Video Files on Forum ×

Recording tracks on CTK 900...can't record over old recording...help!

Can someone please tell me how to fix this?  When I go to record a track, about 15 seconds into my playing another song starts playing at the same time that was recorded by someone else.  I can't figure out how to record over tracks already recorded on.  The most I've been able to do is layer and get my song recorded along with the other song on the same track.  I just want a clean fresh track to record on.

Here is the factory manual and starting at E-49 describes the various recording modes.  

http://support.casio.com/en/manual/008/CTK900_EN.pdf

From what you describe,  it sounds like you are track recording and then after 15 seconds  what you are hearing are the other tracks starting to play.  

Recording on this keyboard can be complex.   You will need to study the manual to make sure you are in the proper recording mode.  Starting the recording function in the right mode is the key to successful  recording.    

Whole songs are the easiest to record and you can also play along while playing the songs back.   .  

MM

As Vorbis has already stated, it sounds as though you have the CTK-900 set up to do a "Multiple Track Recording" as described on Page 55 of the manual, when in fact, at this stage, you want to set it up to do a "Real-time Recording" as described on Page 50.  Multiple Track Recordings maintain and playback previously recorded data on other tracks as you record new data to the currently selected track.  The Real-time Recording mode should avoid this, but what about the day that you WANT to do a Multiple Track Recording, or what if you still have this problem when trying to do a Real-time Recording (which can happen, occasionally)?  How do you avoid interference from previously recorded data?  In this case, it is best, as you said originally, to start with a clean fresh track - actually - a clean fresh set of tracks - that is, a clean fresh Song Memory location, by deleting any previously recorded song data in the selected Song Memory location - per the section entitled "To delete a song" at the bottom of the right hand column on Page 59.  B U T . . . if the song data in that location is data that you want to keep, you would first need to upload it to your computer's hard drive with the Music Data Management Software described on Page 76.  The CTK-900 provides internal memory locations for five songs.  Beyond that, it is necessary to start uploading and overwriting, so it is a good idea to become familiar with shuffling songs between the computer's hard drive and the keyboard's internal Song Memory.  If you need assistance when you get to that stage, we will be here.

In the meantime -

Best of luck and enjoy !

I dusted off the CTK-900 today.   Here's what I found. 

To simply record a song, hit the Song Memory button and continue to press till the display reads SG0 REC  ( use the arrow keys to up the number to save up to 5 songs - ex. SG3)  

Hit the Start/Stop button and start playing.   

Hit the Stop button and you will get PLS WAIT while the song writes to memory.    As soon as you record a song, the previous song is over written.   Once overwritten it's lost unless you saved the song with Data Manager.  

Press Song Memory button till it display SG0 PLAY to listen to your song.    Or SG(song number) PLAY if saved to a different Song Memory.

This is for simple song recording.  

Step Recording, track recording gets more complex.   Ted has far more experience working  with tracks, step recording etc and extremely helpful in walking you through that challenge.  

TNICOSON  is spot on about using Data Manager save your songs.    Data Manager software moves the songs with drag and drop ease.  The other software that is available for the CTK900 allows you to configure user tones,  build auto accompaniment, set up the draw bar organ,  use sampled sounds and much  more.   

You will need  MIDI DIN-5 cables to USB cable for your PC and Data Manager Ver 3.0   To plug the cables in - Match PC Out to Keyboard IN and Keyboard Out to PC IN.

I'm not sure if Data Manger 6.1 will recognize the CTK-900.    I'm going to try that combination of DM6.1 and the CTK-900 and post the results here.

I've used the CTK-900 for years playing gigs and it's been a reliable excellent keyboard.