Video Files on Forum ×

Thinking of buying a XW-P1 or G1 some help please?

Hi thought I'd give a quick update......

I've managed to purchase a G1 from the local shop unfortunately they told me their supplier no longer stocks th G1 so I had to take the demo....still really pleased with it but not even had time to scratch the surface yet.

I realised I had the old software version so upgraded the firmware software today but i have another concern.

Im not managing to hear any change from trying to use the sliders or the 4 knobs can someone explain what I'm doing wrong or is it possible someone using these function have disabled them completely?

Scott......

• Like 1

Hi Larry,

I tried all this yesterday before I posted but nothing from the sliders or the 4 knobs which is why I was wondering if there was maybe a setting turned off??

I don't want to go back to the shop unless I have to as they were worse than useless to begin with....

Scott

Could you post a video or a narrated audio track of what you're trying to do with the sliders and knobs?  I believe in standard PCM mode they'll have little to no effect.  They only really come into play in solo synth mode.

Also in Hex mode and Drawbar organ mode on the P1 but that's not what you bought.

Gary

EDIT >>> They should also be useable in step sequencer mode.  The sliders anyway.

>>>  And try initiating a factory reset.  That will clear out any garbage settings it may have picked up in the store.

Gary,

No way i can post a vid the internet on the island is rubbish it wont upload.

Its in solo synth mode ive tried editing and in the step sequencer too but nothing. I went into the shop yesterday and did exactly the same on the P1 they have and it worked fine so I'm going to take it back.

How do you do the factory reset? I thought this would have been done when I upload the firmware to 1.1??

Scott

Factory reset >>>  Settings >>> General >>> scroll down to the bottom item on that menu and hit enter (Initialize)

You technically should have been tolkd to do a reset when you installed the firmware actually.  I believe it's in the firmware instructions.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Both the P1 anmd the G1 offer pattern sequencing, arpeggiators, step sequencer, PCM tones, and  Solo Synth tones.

What the P1 has that the G1 doesn't is Drawbar Organs and Hex Layer Mode.

What the G1 olffers that the P1 doesn't is Sound Sampling and additonal controls for Solo Synth Mode.

Both have 16 Step Sequencers which can be chained in up to 99 chains per performance.

Trying to pigeonhole one as a performance synth and the other as a deejay synth is something of a misnomer when you actually look at the specs to choose which features are necessary and which ones you can live without.

Gary

Basically almost ANY electronic keyboard built since 1999 comes with GM Sound Capability.

Excluding a few low end electronic pianos with like 16 voices, pretty much any synth is capable of the basic 128 General MIDI toneset.

Both the P1 and the G1 include the 128 GM MIDI tones as a subset of the 384 or whatever the number is of PCM tones built into both keyboards.

If your intent is to produce GM MIDI files for distribution on the internet either machine can readily accomodate you.

However, the potential for using the other sounds is so much richer and more rewarding if you take advantage of ALL the sounds the keyboards have to offer and release your stuff in MP3 format.

If your intention is to use the keyboards to play back GM songs you've downloaded from the internet that's also a no brainer.

Then again, most modern musicians consider the GM soundset to be pretty cheezy and limiting from a pure audio standpoint and we do everything we can to avoid using those sounds except as a last resort.

For that matter, you could just as easily setup an XW to act as a MIDI controller for your computer and run some first class virtual synths that would blow away the sounds built into the XW's PCM soundset.

It all boils down to how creative you can be and how much effort you put into learning the craft.

Gary ;)

Scottie Dog  >>> How are you getting on with your G1?  If you feel like posting some samples try using http://soundcloud.com instead of Youtube.

It's audio only and chews up a hell of a lot less bandwidth than trying to upload video.

It's also a FREE! (As in Beer!) website ;)

Gary

Hi Gary,

I was getting on fine with the G1 really enjoying getting to grips with it but for sure its going to take a fair amount of time and effort from my side before that properly happens. Im on rotational leave for a month now so thats everything on hold until I get back to work. An added bonus was I saw another G1 for sale on ebay and managed to get it for £177 so I have one to use in the UK now when and if I ever get back home.

Scott.