Using Garageband with Casio Privia PX-150

Thank you,Joe! Someone mentioned that I might need a cable to be able to record audio from the keyboard to the iPad, such as a Hosa CMS-110 Stereo Interconnect 3.5mm TRS to 1/4" TRS, since there are no audio out/in ports on the PX-150. Also, I've seen both an Apple camera connection kit that plugs directly into the ipad with the lightning connector that has a USB port, but I've also seen an "adapter" that has a lightning connection on one end, and a USB port on the other. Would either work?

I'm pretty sure either USB - Lightning connector would work. I have the short cable version.

Hmmm. To record audio from the 150 is tricky. I know of one device but it doesn't have USB, just MIDI. You could use it for just the audio part. But I'm guessing there are more appropriate options out there for you.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StudioConLt

Thank you! I'm rather new to the world of MIDI so I'm trying to intuit what my actual needs are and how that translates to how each piece of technology works to complement the other. I honestly don't know if I even need to record audio :) What I do know is that I want to be able to use the keyboard to input the various tracks in Garageband. Would I just need the USB Lightning connector and the USB cable that you first mentioned to do that?

Perfect! Thank you so much for your patience, and taking the time to answer my questions. 1 fruitless trip to radio shack, 4 fruitless calls to Casio, 1 fruitless trip to the Apple store, several fruitless forum-scouring expeditions, 2 quasi helpful youtube videos that at least pointed me in the right direction, 1 quasi helpful email dialogue with a keyboard rep have yielded a rather complicated and frustrating journey. :) Your assistance here has been the most clear, and the most helpful. THANK YOU!!! Have yourself a fabulous day!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! It is me again :)

My problem: I'm fairly certain I'm probably missing something very obvious, but after hooking up the USB cable via the connector to the iPad, turning off the local control on the piano, and assuming that I don't have to assign a send channel as the default is channel 1, I still can't manipulate the "software instruments" in GarageBand. I'm assuming that I should be able to hear the instruments through the iPad when I'm playing the keyboard as the PX-150 is turned off. I tried reading casio's online midi implementation manual, but it's Greek to me, and I think (without being able to interpret much of it :)) that it's far more advanced than what I need. However, the manual that comes with the keyboard seems to be missing something pertinent, or I'm just not connecting the right dots. I should also mention that the USB lightning connector is not a "certified" brand. I've considered purchasing an apple one, but thought I'd check to see if there is a simple solution that I'm missing before making that purchase. 

My question:  Would someone kindly list in simple language the steps I need to follow to hook up the PX-150 to my iPad in order to use it as a controller with Garageband? Are there other settings I need to adjust, either on the PX-150 or in GarageBand, and how do I do that?

Thank you again for your time in assisting a Midi neophyte!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

i just got a PX150 and wanted to know if it works with my macbook pro and garageband.I ve plug both via usb ,the mac reconnize the keyboard but i still got the sound from the keyboard and not from built in sound of garageband...Any Help? Thank you

Hi,

i just got a PX150 and wanted to know if it works with my macbook pro and garageband.I ve plug both via usb ,the mac reconnize the keyboard but i still got the sound from the keyboard and not from built in sound of garageband...Any Help? Thank you

Hello. Can you please explain and more detail exactly what you are trying to do?  The more specific you can be the better we can help you get sorted out! Thanks..

• 2 years later...
On 26 August 2014 at 8:24 PM, songbird1471 said:

My problem: I'm fairly certain I'm probably missing something very obvious, but after hooking up the USB cable via the connector to the iPad, turning off the local control on the piano, and assuming that I don't have to assign a send channel as the default is channel 1, I still can't manipulate the "software instruments" in GarageBand. I'm assuming that I should be able to hear the instruments through the iPad when I'm playing the keyboard as the PX-150 is turned off. I tried reading casio's online midi implementation manual, but it's Greek to me, and I think (without being able to interpret much of it :)) that it's far more advanced than what I need. However, the manual that comes with the keyboard seems to be missing something pertinent, or I'm just not connecting the right dots. I should also mention that the USB lightning connector is not a "certified" brand. I've considered purchasing an apple one, but thought I'd check to see if there is a simple solution that I'm missing before making that purchase. 

My question:  Would someone kindly list in simple language the steps I need to follow to hook up the PX-150 to my iPad in order to use it as a controller with Garageband? Are there other settings I need to adjust, either on the PX-150 or in GarageBand, and how do I do that?

On 27 August 2014 at 4:53 AM, songbird1471 said:

Never mind!  I switched USB connectors and it works fine!

Hi songbird1471,

Sorry to gravedig this thread, but I've been looking all over for answers to the same question. I've got the right cables, though the camera connector kit isn't an official Apple one, and the iPad and piano still won't talk to each other.

I'm trying to connect an iPad 2 to a Casio Privia PX-150, with no joy. I'm trying to use the piano as a midi controller in Korg Module Le, but when I connect the cords I get either no response or an accessory not supported message.

Using the MIDI Wrench diagnostic app shows there is no MIDI input. What did you change to make it work for you? Anyone else have any ideas?

Many thanks!

On 26 August 2014 at 8:24 PM, songbird1471 said:

On 27 August 2014 at 4:53 AM, songbird1471 said:

Never mind!  I switched USB connectors and it works fine!

Hi songbird1471,

Sorry to gravedig this thread, but I've been looking all over for answers to the same question. I've got the right cables, though the camera connector kit isn't an official Apple one, and the iPad and piano still won't talk to each other.

I'm trying to connect an iPad 2 to a Casio Privia PX-150, with no joy. I'm trying to use the piano as a midi controller in Korg Module Le, but when I connect the cords I get either no response or an accessory not supported message.

Using the MIDI Wrench diagnostic app shows there is no MIDI input. What did you change to make it work for you? Anyone else have any ideas?

Many thanks

Thanks Joe. I've since shelled out £40 on a Yamaha Bluetooth midi connector, but the iPad 2 won't even see it when I try to connect to it. My phone can see it, but won't pair.

I don't know what to think about this any more. I suppose the iPad 2 is the problem...