", but neither of them works. That pedal seems to work fine just like Pedal 1 (sustain) and not for other purposes. Tomorrow I'll ask a friend of mine to lend me another switch pedal and I'll do another test. Auff, what a stress! but I love too much this keyboard and don't want give up it now.

I got it, ON and OFF rate must be both at 127. Thank you!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a further clarification of how these settings work: In any target that is intended to send an On/Off message, such as Zone On/Off, Arpeggio On/Off, LayerX On/Off etc., any Min value of 63 or less sends the Off message and any Max value of 64 and above sends the On message, therefore a Min value of 0 and a Max value of 127 will send the Off and On messages respectively. With these types of targets, reducing the On Rate and Off Rate values to less than 127 causes a delay before the message is sent. For example, reducing the On Rate to 3 will cause a delay of a few seconds; if it is reduced to 0, the message will never be sent.

If the targets are Continuous Controls that accept variable values such as Volume, Expression etc., the Min Values, Max Values, On Rate and Off Rate act differently. The Min and Max values are obviously set to whatever you require for the control and the On and Off Rates control how long it will take reach those values. Importantly though, it needs to be understood that in the case of the pedals set to Momentary Mode, the Max value is the value that is sent when the Pedal is depressed (on), while the Min Value is the value that is sent when the pedal is released (off). In Toggle Mode, Max and Min values are sent alternatively.

For example, say I want Pedal 2 to provide a sforzando-like effect to give a quick dip in volume and slow recovery. In this situation, I select Expression (CC11) as the target, set the Min Value to 127, the Max Value to 30, the On Rate to 70, the Off Rate to 20 and the Mode to Momentary. Now, when I depress the pedal, the level of the selected zone(s) quickly dip to a bit below the set volume and when I release the pedal, the level gradually recovers.

I could do a similar thing to increase the volume of a zone for a solo rather than using a slider, assuming that the volume is not already set at the maximum 127. In this case I have a zone with its volume set to 90. I select Volume (CC07) as the target, set the Min Value to 90, the Max Value to 127, the On Rate to  127, and because I don't want the drop to the original volume to be too sudden, I set the Off Rate to 85 and the Mode to Momentary. Now when I depress the pedal the volume immediately jumps to maximum for the solo and smoothly returns to the preset volume when it is released.

I hope you find this explanation and examples helpful.

• 4 weeks later...