where is the 1.13 update

User 29303
Go to solution Solved by dlm,

where is the update 1.13 with the motto we make it even better .." ..mono synth...2 new effects.."and sample play from usb stick assigned to the keyboard,,oh and yes recorded waves got names now and

the drum section does no longer be fixed to zone 1',,,,,and yes i will also buy a xw and a casio px6s in the. future but for mow let us bring the px5s to the extreme.."

oh yes i have a dream .....

• Like 1

If we don't push it won't happen!

Here's my list

1. To be able to turn off midi reception for each individual zone

2. In a zone to be able to match the midi receive channel to the zone's selected transmit channel

3. Mono mode.. Mono mode.. MONO MODE

4. To designate a midi cc to control DCF/DCA LFO frequency.. Vib doesn't touch the amp or filter LFO

5. Improved Brass section sample fidelity and sample mapping.. If needed dump the stereo brass to gain the rom space!

6. Can we have some reasonable electric guitar samples please? Ie funk guitar and a distorted lead that doesn't sound crappy!

7. Move transpose to a top level system menu entry. Really!

8. Add a proper compressor defeat/ bypass menu item

9. Enable midi controller to control a panel knob or slider... Yes seriously! We've all seen The Morph.. How about trumping it on the PX5? You could then dynamically assign an external midi controller pedal to drive multiple px5s controls.. In fact anything you can currently only control from the panel knobs/sliders....

10. Yes designate a midi cc for Master Volume

Yes we know you can do a huge amount with hex layers and all the associated synthesis.. But there is a limit to it... You cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, so ultimately we are limited by the sample set the PX5s contains.. In the areas of brass and electric guitars it falls well short of where it should be in today's market. I know, I have spent many hours trying to match the brass section sounds available on my 10+ year old Roland RD700SX.. Sounds that I don't consider to be that great, but good enough to gig with.. But even after some very careful hex synthesis (adding the missing harmonics etc) the PX5s is second. Roland are known for good brass my humble Juno Di is brilliant.. But even so it is the sheer lack of mapped samples across the keyboard and poor sample fidelity on the meat and two veg brass section sets that is really less than acceptable.. Same too for electric guitars.. Yes I have taken Roland's COSM screaming Gtr to pieces and spent hours trying to rebuild it in a hex. Here there are two things missing.. One is the quality of the amp sim/distortion DSP.. The other is the sample mapping of the lead guitar sets. I might add that Roland make some very lame samples passable by using an electric piano sample set as the main sound body of the COSM guitar.. It works because of the quality of the amp/distortion simulation. Perhaps the most important thing here is that to simulate an authentic sound you need the attack portion of the real thing. But if one sample is mapped over too many keys you get a rubbish attack at the extremes.. This problem affects both electric guitar and brass on the PX5s.

I've seen arguments suggesting Casio won't put mono mode in the next update because they want to sell their synths. If we pair back to the major selling points of the PX5s; 1. It's light weight, 2. It's quality keybed, 3. It's quality piano and electric piano sounds, 4. It's price.

You can see that weight is right up there. So why would we want to carry extra keyboards to cover such a minor change? Same goes for the controller pedal input. Same goes for having good enough samples...

The Px5s is about the pianists dream of traveling light... Don't break it please.

• Like 1

I'm not waiting for an update.  I bought the PX-5S because it does way more than my previous 88 key digital piano at half the price.  It is very light, has excellent feel and action, and has fantastic piano, rhodes, wurlitzer, and clavinet sounds.  It is the perfect keyboard for me and I got it for $899 CDN - I'm still blown away by that.  It does so much more than I'd ever need.

• Like 3

I think Casio did an amazing job delivering EVERTHYTHING the PX-5S can do,,, and all  for just under 1000 USD. I don't buy a keyboard based on what I "think" it may be able to do someday, I get it for what it can do now. Hector has some good stuff on his lists, but it really reads like a wish list for a PX-7S and not a firmware update.  :)  

• Like 1

The PX-5S has quite a buzz round it and in todays marketplace the strongest sales promotion comes from happy customers telling their friends and vibrant forums effectively promoting the product. Looking at the product cycle the 5S probably has quite some life left and anyway too frequent a model replacement can alienate previous buyers. I suspect it would be in Casio's own interest to react positively to what their customers are saying and also improving the product during its life cycle should positively effect sales and garner repeat custom. Obviously releasing a Midi Designer app similar to what happened with the XW is in line with this thinking. The best time to release an upgrade is on the eve of significant Trade Shows as this effectively gives you almost a new product and throws a curve ball at the competition. A number of manufacturers have achieved significant success with this type of strategy.

