Video Files on Forum ×

PX-350 program changes

Jokeyman123

Some of you (the patient ones) may have read some of my PX-350 posts. I find this the most rewarding digital piano I've played so far but have also mentioned some of its limitations (IMO) if one expects more of a "workstation" approach although I realize it is not designed that way. There is one function that has me stumped.

When recording to a DAW or simple midi sequencer and by using Midiox I've found the PX350 will send program and bank change messages, LSB and MSB but only on midi channel 4. I've posted this elsewhere here for anyone recording multi-track midi arrangements with software. It does this regardless of what "mode" I'm in-song recorder, tone, etc.

Maybe I'm missing a simple solution. Since the PX must be set up manually for recording each midi track by selecting its individual channel from within the PX song recorder but will not send program changes on that channel to software recording unless it's channel 4... how do I record bank and or program change messages for a multi-track midi arrangement in software?

When using the song recorder, I guess that for every track I record internally, after selecting the midi channel and "tone", it is recording all these together in the "system" track on channel 4. Midi and tone settings are retained in the song recorder memory and for saving to the USB thumb drive. But if I need to duplicate that function with a software sequencer (recording bank/program change messages in each track), is it possible? Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi Jokeyman,

I just tested and succeeded in doing it on midi channel 1. Setup: Casio PX-350, USB connection to laptop running Sekaiju (freeware midi program). On Casio, press song recorder twice to set it to flashing. Then, press funtion+song recorder and set midi channel to 1 (maybe this is what you missed?!). In Sekaiju, record midi channel 1 only, and hit record. All program changes were received in Sekaiju.Program Changes.txt

Regards,

Michiel

See also attached screenshot (rename .txt to .jpg). You'll see Bank Changes and Program Changes for Casio specific tones, here in the Strings group. I got these events just by selecting the Strings group and then hitting the [^ / YES] button on the Casio panel.

BTW, you'll also see I don't know how to play the piano  :unsure: ...

Screenshot Sekaiju.txt

Got the same results in Cubase, all program changes and bank select controls were successfully transmitted from the Casio and received by Cubase on my laptop, on midi channel 1. Did not even have to set up an instrument for this to work, only midi in and out to the correct device (Casio USB-MIDI). Of course, I don't get nice instrument names now, but at least I can record and play back all (changes of) tones on all channels. I suspect your USB driver may be too generic. Do you see it being recognized as "Casio USB-MIDI" when selecting MIDI IN and OUT ports?

OK, this works. On midi channel one. So it has to be on midi channel one. I was using midiox to trace midi out messages, this works. I guess the midi channel 4 has something to do with the "system" track messages-where one sends data for various master or global functions.

So if i record a multitrack midi file-I would have to send my program and bank changes out on midi channel one only for each track, at least until these are recorded into the sequencer. I will try to see if I can play a composition back on multi midi channels by switching the midi channel tracks out to respective channels with my sequencer software. i am too spoiled by previous workstation sequencers, the PX350 is not a workstation, I know that.

I've use Anvil studio, Reaper and an old open-source DAW called Jazzware, which has a very ugly interface, but works well and is very simple/fast to work with.

I've been through the ropes over the years with every conceivable mid/usb and other drivers in Windows. I have the Casio USB driver installed and I've used it with the several Casio data managers and the XW-P1 editor/librarian. The Windows USB from Service Pack III had certain USB software to recognize many USB devices not seen in SP 1 or 2 which I also keep installed, I know more about the windows registry than any sane person would want to know. I've been mucking with this stuff since DOS command line stuff, and with an Atari 520ST with my first efforts to use music and other software. Not bragging, just leaving this legacy so when people find me dead in front of a computer, they'll know what killed me! :P  as far as not being able to play the piano, it could be worse-you could know how, then your real troubles begin! ;)

Lol man, you rock! One final remark: in my setup, it doesn't have to be midi channel 1 per se, it can be any channel. E.g. in my Seakiju screenshot, you can see I used channel 7.

That's it for me, I'm off, back to my piano, hope we all can help each other in this forum  :)

• 4 months later...

Thank you mredert! I only just realized your .ins is what I was looking for. After all this, the difficulty I was having was due to the simple fact that I was trying to midi record to the computer sequencer with song recorder functions-recording to the PX and to the DAW at the same time when all I had to do was operate the PX as if it had no sequencer at all-pick a tone, pick my midi transmit channel and record with the computer sequencer.  The Jazzware sequencer did not pick up bank changes because it was using a different instrument definition file not specific to the PX350. And bank changes-I overlooked the bank change numbers being all over the place, not where i expected these to be-all organs being in consecutive bank changes etc. Referring back to this post, now that I have all program/bank changes working- i could access all GM tones but not the "extended" Casio set-I was using a different type of instrument definition file called a ".jzi" which is jazzware's equivalent to the Cakewalk .ins files but not easily translatable, it's using a slightly different format for it's code-I'll have to re-write my own for the PX-350 using their code. Is this file you created specifically for Cakewalk or Sekaiju, or either?

If  talking about midi data, ( a vst is being controlled by midi data, correct?) I need to control the volume of individual tracks in the PX350 when I record several tracks (or even just one) strictly in software-in my sequencer I have to manually set the volume using  a standard used by many cc ranges which is 1-127. Some software midi sequencers have visual sliders as on a mixing desk for each individual midi track or channel. This is the only way the individual tracks of the PX350 can be controlled, there are no physical controls on the PX350 for this type of setting. This is also true for settings such as pan, program and bank change and the 2 built-in effects on the PX-chorus and reverb levels can controlled and with a much finer degree of adjustment with software controls, again with my software using the numbers 1-127 for levels of reverb and chorus. Works fine with software, but again there are no physical controls on the px except for buttons used to select type of effect and a few different levels of chorus and reverb.