Power is Nothing without Control.

Normski

Thanks guys, I'm on the case!

BTW I just got in after having a glorious August Sunday afternoon playing good old 50’s rock and roll in the middle of a field at the Mid Somerset Show depping on piano for the Harlem Rhythm Cat's on my trusty PX5s! Man did I have a ball! :-)

That gig would have been a total pain if I'd had to take my RD.. Couldn't get the van anywhere near, too many people!

• Like 1

Hi HectorSpace
I love your Idea of Retro fitting a couple of sockets to take control of a knob or slider, Great Idea, not to dampen your fabulous idea, but guess what CC is not available to the knobs and sliders.
Yep Master Vol.
This was one of the suggestions I had originally said would make a great and useful O/S upgrade

But there’s got to be so many other things that pedal could do.

I might just add one too.

Norm

Hi Guys

As I said previously, we all use our kit in our own way and so have our own pet needs. There are some fundamentals though.

Midi cc 11 is expression. This controller does not change the max volume of a part or zone, it nicely sweeps from nowt up to the volume level preset for that part/zone if you have a continuous pedal or some other continuous control device.

Midi cc 07 is volume for a part/zone. It will override the preset level for this part.

Master volume is different again. It does not change the relative levels of each zone/part. It actually sweeps the whole systems's volume up or down if you can control it and you have a controlling device!

As has already been said, the direct way to change master volume on the px5s is via a device type specific system exclusive message. It is possible to program the MidiSolutions controller pedal unit to send out a dynamically formed message of this type and so use a continuous pedal to control the px5s master volume.

Interestingly though the net effect of configuring all parts to respond to cc 11 (expression) is pretty much the same. The volume of each part is fixed relative to other parts and all will increase or decrease together in response to the controller pedal. I'm pretty sure that parts 5 to 16 will also respond to externally input cc11 messages although i dont think these parts can be directly controlled from the px5s panel knobs and sliders.

Some more food for thought! :-)

• 1 month later...

I can't help feeling life would have been a lot easier though if there'd been a couple of continuous pedal controller inputs on the px5. My current plan is to modify the px5s once the warranty period has expired. I really don't need 6 sliders and 4 knobs! Although I find I use the the sliders quite a lot, I don't use the knobs much. As far as i can tell these knobs are analogue pots. So I'm planning on adding a couple of switching stereo jacks on the back and paralleling the pots for knobs 3 & 4 through these and a little bit of protection circuitry. So when the pedals (I use modified Yamaha Fc7's) are plugged in they take over the knob operation. Because these knobs are so configurable and they're at the heart of the px5s system, the control options multiply massively without compromising the rig with extra wires, power supplies and boxes. Roll on next year!

Same idea here ;) just not sure I can wait till warranty expires (it is 2 years in Italy, where I live)

I have found an Ardunio-based MIDI expression pedal. You basically strip an existing pedal and add a MIDI port and the new guts. Total price on a one-off is around $100-$150, depending on where you source the parts. Unfortunately there isn't a huge market for these, so getting the price down is tough.  

Here's the link with all the instructions if you are handy with sort of thing:
http://www.codeproje...pression-Pedal�

FootPedal3.jpg

FinalCircuitBoardBack.png

FinalCircuitBoardFront.png

CircuitBoardComponentsCloseup.png

CircuitBoardWithComponents.png

AssembledComponents.jpg

maybe MIKE would give us a hint asking the Programmers what´s possible what´s not if this is a price issue add the functions and let us pay for it ,,,,for me would be ok paying for a bigger update....and

of course the more i will get a next Casio ,,,again and again ,,,there are a lot of Synth outside and believe me the next Korg Yamaha KUrzweil will do what a PX5S do because they know the have to ,,,,,,so

today the Hardware is just a part of the business.....

• 2 months later...

I have one of these:   http://www.rocktron.com/midi-xchange.html

I use it to work the volume on the drawbar organ of my WK3200.  Unfortunately, I can only use it for standard volume on a single midi channel.  If you can map CCs, you can use the other input for something else.  Works fine with an MAudio EX-P pedal.

I like the idea of patching in to the knobs.  I'll be really curious how Hector's experiment turns out.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found an Ardunio-based MIDI expression pedal. You basically strip an existing pedal and add a MIDI port and the new guts. Total price on a one-off is around $100-$150, depending on where you source the parts. Unfortunately there isn't a huge market for these, so getting the price down is tough.  

Here's the link with all the instructions if you are handy with sort of thing:

http://www.codeproje...pression-Pedal�

FootPedal3.jpg

FinalCircuitBoardBack.png

FinalCircuitBoardFront.png

CircuitBoardComponentsCloseup.png

CircuitBoardWithComponents.png

AssembledComponents.jpg

Images are not showing and the link is a dead one?

Normski, I'm still not clear why a plain physical (analog) volume pedal won't control the volume in the way you want, or what the disadvantages for your setup are. Just trying to understand, and certainly there are many uses for a MIDI control pedal so all the discussion here is quite useful.