Thinking of buying a XW-P1 or G1 some help please?

Hi all,

I'm new to this site and I'm looking for some help and advice......

I work on a remote island in Malaysia and I've been thinking of purchasing a P1 or G1 to help me pass the time in the evenings. There is a music shop on the island which have both in stock but nobody in the shop can play or knows how to use them to give me a proper demonstration.

I can't play the keyboards but have always wanted to learn and I think I've sorted out someone who can give me lessons.

Questions

Do you think I'm biting off more than I can chew i.e. these would be too advanced for me starting out?

I do play the old vinyl 1210s just a home DJ but I fancy trying to make my own music. Which one would be better P1 or G1 I've done a fair bit of watching tutorial vids but don't really understand a lot of the features and what they actually do so I'm not sure which would be best??

Finally what should I play it through the girl in the shop just suggested a guitar amp but she also told me there was no difference between the two apart from the colour!!!!  would it be better with a decent set of monitor speakers or would that not work??

Thanks in advance for anyone who can take the time and effort to help me out.......

Scott

Hi Scott and welcome to the forums,

I'll start with the guitar amp suggestion.  Do not use a guitar amp for a keyboard unless you want your keyboard to sound like an electric guitar. They are not designed for full range flat EQ response.   You'll want quality monitors or headphones.  

Next, I'll say that the XW's are fine for a beginner since they are playable without ever using any of the advanced features.  You can start out basic and learn more as you go.  

As far as G1 or P1....That's tough to say.  Depends on what you want to do.  Will you be more into beat making, loops and electronic sounds or experimenting?  G1 has the advantage there.   Will you be more of a performing musician and like deeper more complex layered sounds?   P1 is more suited there.  

The other members here will elaborate more.  Lot's of great XW owners here with lots of experience.  

• Like 3

Hello:

You can start with a headphones, but if in the area where you live is hot... Powered monitors are going very well.

The XW-G1 is the choice if you like instruments such as the KORG Electribe EMX or ESX and create electronic beats.

The XW-P1 is the choice if you like to create music style Tangerine Dream, Jean Michel Jarre, Vangelis... or other musical style.

But both synthesizers go beyond what they seem. But among them are very different.

Very summarized:

XW-P1: it is agile in tones and is very limited in creating rhythms (loops, sample).

XW-G1: it is agile to create rhythms and sounds (loops, sample). And it is very limited in tones.

Thank you and welcome.

XW-P1 links:

http://www.casiomusicgear.com/products/menu_xw/XW-P1

http://www.casio.com/products/Digital_Pianos_%26_Keyboards/Digital_Synthesizers/XW-P1/

XW-G1 links:

http://www.casiomusicgear.com/products/menu_xw/XW-G1

http://www.casio.com/products/Digital_Pianos_%26_Keyboards/Digital_Synthesizers/XW-G1/

Edited by David
  • Like 3

Hello Scott, welcome to the Casio forum!

Don't worry about not knowing much about the XWs, either one I think will keep you pretty amazed as you discover what you can create. If you like creating with sounds either complex or simple, these are wonderful musical instruments. I preferred the XW-P1 because it has drawbars similar to old school console organs which also control alot of very interesting functions for the other sounds.

It also has a very good sounding acoustic piano which will be helpful if you wish to develop piano skills. Although the keys are not heavy-weighted as a true piano, are still very "playable" and I am a pianist so I'm pretty fussy. And the more you are willing to learn, the more you will discover a huge amount of practical information here which could be a load of fun in itself, including by yours truly! People on this forum are some of the most helpful I've come across in a music forum, and Mike Martin also present here has some outstanding video tutorials for both XW-P1 and G1. Hope this helps.

• Like 3

I can't really add much more to what's already been said, though I would add this:

XW-P1: I find is slightly easier to understand and access, thanks the obvious buttons ('Solo synth', 'Hex Layers', 'Drawbar', 'PCM' banks). As David says, thanks to its Hex Layers it is better suited for ambient and soundscape type of music, and the drawbar organ lends itself towards jazz and retro music. However, it still has the solo synth and step sequencer so is quite capable of doing electronic EDM music, though not quite as easy to use as the G1.

XW-G1: Not quite as intuitive an interface, and requires a different mindset. However, the Solo Synth is MUCH more accessible thanks to the extra real time controls. Then you have the sampling and the looping functions that the P1 does not have, plus a bigger selection of drums/ percussion to use, both for the step sequencer and also simply for a bank via MIDI. It is, as said, more suited for electronic and EDM style music, with real time groove creating on the fly.

