Video Files on Forum ×

Song (Setting) Request - M83 "Midnight City"

therecoverytwins

Good day to all!

Just got this white, black, and blue beauty a week ago.  Overwhelmed for sure, but in a great way.  And, although it's been said many, many times, the support for this product is unreal....simply uneal.  It just feels like the momentum has built up so much since I first took a chance on the "limited edition" PX-3 four or so years ago.  I digress.

So, user jimmyjames did a fantastic job with his 3-way split for the Phoenix song '1901'.  Not only is the song really fantastic, it's also seems like a bit of a departure from the classic rock and/or 80's-based tones that are focused on in this forum.  Not to be mistaken, I LOVE both of those "era's", and I've downloaded those tones/settings and am loving playing those songs.  EP's are killing me softly!!  But I'm not seeing a ton of user-generated "modern" stuff.  I think Mike (Martin) alluded to an idea, in one of his videos/clinics, that with the XW synths on the market, this PX-5s can do all kinds of things but not necessarily what the XW can do in terms of creating synth tones (heavily paraphraing, there).

I'm new to synthesis, hex layering, and basically all of the above, but I'm trying to swim to the deep end as fast as possible.  I'm curious if anyone who likes a challenge would want to figure out a stage setting that encompasses the M83 song "Midnight City" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX3k_QDnzHE).  I've tried with minimal success to replicate just ONE of the tones.  I'm just a wee grasshopper.  But similar to learning a cover song, I love to get the tone from elsewhere and then analyze.dissect it and learn from it.

That said, it would be really cool to see some more "modern" stage setting downloads and tones.  Hats off again to jimmyjames for finding those splits for '1901'.  I've had a ton of fun playing along!  And thanks again to everyone for sounds old and new...the support for these Casio products has been a very strong determining factor when it comes to convincing the wife that I need "yet another keyboard"....

• Like 1

Thank you for the shout out!  Seems like ages since I posted '1901'.  Although music was not my career, I was fortunate to be introduced to synths in the 1970's and I have tried to keep up my interest as a hobby since.  I actually learned about synths using one of the original Moog synthesizers while in college.  This allowed me to understand the basic concepts of waveforms, filters, envelopes...etc.  These things still apply and I would spend some time trying to become fluent in these concepts if you haven't already.  There are many great books on the topic...I know Mike Martin recommended one somewhere along the way and he spent some time in at least one of his videos discussing these things.  After you get that down, the mechanics of the PX-5S architecture (and really any other synth) can be much more easily absorbed.

I'm glad you are thinking about using the PX-5S as a tool for covering multiple keyboard parts of specific songs.  Without taking away from those who have posted individual sounds for the PX-5S, I would have hoped to see more all-in-one stage settings that lay out multiple parts across the keyboard for performance purposes but alas, I seem to be an outlier on this.  It think it has great potential for an Average Joe gigging cover band keyboard player in this respect.  There are so many clever ways it can be used to create and control multiple sounds in a live setting.  Nonetheless, while I thought cover band giggers would be a large share of the buyers, there appear to be more home users and solo giggers that basically stick to one-off piano type sounds so I think it has just evolved more in that direction.

To your specific request, I listened to the M83 song. I've heard of the band but never really listened to them...I need to remedy that. The song is a tiger-by-the-tail as it is virtually all synth parts.  You would need more than four zones to cover all of the parts and at least a few of the parts would require concurrent real time manipulation...I bet you could nail it pretty well...if you had two PX-5S's and four hands!  Nonetheless, I think trying to nail a few of the sounds in one stage setting would be a great way for you to learn your way around the instrument.  I think modifying the 1901 stage setting might be a good place to start to do this too as the sawtooth bass sound on the bottom part of the keyboard is similar to a few of the sounds in Midnight City.  Good luck, have fun...and if you create something...please post it!