Video Files on Forum ×

Quick question about knobs and sliders

Hermes

I'm going to purchase a Casio Px5 and I want to be sure of a couple of things.

1) I understand that I can use knobs and sliders to change some midifile parameters as: pan, expresion, volume, and then récord those changes in my sequencer, am I wrong?

2) I'm pianist, and I've received very good opinions regarding the hammer feel of the keys. Can anybody tell me if as pianist I'm going to Feel very good playing this piano? I don't have the chance to check any privia where I Live, so I'll be very grateful to receive more opinions.

Thanks in advance!

1- No, you're not wrong. I assume your sequencer is some sort of DAW, and they all record MIDI cc's, sysex, etc. The PX5s' knobs/sliders/wheels/pedals can send cc#00 - 99, as well as many other commands.

2 - Too much personal preference involved to give a yes or no answer. I love the PX5s' feel - both action and physical texture. My favorite keyboard since the yamaha S-80 for expressive playing, piano or anything else.

Oops!

Thank you so much for your speedy response.

I'd like to have more info regarding the keyboard...

I've got a dear friend, living more than 1.000 thousand kilometers from me, that had the oportunity to play a PX-A100 today in the city where he lives.

Do both keyboards share the same kind of keyboard?

I mean, in the specifications of both pianos the info says: "88 Scaled Hammer Action II Keys (Tri-Sensor) synthetic ebony/ivory Key´s".

Does this mean that both keyboards are the same?
Are the keyboard of PX-5S a little superior?
Let me know!

My friend told me he was happy with the feel of the keys of that PX-A100, so if both keyboards are the same, I'll be buying on monday.

Thanks!

Sorry, I have no experience with the PX-A100. Perhaps a Casio person can answer that for you.

Some things available on the PX5s, that may or may not be on the A100:

Global setting for touch response (soft/normal/hard)

Hammer response (reproduces the delay an AP has from key strike to hammer strike-can be turned off, too)

Velocity sensitivity to the filter and amp (separate settings)

These things help make the PX5s feel and respond like an AP.

Hope this helps.

To expand on what goergtn said....

All of the current generation Privia's including the PX-100A and PX-5s use the same key action.  However, keep in mind that the PX-5s piano sound engine is more in line with the flagship PX-850.  PX-5s has 256 note polyphony vs. 32 note poly on the PX-100A.   PX-5s has damper and string resonance effects.  The PX-5s has note off velocity.   PX-100A does not.