XW-H Headphones

I managed to get my hands on a pair of XW-H3 headphones, and I am loving them.  I got the gray and red XW-H3's to go with my XW-G1 synth.  I also have the XW-P1 synth.  Now I just need the XW-J1 to finish up the XW series.  :)

Anyway, I am very impressed with the XW-H headphones.  They sound great, and they do a really nice job of isolating outside noise.  They are also very comfortable, and I love the way they fold and twist.  :D

• Like 2

Not sure if I'll be able to continue wearing headphones. I was wearing a pair of cheap sony ones (~ €20) and the headband was making my hair thin. I was going bald because of them. Didn't realise they were the reason until I came across a discussion on another forum randomly. My barber confirmed this happens so I started wearing them with the band hanging over my forehead away from my hair. 2 months later and my hair is back to normal practically. I'm stunned. I wear a motorcycle helmet every day and caps and these never effected it. I guess when the band is too tight to the scalp, it smothers the follicles. I wonder if more padded headphones have the same problem? Anyone know or have their own anecdotes?

Anyway, I don't seem to be able to find these Casio headphone for sale anywhere and reviews are scant. I can't even find a price for them.

Personally I have a head of hair like a homeless person.  The men in my family die in their 90's with a full head of hair :D

The downside is I have to cut it every three weeks.  It grows like a frikken weed. :P

Anyway, my understanding is that male pattern baldness is mainly genetic and short of Rogaine or Hair Plug Surgery there's simply no other way of stopping it.

No offense to your barber but I think he's feeding you a crock about headphones causing baldness.

Likewise stories about wearing hats and helmets are old wives tales as well with no real basis in fact.

http://www.livescience.com/33764-hat-hair-loss-baldness.html

My take on it is if you're losing your hair, then embrace it and go all the way with it.  A lot of women dig shaved heads these days and it sure as hell hasn't hurt Jordan Rudess' career either :)

Gary

Not losing it any more since I started wearing the band over my forhead. It wasn't just my barber. It was visibly noticeable. I don't know about hats but I think a hard plastic band directly in contact with your head can damage your hair. I've seem them talk on audiophile forums about it. Supposedly you can avoid it with certain headphones though I'm not sure what to look for. See this thread for example: 

http://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/2ak2qq/listen_to_the_advice_of_this_subreddit_you_dumb/

About 90% of that thread is bad jokes and hearsay with nothing really being settled by anyone with real facts.

In the thread I posted they talk about "traction alopecia" which is what I assume you're talking about.

The short answer: probably not, says Aman Samrao, a dermatologist at the Harbor-UCLA Medical Center. Samrao studies traction alopecia, one of the mechanisms suggested for how hats might make people lose their hair. Traction alopecia happens when you put a lot of stress on the hair follicle, and the hairline recedes because of that pulling. It happens most frequency in African American women who have worn their hair in tight braids since they were young. But it can happen to anyone who puts continued stress on their follicles, through hair extensions, and other hairstyles. Samrao even documented traction alopecia in a ballerina who wore her hair in a tight bun most of the time.

But hats don’t provide nearly enough tension to cause alopecia, Samrao says. “I don’t see how a hat could cause that, unless you’re wearing it so tightly that it’s pulling your hair.”

What I want to know is what sort of cheap ass headphone headband sits on anybody's head tightly enough and often enough to inflict this syndrome?

In the ballerina's case we are talking about wearing your hair in a bun from sunrise to bedtime.

Personally I'm not going to lose any sleep over whether or not my headphones are making me go bald.  I have far more intense problems to deal with in my day to day life :D :D :D

Gary

BTW, this thread has gone so far off the rails already I doubt even the Man from Krypton could pull it back on track :D :D :D

Perhaps there was some sort of chemical reaction between the plastic of the band and the follicles on your scalp?  Maybe Sony manufactured them with some mutagenic impurity in the plastic that started killing off your hairs?

It's all open to speculation of a thousand possible causes, but hair loss has inspired wild speculation since the days when Moses was wandering the desert and even before that.

At any rate, the solution to your problem might be as simple as switching brands or models of headphones.

Otherwise this pretty much strikes me as a non issue among 99.99999999999999999999999999999999% of the internet or people at large.

Gary

Interesting. That's roughly the price for low-end quality headphones but I expected them to be half that price, just because Casio seem to be able to beat everyone on price while still making quality gear so that makes me think these are a bit better than low-end and might sell for twice that from a different manufacturer. I do like the way they bend and the fact they are metal if that's true.