• Like 1

please ....i understand ,,,the 1000$ Buck ,,,but the KORG  IX300 i got for 30$ has better Guitar Samples in 14MB Sample Rom Mono Mode,....Strange Effect Section.--after touch ...assign Midi Foot controller input----

shoot ,me---but Casio can do it even better if they like--

The PX-5S has quite a buzz round it and in todays marketplace the strongest sales promotion comes from happy customers telling their friends and vibrant forums effectively promoting the product. Looking at the product cycle the 5S probably has quite some life left and anyway too frequent a model replacement can alienate previous buyers. I suspect it would be in Casio's own interest to react positively to what their customers are saying and also improving the product during its life cycle should positively effect sales and garner repeat custom. Obviously releasing a Midi Designer app similar to what happened with the XW is in line with this thinking. The best time to release an upgrade is on the eve of significant Trade Shows as this effectively gives you almost a new product and throws a curve ball at the competition. A number of manufacturers have achieved significant success with this type of strategy.

Well said. Yes, the PX-5S is just a baby in terms of age... and even the XWs are getting some more attention lately..  

• Like 1

I gotta agree with Hector.
Yeah it’s a big list. A great list.
We all know that some of these things could be improved with an update.
But I doubt we'll see a single one added in any future update.
Casio are not listening to the feedback.
This is not what I had expected from a company claiming to be selling a Pro board.
Im currently shopping around for my next K/B. Things on my list are pretty much what we have been asking for here.
Expression Socket,
Mono mode,
Usable Rotary,
Propr midi assignments,
Usable compressor.
And of course MY big ask is Master Volume control.

This is not what I had expected from a company claiming to be selling a Pro board.

Hi Norm. Casio certainly is listening - many of the items in the  PX-5S FW updates are because of user requests. Of course they can't add everything, but you can be sure a lot of thought goes into what actually gets included.

• Like 2

But I doubt we'll see a single one added in any future update.

Seriously?

Seriously?

A dozen hours of video tutorials.  Hundreds of free sounds. The last few have been MAJOR improvements over stock sounds (Strings, Organs, Guitars).  There have already been 3 firmware updates.  A GM of Marketing that is directly involved with users groups.  You say Casio is not listening?  The first two firmware updates in particular are directly related to user feedback.  Name one company that is anywhere close to as engaged with their customers?  Seriously?  I'm truly blown away by your comment.

The reality is this.  There are no bugs with the PX-5S.  It has more features today than when it was released. It has an constantly growing library of sounds that far exceed the sound and quality of the factory presets.  There are nearly monthly online video how-to clinics and other videos and support content. There is a MIDI Designer App for the PX-5S in development too.  We could all write a wish list that goes on for pages that have things we'd like to see in new firmware.  There are other things that we all know aren't physically possible.  Work on adding more things to the PX-5S keeps the R&D team from developing new products.  I'm not saying there will or won't be another firmware update, however no one should ever buy an instrument for something it doesn't do on the day they purchase it.

• Like 11

After reading some of these comments ....... It seems that what Bill Cosby once said is so appropriate: 'I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone." I guess if Casio "isn't listening" , the other manufacturers must have REALLY missed the boat.......... ???????

Personally, I am overwhelmed by what the capabilities of what the XW and Privia Pro PX-5S keyboard CAN do and pushing it's limits........

• Like 3

Wow I though people understood what they bought and knew how and what to get out from it but some keyboardist are like princesses wanting more and more  its like asking a fairy what only a jinn can give but at its worst you're asking black magic from a witch bad things come from that.

Best is to go for the big things in the higher price range whom got it all they called "Workstations" this Stage piano does amazing things you can't see it up close ,

distance is needed to hear it clearly.......you hear it.

