Video Files on Forum ×

MIDI Driver Software Absent

cobain

I have had my casio PX-330 for a few years and only have one problem with it, which is my fault...a fried output.

I've never used it for MIDI purposes but recently I've been progressing in songwriting and have been getting into production, so I need to start using it for MIDI. I have a program called Studio One by PreSonus. I got my computer to recognize my device and the keyboard is essentially "hooked up". However, there seems to be no outputting of the midi information that I'm producing. I don't know much about production so my vocabulary is limited...but basically in studio one I can open up this thing called a MIDI monitor, and when I press the notes it registers in the program. BUT THE PROBLEM is that when I check a box labeled "signals received" and commence to pressing notes, there is absolutely nothing going on. The computer is aware of me sending a signal, but nothing seems to be receiving the signal.

I am aware that this may be a problem with the program and not the keyboard, but there is one thing that makes me believe that it could be the keyboard.

According to the instruction manual, once the keyboard is plugged into a computer for the first time, it should automatically install its own driver software. It gives steps on how to hook up your keyboard for the first time...but being an impatient teenager, I didn't take out the manual and evidently followed the progression of steps incorrectly. I suppose this caused the driver software installation to get lost or forgone. I know the driver is not installed because a little window comes up on the bottom right corner of my screen saying, "Your PC does not recognize this device because its driver software is not installed"...or something to that effect.

I have checked online for a driver but all there seem to be are updates for drivers which must have been previously faulty...and the one for the PX-330 is not there. Therefor I am without a driver software. I was wondering if there is anything I could do.

Thanks so much--I know this entry is lengthy but I tried to fill in as many details as I could.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

My operating system is Windows XP Professional (the copyright says 2007 but I think the OS is from earlier than that)

I am profoundly inexperienced with recording equipment.

I have another keyboard, one of those MIDI-specific 25-key ones, and I am going to try to make it work with Studio One, but it is at a friend's house...and that friend likes to keep his phone off...so for now I am stuck trying to figure out the PX-330. If the other keyboard works I will post a comment about it under my own entry.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

The PX-330 is plug and play class compliant USB MIDI.  When you connect the keyboard via USB, Windows automatically installs the keyboard as a Casio USB MIDI device.  Perhaps something went wrong with this process.  If it did, it's purely a Windows issue.   

I would start by checking Studio one.  Go to the midi devices setup section and look for new midi devices.  Perhaps you'll have to add it. Casio USB should show up in there somewhere if the driver is installed correctly.  I would also download MIDI-OX for these inevitable midi diagnostic issues.  If it doesn't show Casio USB in its midi device list then it's definitely the driver.  

Do you have service paclk 3 for Windows XP installed.? This updated the driver packages for USB devices. I had much trouble with many devices connected to USB ports until I updated. Try uninstalling any usb drivers that show up in device manager, reboot and let Windows re-install these drivers. If you tried to install the Casio usb driver, uninstall that too, and re-install it after you re-install the Windows drivers for usb. Knowing Windows as I do, guaranteed its not the keyboard.

Without checking, I think Casio provides more than one version of their driver. I seem to remember I had to find a working Casio driver for XP by finding it on Casio Europe or Japan, but I don't remember. I did have trouble and had to futz with it before it worked. And the same driver works with the XW-P1 and PX-350.

Read this, it might help. I don't know if this driver is available from the person who posted this, but installing using his procedure might be what you need, with your existing Casio driver. Repeating myself sorry, but this again I think is problematic due to Windows XP which probably has trouble recognizing the code written for the newer hi-speed midi USB standard Casio uses. Probably more than you want to know!

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-hardware/winxp-doesnt-recognize-casio-piano-px-130-through/1d394262-7039-4a1d-b0bb-9ec2062b21e3