Video Files on Forum ×

Gagging on WK 7600

If I am understanding you correctly, I believe this might be what you are experiencing.

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/5921-wk-7600-layers/#entry18063

If you want to change instruments while playing and go back to a registration setup that you had before changing an instrument, I find you have to press the registration button to get back to that original setup.   Merely going back to the instrument you switched from does not bring you back to that same registration setup.  The splits and layering must be set in the order that were saved it appears.  

The WK/CTK's 7000's are not the friendliest for performing with lots of layering and splits.

Sometimes I will use up to 2 or more registration setups to switch voicing and layering within the same song.   

Luckily the auto accompaniment stays on beat.if playing solo.

• Like 1

Silvano,

I own a WK-7500 and simulated your problem. It works fine on my keyboard, no "gagging" or hick ups. It did not work well when I changed registers on the 2nd or 3rd beat of a measure. It always work well to change on the first best. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

yeh,  ,further to my previous comments about the inability to change voicing ( part 1, 2 and 3 ) on the wk7600 when the layer or split function is employed , I HAVE DISCOVERED THAT EXACTLY WHAT IS REQUIRED IS ALREADY IN THE FUNCTIONS OF THE WK8000 .

Imaging that some nerdy firmware programmer making a new model with a massive performance hic-up that was already working perfectly in an older model. PLEASE CAN EVERYBODY WITH THE WK 70--7600 SERIES PLEASE COMPLAIN TO CASIO THE ASK FOR A PATCH UPDATE

• Like 2

GERIA AND JULIAN, the problem exists and you were able to prove in their instruments!
I like to edit my sounds and blend the layers and that's where I use the registration memory.
Use the keyboard professionally as support with the ROLAND E-50 and I repeat never seen on any keyboard I've had this problems choking the banks of registration.
Old and arrangers ever had this problem never occurred.
What happens in every keyboard until the E-50 is an overflow in the sound if you replace the patch with the hand holding the keyboard chords.
I think if someone does not manifest a CASIO myself will report this problem if possible requesting an UPDATE or a TUTORIAL to remedy this defect system

• Like 1

Yes silvano

I have had older casio keys, Korg, Roland, Technics and on all of them you can change the voicing when in layer or split mode whilst playing a song.

The user registration memory on wk7600 is a good thing, but you have to remember what you have done which is impossible for 16 banks of 6 registration possibilities. I use it just for a set up of voicing, rythms etc.

Incidently when in layer mode on the wk7600 you can set the main voice upper to part 2, and the sub voice to part one and alter the volume on part one to be softer, then on the display the voice is showing part 2 which you can change when playing. The problem with this though is that when you cancel the layer and set another voice which uses part one as its default the softer volume is retained, so you still have to mess about editing, again totally inefficient.

yeh,  ,further to my previous comments about the inability to change voicing ( part 1, 2 and 3 ) on the wk7600 when the layer or split function is employed , I HAVE DISCOVERED THAT EXACTLY WHAT IS REQUIRED IS ALREADY IN THE FUNCTIONS OF THE WK8000 .

Imaging that some nerdy firmware programmer making a new model with a massive performance hic-up that was already working perfectly in an older model. PLEASE CAN EVERYBODY WITH THE WK 70--7600 SERIES PLEASE COMPLAIN TO CASIO THE ASK FOR A PATCH UPDATE

There is no way to update firmware in the CTK-WK7000's. The  ROM chip is flashed, the  keyboard has no way to update the programming. 

Casio is probably aware of the programming glitches but have no way to patch or update the firmware.   We will have to wait until the next generation is released to correct some of these programming bugs.   

The WK7500 to WK7600 updated only a few features and was not a next generation release.            

I have a device called a Patch Commander, it is something I kept from a large midi rig I used to have. Basically it looks like a small calculator but you can send midi messages by using a sequence of numbers for the midi code. It will csehange a complete patch, so here goes.