• Like 1

well  the are lot of wishes we an say are made for an future  PX.6 but some are very normaly to aks...please who can we use a Stage Piano with Songs saved as take 00 take 01----i take a Bear but 

i want to save my Songs with a name ...

Mono mode why not `? .....adding a Synth  Section like the one in the PX5S without a MonoMode is like a Porsche without a Wheel----

and..yes...Users tend to ask for little Updates and this is fine,..because Producers learn what Users need...

Casio did a great job with the Px5s. I have also a wish list, however I'm very happy with my purchase. A stage piano cannot and shouldn't provide all the features of a workstation. This year I bought also a korg arranger because I wanted arrangements to play with my px5s. Althought korg keyboards have nice sounds, the support provided is really bad. The korg forum is useless and no update have been released for my arranger in the last three year !!! When I come back from work, I really want to read the posts in this forum. I'm overwhelmed by the amount of support provided. Mike Martin, Scott, Bradz and really all the community in this forum are providing superb support for px5s users. All the people in this forum share a great passion for this lovely keyboard. I'am not a professional musician but a signal processing engineer and I can tell to all the people that are complaining that the px5s is a nice piece of electronics. It is only the beginning, Casio will do better in the next product !! I wanted also to thank you Casio to make cheaper keyboards because of Casio I was able to play music when I was student. Please do not complain about the px5s but help us to make a better keyboard.

• Like 3

A lot of hard working musicians in fact want a single keyboard that does as much as possible and choose a stage piano because of the number of weighted keys and its light weight. For many that is currently the PX-5S. Other manufacturers will be watching this and if the numbers are right will want a share of this (new?) segment. Casio have the hardware and are seeing traction through interacting with their customers more than is usual for a Japanese company. Bringing new product to market is very expensive so it makes financial sense to stretch what you have if the potential is there. Given the depth of the engine in the PX-5S incremental improvement is one way to differentiate and revitalise the product, win customers and welcome to the new world. Its not about wish lists if it makes sense to the marketing department.

• Like 1

• Solution

One day, I bought a new pickup.

It had cloth seats, a stick shift and a cassette player included. After driving it a little, I became disappointed with the vehicle because I wanted leather seats, automatic transmission, and a cd player. I called the dealer because I know he easily could have upgraded the seats and radio...and frankly , he should have done it for free because I asked! But, ya know, he and his dealership wouldn't listen! (I guess I expected more from a dealer who advertised his vehicles as top of the line, but at a great price) Now I know I couldn't switch to automatic transmission, but I looked and looked for alternate solutions until I finally gave up. I have been bashing that dealer every day since...

Maybe the next year's model truck will come standard with all the options I should have waited for the first time.

I guess I'll look elsewhere...

;)

• Like 3

One of the most profitable companies in the world significantly upgrades its products on a regular basis for free across a number of generations of models. Its sales have increased at a rate others dream of. They view this as looking after and growing their customer base who will spend more money with them in future years and it creates huge interest around their products. No manufacturer gives hardware away but software is different.

Years ago ,,WERSI came out with an Grand Piano  CPF 1 ...this peace of a Dream i own it was using a Virtual System and Samples programmed by the Wersi Engineers,...

i can say, this was the best  Software and Hardware ever......but they stopped developing this fantastic system and after few years Wersi was Legend,,,,i why ``? 

because the holder of the Company was ignorant, and did not understand the potential of the Invention  they made.....still today if i play my CPF i wonder how they did there is no 

sample loop ,,,the sustain is endless if you like the effect section was amazing and yes they select it buy pressing a black or white key,,

If you you look inside you find about 8 DSP and a lot of chips manufactured for WERSI ....If this company only had a Service and Support like Casio,,,,

so it is not always having an new Synth every time things a changing but having a Synth you like you love and you play for years.....

This thread seems to have drawn some pretty emotive comments on what was supposed to be an objective discussion on how the PX5s might be improved.

Not surprising given how 'open loop' forum communication is. None of us has access to background associated with the points people have made. So we guess. Guessing for humans means filling the gaps with our own projected feelings and expectations. When you buy a product you make an emotional commitment because you are associating your Self with it. This grows because when you use your piano on stage or wherever, with luck, it becomes your trusted friend. Of course people don't want to hear negatives about their emotional investment! Similarly nor do Casio employees.  