To be honest, you won't go far wrong whichever XW you get. I would recommend that if you can afford to, get both! I have both and they really do complement each other well. If you can only get one, then try and decide what type of music you would most like to make, and then choose appropriately.

As for amplification, you can use a guitar amp though they aren't ideal. Synthesizers have a greater frequency range than guitars so you won't get the best out of your XW going through an amp designed for guitars. If it's just for home use, a decent hi-fi amp with some quality speakers would suffice, and headphones are always an option. Especially if you don't want to disturb others.

Hope you get the best XW for you, and welcome to the forum BTW! :)

• Like 2

Just to throw in my $0.02

P1 >>> more of a musician's instrument.

G1 >>> more of a beatboxer's/deejay's sort of instrument.

As for amps.

Don't get a guitar amp.  Impedances and line levels are all wrong without a DI box and it doesn't have the frequency response you need for a full range keyboard.

Bass amp is a little better.  Worst case scenario if you can't afford better it will do in a pinch.

Keyboard amp(s) (You'll need a pair if you want to do stereo).  Much better choice if you're hauling stuff around on gigs.

Studio monitors.  Best for home studios and permanent setups where you aren't moving stuff around a lot.  Best sounding of the bunch, though if you want the deep low ends, you'll still have to add a subwoofer like this one. 

Mackie MR10S mk3

http://www.amazon.com/Mackie-MR10Smk3-10-Inch-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B00EA25G12/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407712286&sr=8-1&keywords=Mackie+MR10S+mk3

I wasn't happy with my bass sound until recently when I picked one up myself.

Monitors are the best solution but can add up to some serious money overall.

Take it with a grain of salt.  If your options are limited to either monitors or a bass amp then take what you can get.  Also check out your local craigslist for used amps.  People are always upgrading and letting used gear go cheap.

Gary ;)

• Like 2

BTW if you don't want to sink a sh*tload of money into speakers for this thing in a pinch you can do a nice kludge for home use using a set of 2.1 computer speakers and a couple of adapter plugs.

With the right adapters you can even plug into your home stereo.  It meets all the criteria for correct line levels and frequency range/response.

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Cable-CPR203-Dual-Inch/dp/B000068O18/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1407712665&sr=8-7&keywords=1%2F4%22+to+rca

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Cable-GPR101-Inch-Adaptor/dp/B000068O3S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407712665&sr=8-1&keywords=1%2F4%22+to+rca

http://www.amazon.com/Male-3-5mm-Stereo-Female-Y-Cable/dp/B000I23TTE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1407712789&sr=8-3&keywords=1+4+to+3.5mm+female

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speaker/dp/B000062VUO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1407712839&sr=8-7&keywords=2.1+computer+speakers

Anyway, either keyboard will give you years of fun to come even if you can barely tap out mary had a little lamb to begin with :D

Gary

• Like 2

Ok thanks people for all the advice and comments much appreciated......

Budget wise I'm not restricted but don't want to shell out on thousands of pounds on equipment because once my contract finishes (ok a couple of years from now at least) I've to try and hump the lot back to Scotland or abandon it.

Basically for sure don't use a guitar amp but I can get away with monitors, a separate amp and maybe a small pair of speakers or no speakers and just use headphones....or a stereo but would need an AUX input?

I'm sort of more leaning towards the G1 as judging by the comments I could maybe use it as an addition to my decks when I'm playing back home. 

I'll try and find some more demonstrations of each one and decide.

Scott :)

• Like 1

If you want to be able to play along with CD's or the radio you could easily get away with plugging it into the AUX input of a home stereo or DJ setup, but you'd need a small mixer to hear the music from the CD at the same time as the keyboard.

Since you're into DJ stuff I assume you're familiar with basic mixers.

Here's a couple more suggestions for doing this on the cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009XH4HU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1KDHSLSAEN892&coliid=I2W6RGXW57LAR6

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-502-XENYX502-5-Channel-Mixer/dp/B000J5UEGQ/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407747182&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=behriger+502

http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407746660&sr=8-1&keywords=mini+amp

http://www.amazon.com/Micca-MB42X-Bookshelf-Speakers-Tweeter/dp/B00E7H8GG2/ref=pd_sim_e_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=18Z61QP7QV6HHDSD7P97

Either use the mini mixer with your existing setup or get a cheap amp/speaker combo like the ones I listed here.

Add the appropriate cables and adapters and you're good to go for around $100-$140.

Gary

• Like 1

If you want to be able to play along with CD's or the radio you could easily get away with plugging it into the AUX input of a home stereo or DJ setup, but you'd need a small mixer to hear the music from the CD at the same time as the keyboard.

