Video Files on Forum ×

Is it possible to use an external instrument to trigger the P1?

mike

Hey all. This may be useful to G1 users as well. Since the P1 has many great bass tones, I'm wondering if I can use a bass guitar as a trigger so I can play the bass using the P1 voice. If so, how would I set that up? Thanks for all the insights in these forums!

Actually I used to play a bit of flute in my younger days and I'm sorely tempted to pick up that Akai MIDI woodwind.  Especially since I read in a review that it works with Linux as well.

I might end up ordering myself one next month.

My favorite music store up here in Canada has them for $289.

http://www.axemusic.com/store/product/28440/Akai-EWI-USB-USB-Wind-Instrument-Controller-and-Synthesizer-includes-Garritan-Aria-Player-Software/

Gary ;)

I gave it a little more thought today and thought to myself "What the hell, crippling debt is the cornerstone of Western Civilization," so I went ahead and ordered myself the Akai EWI USB today. :D :D :D

My guys in Alberta didn't have it in stock though, so I ended up ordering from B&H Photo in NYC for about $40 more counting shipping and taxes.

It'll be nice to be able to add breathing overtones and trills and whatnot to my music and to be honest I just don't have the lungs to play a real flute these days so this should be a lot easier.

It should be in by the end of next week if all goes well. ;)

589255.jpg

Gary...

EDIT >>> BTW Chas, no disrespect to Casio but I think that MIDI Sax of theirs has been discontinued for years and I doubt I could even find the missing parts for that broken one on Ebay.

The Akai seems to be a better fit for me and I think the price is attractive enough and it will be more useful than a regular BC-3 Yamaha Brreath controller which has also been discontinued for a few years now.

• Like 1

Well it arrived today.

First the good news. It works under Linux, the software installs and runs under WINE Windows Emulator and it has the intelligence to save the last used settings in the device after it's unplugged and replugged.

Also good news, it works flawlessly with Catia so I can redirect the output to any of my synths or modules.

Now comes the tricky part. There are about 20 adjustable parameters controlling the sensitivity and speed of the breath control, bite control, and fingering as well as 6 different fingering types.

Having been a flautist in my youth I naturally chose flute fingering.

The thing is, sensitivity on this thing ranges from somewhere between "Itsy Bitsy Spider" and totally unplayable.

Furthermore unlike a flute or sax or clarinet, the left thumb does not control the notes G, G# or A but rather the octave in which you are playing. The natural impulse for a flautist is to lift his thumb when he wants to play an A but on this thing it ends up jumping octaves and sounding like an epileptic chicken clear.pngclear.png:D :D :D

I'm going to have to spend some time this weekend studying the fingering charts for this thing and I'm going to have to invest a few days into teasing the fingering and breath control settings so that it responds like something I'm used to playing.

All in all though, I don't regret my purchase at all. It is an intriguing and well built instrument with enormous potential. But just don't buy one expecting it to play like an Armstrong Flute or a Yamaha Saxophone cause you are going to be spending some time in the classroom again learning how to finger this thing properly.

Then again, a perfect indoor project for the upcoming long winter nights ahead and I have to say, the sounds it can produce range from the outrageous to the sublime.

Definitely a keeper and a new tool for the old musical toolbox clear.png;)

Gary clear.png;)

--- " but on this thing it ends up jumping octaves and sounding like an epileptic chicken clear.pngclear.png:D :D :D"

Gary clear.png;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that there was Oh-So too much funny i almost had to reach over and turn up my "Defibrillator"

man-clutching-his-chest.jpg

You just won today's internet Gary.

:lol:

I to am sorry for the thread jack, but i just had too.

Back on Topic now...

Larry

• Like 1

Mike,

Take a look at this vid mike, now i know it's not a " trgger responce" but more of a timming.

You might have seen this ,but remember you can turn on the looper before you play and it will only trigger when you input a sound// keybord/midi input.

I have had my G1 running for hours, and nouthing-- untell i start recording, so time is not a problem.

Katsunori UJIIE

http://youtu.be/tVJZVnfahuw?t=14m50s

Larry

• 4 months later...