AC Power Adapter plug

PianoManChuck

On the AC adapter, I need to replace just the plug that plugs into the Privia's power jack.  Does anyone know the name of this connector plug?  I've seen a whole bunch of connector plugs at the electronics store that all look the same but with varying sizes.  Anyone know which one in particular this one is?

Hello PianoManChuck, great reviews by the way, thanks much. Went for the PX-350 partially based on your videos and loving it.

Unless Mike can give you exact dimension specs, this is never an easy proposition as these plugs always go before the supply itself. and Radio Shack-maybe they have these parts and maybe not.

There are 2 possibilities I can think of:

1) Jameco electronics online has a huge variety of these plugs, called barrel plugs, but again unless you know exactly what size this is-the inside and outside dimensions have to be exactly the same-might look right but every manufacturer seems to make these in slightly different sizes. Even if the outer sleeve fits, the inner piece has to be exact or there will be no electrical contact. Prices at Jameco for parts are excellent and there might be "sets" of these barrel plugs in a large variety of sizes but you still take your chances one will fit and you'll still have to do some soldering. And Radio Shack if you have one locally used to have bins full of parts-I'd take the plug and physically match it if a Radio Shack store is an option for you. Sadly there aren't any electronics parts suppliers in most areas nowadays and even Radio Shack is scaling down parts although they have an online parts supply website as well.

2) This may void the warranty so i can't recommend the following if that is a concern.

I've purchased for backup a universal laptop power supply with switchable voltages including the 12V needed by the Casio-get one that includes a variety of adapter plugs to fit many different laptops since some of these have only one size barrel plug for a specific laptop size. These are cheap and plentiful on eBay or Amazon (make sure you pick a good vendor with a good track record for shipping, etc). One of the barrel plug adapters in my kit actually fits the Casio and works if I need it although I prefer the factory supply. it also powers several other electronic music things-fits a Zoom MRS-1044 recorder and a Yamaha RM1X so acts as a good spare for several things.

The polarities depending upon brand may or may not be switchable, fortunately the Casio is tip positive as are the universal laptop adapters so that's good. The laptop power supplies have the advantage of providing enough "juice" or amperage and "watts" to run these since laptops usually need a heftier supply of both as does the PX-350 which acually doesn't need as much as a laptop-its a very efficient electronic device.

Since the Casio will only "draw" the amperage and watts it needs, there is no danger of damage as long as the voltage is correct and I've had no problems using this type of supply. The danger is using a supply with insufficient power or juice, which can damage the supply and the Casio. Mike Martin if you read this, please correct me if I'm wrong, I certainly don't want to give PianoManChuck or anyone stupid advice! The only other alternative is simply buying the correct replacement supply which is what Casio recommends of course. Hope this helps. Have a good day.

Hello PianoManChuck, great reviews by the way, thanks much. Went for the PX-350 partially based on your videos and loving it.

Unless Mike can give you exact dimension specs, this is never an easy proposition as these plugs always go before the supply itself. and Radio Shack-maybe they have these parts and maybe not.

There are 2 possibilities I can think of:

1) Jameco electronics online has a huge variety of these plugs, called barrel plugs, but again unless you know exactly what size this is-the inside and outside dimensions have to be exactly the same-might look right but every manufacturer seems to make these in slightly different sizes. Even if the outer sleeve fits, the inner piece has to be exact or there will be no electrical contact. Prices at Jameco for parts are excellent and there might be "sets" of these barrel plugs in a large variety of sizes but you still take your chances one will fit and you'll still have to do some soldering. And Radio Shack if you have one locally used to have bins full of parts-I'd take the plug and physically match it if a Radio Shack store is an option for you. Sadly there aren't any electronics parts suppliers in most areas nowadays and even Radio Shack is scaling down parts although they have an online parts supply website as well.

2) This may void the warranty so i can't recommend the following if that is a concern.

I've purchased for backup a universal laptop power supply with switchable voltages including the 12V needed by the Casio-get one that includes a variety of adapter plugs to fit many different laptops since some of these have only one size barrel plug for a specific laptop size. These are cheap and plentiful on eBay or Amazon (make sure you pick a good vendor with a good track record for shipping, etc). One of the barrel plug adapters in my kit actually fits the Casio and works if I need it although I prefer the factory supply. it also powers several other electronic music things-fits a Zoom MRS-1044 recorder and a Yamaha RM1X so acts as a good spare for several things.

The polarities depending upon brand may or may not be switchable, fortunately the Casio is tip positive as are the universal laptop adapters so that's good. The laptop power supplies have the advantage of providing enough "juice" or amperage and "watts" to run these since laptops usually need a heftier supply of both as does the PX-350 which acually doesn't need as much as a laptop-its a very efficient electronic device.

Since the Casio will only "draw" the amperage and watts it needs, there is no danger of damage as long as the voltage is correct and I've had no problems using this type of supply. The danger is using a supply with insufficient power or juice, which can damage the supply and the Casio. Mike Martin if you read this, please correct me if I'm wrong, I certainly don't want to give PianoManChuck or anyone stupid advice! The only other alternative is simply buying the correct replacement supply which is what Casio recommends of course. Hope this helps. Have a good day.

Thanks for the detailed response... very informative!  Actually, I don't need a new power supply (AD-A12150), mine works great!  I had a completely different intention for wanting that plug. 

While I love the PX-5S with its penlight battery operation, I actually prefer to bring the PX-350 with me to smaller, more intimate gigs.  Some are even on backyard patios, or somewhere else without power.  For me, the less equipment I carry around, the better!  The PX-5s requires that I bring an external amp & speakers (PA) & cables, which I do by bringing along a Roland KC-110 (also operates on batteries).

My idea was to build a portable battery housing (probably 8 C batteries, as I'm not sure AA batteries would suffice), and wire it up to the DC input of the PX-350.  Since the PX-350 has its own amp & speakers built in, the only thing I'm missing is portable battery power.  This is why I'm interested in that particular plug.

Sorry for that long post, I get a little too carried away trying to be helpful.

One other idea (I'll be brief I promise!) I purchased a portable power supply years ago from Radio Shack which contained a small portable 12V lead-acid battery as used in motorcycles or even portable camping lanterns. It had a variety of barrel plugs, was rechargeable. I've seen similar at many "big box" stores or Amazon etc. Might be what you need. Certainly will have enough power and I think the newest types will have a variety of barrel plug adapters one of which might fit the Casio.

Thanks Mike for helping, I know I'm not officially recommending anything, just keeping my "bad boy" image intact, and just another "cunning plan"! :-)

Another thought-I would not connect anything unless it has a filtered regulated output l'm sure the Casio power supply has. I would not directly connect a 12V battery to the PX-350 since it was not designed for battery power.

Would be safer to get the type of power inverter/converter that changes 12V from a car type battery to an AC outlet and plug the Casio power supply into that. I've used this approach in the field to power ham radio sets that need AC power. The converter plugs into your cigarette lighter socket and provides a regulated, controlled AC power outlet. There are portable power packs that provide AC power using this approach. I'm sure this will work with no risk of damaging anything and the converters are small not too expensive but the fully contained power units cost a little more and are rechargeable. Sorry I did it again, another long post!