Since you're into DJ stuff I assume you're familiar with basic mixers.

Here's a couple more suggestions for doing this on the cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009XH4HU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1KDHSLSAEN892&coliid=I2W6RGXW57LAR6

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-502-XENYX502-5-Channel-Mixer/dp/B000J5UEGQ/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407747182&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=behriger+502

http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407746660&sr=8-1&keywords=mini+amp

http://www.amazon.com/Micca-MB42X-Bookshelf-Speakers-Tweeter/dp/B00E7H8GG2/ref=pd_sim_e_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=18Z61QP7QV6HHDSD7P97

Either use the mini mixer with your existing setup or get a cheap amp/speaker combo like the ones I listed here.

Add the appropriate cables and adapters and you're good to go for around $100-$140.

Gary

Gary,

Thanks I'll have a look but the problem I've got is getting the stuff delivered to the island im on I'll try the shop see if they will order it in.

Scott

Hello Scottie Dog and welcome to the forum!  I read your post a few days ago and I can't get it out of my mind. I don't think you'll be happy with either of these boards and here's my 2 cents worth.

1. I have the P1 and love it but I think you would definitely like the Privia Px -5S. I would sell my P1 for one of these if I could stand being without a board for a few days. The P1 is alot of board for someone just starting out.

2. The Privia PX-5S is a full 88 key keybed. Would be ideal for lessons and everyone seems to love the pianos. Its also like a Xw-P1 on steroids. Watch this beast of a board on Youtube.

3. I can't believe no one suggested one of the WK 7500 or 7600 series of arranger keyboards. This would also be ideal for you. You could learn some songs and have a backing style playing behind you. You would learn timing and see your skills improve alot playing along with a style. These also have speakers so you really wouldn't need amps or monitors unless you really want to play loud.

4. If I had started out on the P1 I would have quit music years ago.This is a beast of a board for someone just learning. Heck even the people selling you the board couldn't give a demo! The manual for this board is atrocious.Thankfully I started out on various arrangers and worked my way up to the harder boards. This is what i think you should do.

So in conclusion Scottie Dog...... If your one of the guys who has to have the biggest and best get the Privia Px-5S.

....... if you want to really learn how to play music, start out with an arranger like the WK 7600.

.........you have to learn to walk before you can fly. :)

As he mentioned he wanted to purchase one or the other to pass the time in the furthest reaches of Outlandishstan while he completes his contract and the local (only) music shop on the island has these two in stock.

Also I disagree that either of these two boards is "too much" for a beginner.

Even tapping out "Itsy Bitsy Spider" in solo synth mode using some of the presets can be a total head rush. :D

Personally I own a P1 and I think it's the more versatile of the two having the hex layers and drawbar organs and stuff,  But even the G1 can make some spectacular sounds right out of the box with minimal menu diving and button pushing plus the sampling ability is a nice bonus.

Either way, I don't think he'd be getting in over his head with a P1 or G1.  And if he's at all into synthpop and techno then the WK or a CTK would be a HUUUGE disappointment compared to an XW.

As for the PX-5S.  THAT would definitely be overkill for someone starting out who has expressed no real interest in taking formal piano lessons.  Besides, the guy's a DJ by nature and AFAIK the PX-5S can't even produce a decent metronome without jumping thru some serious hoops.  Furthermore, when the guy returns to the UK in a few years he may end up having to abandon the hardware as it would be too expensive to ship back home.

That's my $0.02 ;)

Gary

• Like 1

But don't forget that most arrangers have a synthpop or techno styles. Probably several versions also. As for the Privia PX-5s, I figured if he was going "Whole Hog" he might as well get the best. The PX- 5s really has a lot more to offer than the Xw or G1 at a great price point also.

:ph34r: also he did say that he had sorted out someone to give him lessons. Most teachers prefer 88 keys to 61 for students ,but they generally want a real piano too :lol:

P. S. It would be awful hard to leave my P1  behind if I had to move from Outlandishstan. I would have to buy another :D 

Still, I think he's pretty much limited to what the local music store has in stock.  Like he said, even the store staff is not competent enough in keyboards to properly demo them for him.

I hope they at least have sense enough to hit the demo button to play the built in demo songs.

Also, besides lacking any sort of built in accompaniment or step sequencer the PX-5S is double the price of the XWs.

The WK-7500 sells around the same price but I still think the XW-P1 is the best value for the buck in that price range.

