DSP Effects and the sound of the music.

XW-Addict

Although the Performance patches are nice and a good source as a template, In the beginning however it was a difficult ride because my inexperience both in synthesis , step sequencing and sound designing and most importantly as a starting musician again :).

Learned many things on the forum followed the video tutorial and kept experimenting with the XW-G1 and every step I got familiar with

its inner working. Using the controls , arpeggio, Step and Phrase sequence in addition with performance patch.

The G1 has its own specific sound it kinda sounds bare most synths have PCM tones that sound like being done in the studio with the G1 you have to do it yourself editing the tone to you're piece. The true magic to sounds are always DSP , Equalizing effects rather in DAWS or Synths they always add a little more to tones.

The single DSP the G1 has, I thought it wasn't enough you can't add different effects to each zone or channel for the step sequence however you can assign which channel may use DSP effect. And with that most of you're sound designing starts off at least for me it 

is when I'm not using the solo synth that is because that one takes all. Solo synth is a real "solo" part with the DSP. 

Did allot combinations where I used the Solo synth sole DSP use in a performance patch to hear how far you can go music wise. 

It has its cons and pro's, Cons are if you're not choosing how tones can be manipulated it will sound far out to what you want, Sometimes you gotta keep in mind how the tone will swell or die in layers of filters. 

Pro's are tones can be manipulated in the same sequence of you're piece for example a pan-flanger a nice effect seem like a fine grain detune in the low and higher frequency. I did lots of patching with DSP effects one of my favorite is this one.

https://soundcloud.com/clay-louis-petty/snarlylead-demo-3-with-total

With that I found my way to  open up the G1 with its single DSP in performance mode, It also made me ponder allot about how difficult it was to make it work on my amateur level. Though also why Casio did not add more DSP to this synth or allow way's to trigger controls into tones as a patch gradually those question have been answers on the forum :).

I did allot with a single dsp more on the G1 in whole with what its capable. The only thing for me left is being a better keyboardist to make it sound musically right and good. But I have to say to me the G1 is a bare synth with no glamorous high quality stuff on it but the beauty of that is it made me not lazy to let it sound glamorous and high quality like its a question of good sound patch programming. Now I have also the PX5S which sounds luscious to my ear good use of controls four DSP hello sound heaven. With this last one I got a list with stuff like when I connect G1 and PX5S together through midi or redirect the line-out of the G1 into the PX5 and such etc.  

Last but not least some good sound programming on the XW-G1 by CasioMusicGear.

https://soundcloud.com/casiomusicgear/xw-house-jam

(edited in about pedals)

Pedals are still new to me as an extension to use changing nature of sound its also nice switching and trigger controllers on the G1 a big difference which I should have added in the post earlier. In case of the G1 the part to trigger looper recording changes you're whole perspective chorus lines and interlude, Go figure (tap on the hat) :).    

Good job Casio.   

Good post. I run my XW into a multitrack that has built in effects, so I get another layer. Also FX pedals make for nice accessories (why should guitar players have all the fun!)...   DSP is the "secret sauce" to a lot of sounds.. mainly reverb and delay. One of the big reasons the D-50 sounded so good.. it was one of the first kb to have built-in effects. 

• Like 1

I agree about effects pedals.

It's amazing how much difference a simple Leslie emulation makes on a non traditional synth or PCM piano sound.

A couple of pedals I use and heartily recommend are these two.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NUHOKI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-RM600-Machine-Ultimate-Modeling/dp/B0016MN4I6/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1409447003&sr=1-1&keywords=rm600

So much easier too to just twist a few knobs and stomp on a pedal than fiddle for 20 minutes with deep menu diving. ;)

Gary

• Like 1

Good comments guy's I'm glad you mention this XD, You know sometimes when playing the XW you don't see how much buttons you press and my gosh keyboardist push buttons on they're music occasions I totally overseen my use of the pedals to switch going around hands free sometimes its so common to do :)

Right about outboard effects. Remebering the days before all this, and I've posted elsewhere here-we'd hook up all kinds of guitar and echo effects just to get a new sound, such as ring modulators (listen to Jan Hammer's early electric piano work) phase shifters and of course one of Donald Fagen's favorite effects with his old Fender Rhodes was a phase shifter, got that signature sound with Steely Dan. also wah-wah pedals were very nice, not just for wah-wah effects but to vary the timbre statically. and we'd also mike the leslie horns and put that through other effects with the Hammonds for another layer of mutated sound. or as Frank Zappa said years back, crank up yer guitar, and flange the *** out of it! Or your keyboard......

• Like 1