Because I think the PX5s is worth it, I will endeavour to fill in the background (Where I'm coming from and why I'm making the points I have).

I bought the PX5s after 9 months of hands-on market research. I wanted to replace my trusty old RD700SX as the central controller of my rig, reduce the number of keyboards from 3 to 2 and cut down the weight.  

I'd downloaded read all the manuals, made trips to London to try out all the competitors (Kawai mp6, Yamaha Cp4, Kurzweil Artis, Nord Stage 2 HA88, Roland RD700NX, Korg Krome).

My first choice was the Stage 2 HA88, this turned out to be a big mistake. Having bought it and tried to live with it for a month I gave up. It really is a dysfunctional machine. Nord are on software rev 1.72 and after 3 years it still doesn't work properly. The keybed action is average, the sample playback system is worthy of a mid 80's keyboard and the organ simulation isn't nearly as good as on my Electro 3, nor are the effects. Nord's customer service is well.. none!

I'd originally discounted the PX5s after a less than satisfactory demo in Denmark St London. The display model was on a lousy stand, the headphones I was given were poor and I found the interface quite non-intuitive after years with Roland and Nord.

After my experience with the Stage I went back over everything that was out there and concluded that I should give the PX5s another go. Nothing else on the market came close.

So I bought a PX5s and immediately it was the right choice. I was out there gigging with it after two days. I didn't need to fiddle with the piano sounds at all, they were great straight out of the box (A massive achievement that is so understated!). The action is great, as for the interface, it is quirky but logical so you get used to it.

To put it as simply as I can the PX5s is a great keyboard. In terms of significance it's up there with the Dx7, the Prophet 5, the Mini Moog, the Emulator 2 and the Akai S900. It is a mould-breaker, it has opened the door to a set of possibilities that didn't really exist before. Both Roland and Nord have nibbled at the idea of light weight keyboards, I think the Juno Di and the Electro 3 are both good in their own way, but limited. The Px5s goes much further, in that it is a full blown multi timbral synthesiser and a great piano/electric piano/clav with a great piano action, in an easy to carry package.

It does exactly what I need it to and with a deal of programming and some lateral thinking, it has shown itself to be more than able to take over from the RD700SX.

Casio have done a good job, but the wave (pun intended!) of change that the PX5s has swept in makes it inevitable that some issues and applications could not be predicted.  

My comments were meant wholly as an objective critique of what could be better within the constraints of what I know can be achieved. (I worked as a software engineer on embedded, real time control systems for 20years, including 10years at Lockheed Martin). BTW Mike… On a system that is as complex as the PX5s, it is a brave man that sticks his neck out and says there are no bugs!!

Agreed, probably improving the sample library is a bit of a long shot. The remaining improvements I mentioned are not.

Does it matter if Casio never makes another firmware update for the PX5s.. No it doesn't.

Could the PX5s be improved, yes it could.

QED

• Like 1

give em hell, Mike... i've got all kinds of keyboards and electronics with MAYBE ONE update and hardly any support from the company directly.  Mike's inputs and value/price point are why I bought the PX and XW in the first place.  Like I tell people all the time... you want all these features??? then start up your own company, engineer the products and manufacture your own!  all for a reasonable price.  (insert whiney smiley face here)

• Like 1

I ordered my Casio PX -5S right after Namm.  And I have said this in another posts, in my almost 40 years with synthesizers and keyboards this is one of the most , Outstanding sounding playing keyboards I have ever owned.. It really has a place of its own in the keyboard synthesizer world ! And I truly think the support with new sounds and updates have just been , Amazing!    I have played many Casio instruments for many years and they have always inspired, Were easy to use and just a whole Lotta fun! But can there be improvements, There can be improvements on just about everything we own. But I think Mike and the whole Casio team has gone far beyond many other companys, trying to make the customer, artist happy !! I do respect your views and what you ask for.  But for me,, Happy happy happy happy ! Thank you Mike and to everyone at Casio forgiving us just one killer synthesizer, keyboard..  PX-5S.  I look forward to the new editor and more of those killer sounds that you make, Wow-- For free !!!    And any updates you do, Will make what's already great ever ,, Greater. Kind regards.