Gary

And if he REALLY wanted to go "whole hog,"  I'd be telling him to buy a Korg Kronos X 88 :D :D :D

I just realized something. By me saying the P1 would be too hard for Scottie Dog or you saying the Px 5s would be to hard for him, we both are kinda wrong. The P1 ,G1 and even the Ps-5s  have virtually identical operating systems. I mean even the knobs and buttons are almost identical. There would not be much differences in the way all three of these boards work.  

I guess it really comes down to scotty dogs technical abilitys and tastes

It really does boil down to whether or not he plans to become a piano player or a synth player.  While not mutually exclusive, the two involve some widely differing skillsets.

With Solo Synth Mode on the XWs one finger scale runs can burn your soul, but to truly master expression on the PX-5S you gotta bulk up on a whole lotta music theory and practice and run Hanon's finger exercises until your hands bleed :)

Likewise, with the XW's Step sequencer and arpeggiator and phrase sequencer you can sound like a 5 piece ensemble while with the PX-5S basic sequencing you really gotta work at it to produce anything that sounds remotely orchestral.

First and foremost the PX-5S is still a piano player's instrument.

The XW-P1 and G1 are way more comfortable at a techno rave :D :D :D

Gary

• Like 1

Guys thanks again for taking the time to answer and help me out....

I haven't managed to get back to the shop as I've been finishing late so not sure if they even have a PX-5S. I'm still draw towards the XW-G1 although I do hope with some practice I will be able to knock out a few tunes. Also there seems to be limited help and tutorial videos for this so I'm inclined to go with a P1 just because there seems to be more help out there using it.

oh and by the way no the women at the shop didn't know were the demo buttons were.....I did ask!!

Hopefully I'll get chance to visit tomorrow.......

• Like 1

Managed to drop into the shop for a visit tonight but the upstairs was closed so I couldn't have another look at the WX or for speakers. I took a local lad with me who play guitars and during our discussion's it came to light that most of the guitars are fake??

I'm not sure if this extends to the keyboards can anyone advise how I could tell I'm even more confused now??!!!!! :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:  

Hi again Scottydog. You can learn plenty by watching Mike Martin's video tutorials on Youtube. Although there are a few more XWP1 tutorials than XW-G1, the functions are similar and by studying all our posts in this forum including faqs compiled by Happyrat, you might never need to look at the manual. And I can carry the XW and fit it anywhere. It's so lightweight (13 pounds I think) can carry it with one arm.

The PX-5s also very lightweight compared to all other true piano-weighted keyboards is also over a foot longer than the XW, something to consider if you have a small space although even my PX-350 with built-in sound system and stereo speakers is remarkably easy to carry around.

I also agree about the need for the weighted keys. If you are serious about learning piano technique, the PX5s would be real nice, excellent piano actions on these newer Casios and you will werlcome the 88 keys for classical or jazz reperttoire. If you aren't sure and are more interested in sound/music creation the XW-P1 or G1 either will be outrageous.

• Like 1

Scottie Dog >>>  First of all, download the manual for the XW and scan thru it before you buy.

http://support.casio.com/pdf/008/Web_XWP1-E-1B.pdf

http://support.casio.com/en/manual/008/XWG1_1B_EN.pdf

Secondly press the Setting and Write buttons simultaneously to enter Demo Mode.  I think there's like 4 or 5 Demo Songs built in.  Directions are on screen how to navigate the songs.  Refer to page E-17 in both manuals on how to navigate the Demos.

Lastly, while it's easy enough to counterfeit an expensive guitar ( a couple of blocks of wood, some pickups and some strings) it's pretty much bloody impossible to fake a keyboard.

But then again if it's a dodgy shop they might possibly be selling off a refurb or a used or return unit as new.  Just make sure before you take delivery that every button and key is functional and look at the bottom of the unit for scratches to see if it's been used.

Even if it was only a store demo unit with full warranty they should still offer a discount on an open box unit.

Gary

• Like 1

Guys thanks again for taking the time to answer and help me out....

I haven't managed to get back to the shop as I've been finishing late so not sure if they even have a PX-5S. I'm still draw towards the XW-G1 although I do hope with some practice I will be able to knock out a few tunes. Also there seems to be limited help and tutorial videos for this so I'm inclined to go with a P1 just because there seems to be more help out there using it.

oh and by the way no the women at the shop didn't know were the demo buttons were.....I did ask!!

Hopefully I'll get chance to visit tomorrow.......

Hello Scottie,

Awhile back i uploaded a few video's to youtube that you might want to look at.

The link below is the post i made along with the links to the video's.

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/5888-xw-online-clinic-tuesday-june-17th/?p=16761

Larry