Because in for example Layer mode on the wk7600, the upper 1 (part one ) voice is using midi channel 1 I will try to send the message to change the tone as per the wk7600 midi set up. If it works then I will  not have to cancel the layer to change the voicing on upper one, I will simply use the device and key the voice bank/tone message in.

I am waiting for a usb to midi interface cable to be delivered, I will advise success or failure asap

Regarding the wk7600 having a flashed chip,  isn't this just like a phone or a tablet where you can get them rooted,  and then put various rom on? there is a lot of re-flashing software for this kind of thing. All we need is the code for the layer/split functions to be as per wk8000?

Further to my "patch commander" report 2nd sept, ( hoping to change layered voicing )  I can now confirm a direct link from external equipment using the usb to midi in out cable interfaces does not work because the wk7600 usb port is not a powered host.  So the only way is to route through a computer which is in my opinion is another weak link for the wk7600.

I would have simply provided a midi in and out 5pin connection AS WELL as the usb, it would make life far simpler to all of us who have got good old vintage keys and controllers.  Far easier for performances and much more tidy.

SO I HAVE 2 THINGS FOR CASIO TO UPGRADE NEXT VERSION WK'S

1 PROVIDE SPLIT AND LAYER FUNCTIONS AS PER E XISTING WK8000

2 PROVIDE 5 PIN MIDI IN OUT THRU CONNECTIONS AS WELL AS USB

Julian

In reference to your previous reply - NO !  The firmware in the CTK/WK keyboards is not like that in phones and tablets that can be rooted by re-flashing in the field.  This requires either flash memory similar to that used in SD memory cards or USB flash drives or an EPROM (Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory) chip.  The CTK/WK keyboards have firmware in straight ROM (Read Only Memory), which is permanently burned at the factory and can not be reprogrammed - PERIOD - ANYWHERE - AT ALL.  The only way to change ROM firmware is physical replacement of the ROM chip with one that contains the new firmware data.  EPROM chips are programmed/erased/reprogrammed by changing the charge states of the various semi-conductor junctions within the chip while ROM chips are programmed by permanently burning some of the junctions electrically.  Once a junction is burned, there is no way to unburn it.  The burned junctions are essentially destroyed electrically during the programming process.

• Like 1

Thanks for your much informed reply,  I had a Peavey DPM-SE synth a few years ago with had eproms and I had it upgrallyded with new board.

Pity about the casio wk7600, but anyways this keyboard is around 320 uk pounds so it wont break the bank when something new comes along, and hopefully I can retain the 000's of .ckf and .ac7 files

Julian

In reference to your previous reply - NO !  The firmware in the CTK/WK keyboards is not like that in phones and tablets that can be rooted by re-flashing in the field.  This requires either flash memory similar to that used in SD memory cards or USB flash drives or an EPROM (Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory) chip.  The CTK/WK keyboards have firmware in straight ROM (Read Only Memory), which is permanently burned at the factory and can not be reprogrammed - PERIOD - ANYWHERE - AT ALL.  The only way to change ROM firmware is physical replacement of the ROM chip with one that contains the new firmware data.  EPROM chips are programmed/erased/reprogrammed by changing the charge states of the various semi-conductor junctions within the chip while ROM chips are programmed by permanently burning some of the junctions electrically.  Once a junction is burned, there is no way to unburn it.  The burned junctions are essentially destroyed electrically during the programming process.

Thank tnicoson,

Why CASIO has no updates for a system of lines younger arrangers?

The XW line has update and its price here in Brazil is not as above that the CASIO WK7600.

Since I bought my ROLAND E-50 had 2 updates to the system.

In the second update VLINK physical button (used for lighting) turned a knob Multifunction including HOLD fingered you could only access through the TOUCH screen.

The CASIO need to hone these small details.

An example would be to drag and drop files directly to the card without relying on waves and especially mp3 own software system.

Working many years with keyboards especially arrangers and always found bugs (found one :ph34r:  in e-50 after stopping manufacturing :( ).

We use the instrument in the limit because we use at work and also give incentives to CASIO.