Quantizing on the CTK6200

nuronerd

I need to quantize a sequenced drum track in the CTK 6200 keyboard and the manual is utterly confusing. It tells me to enter edit mode then press the Qrantize button to enter the quantize screen. I did the 15 times and nothing happens when I follow this procedure which is found on page 89 in the manual. Can anybody help me with this? I have a project that I must finish by Friday and I am stuck in the mud.

Edited for correct info.

Sorry about that, nuronerd.  I totally screwed that up.  I guess that's what I get for posting advice on a keyboard I've had for a day and a half and after 2 hours of sleep the previous night. :o  If you're still with us and it's not too late, try this:

1. Press the Song Sequencer button to enter that mode

2. Press Function + Song Seq. button.  This will show your editing options.  The first one highlighted will be Event Edit, which is what you want, so...

3. Press Enter

4. Press Quantize.  This will take you to where you can select what to quantize

5. Scroll until ALL appears in the heavy brackets

6. Press the Tone button with the corresponding note division you want (1/8, 1/16, etc.)

7. Press Enter.  This will show you the YES/NO option.

8. Press Yes

9. Press Exit

Your track should now be quantized to whichever value you selected.  

Really sorry if my previous advice added to your confusion.   :(  

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

I had the same question about my new WK 6600 and your answer was really helpful!  But one glitch:  step #6 says 

"press the Tone button with the corresponding note division you want...".  

But I couldn't find the Tone button and I was not able to up or down arrow to the quantitize line to be able

to change the note division.  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance...

There is not just a single "TONE" button on the WK-6600.  Look to the immediate right of the display panel and note the section labeled TONE with two rows of six buttons each for a total of 12.  Now note that TONE buttons A, B, C, D and G, H, I, J have note values under them.  You can use buttons C, G, H, I, J to select one of the five acceptable quantize values.  What "waveformer" was saying was: '"Press the TONE button associated with the quantize value you want in order to set that value."  See Step 5 in the right hand column of Page 88 of the WK-6600 manual for details on this.

• Thanks 1

Yes, but it gets a bit intricate, as you have to use the keyboard's Event Editor Copy procedure as described on Page E-88 of the manual.  You will copy your recorded 8 bars and insert the copy at the beginning of bar 9 and again at the beginning of bar 17, and so on, for the desired length of the complete song.  If you recorded your initial 8 bars using the Easy Record method described on Page E-63, then you will select Track-17 for the copy procedure, as the Easy Record procedure records only to Track-17 (the System Track).  Track-17 contains 16 virtual tracks (the A-Tracks) and records all auto-accompaniment data and any right hand performance data associated with it.  When you copy measures in Track-17, you copy the data on all 16 virtual tracks simultaneously.  If you used the "Recording Individual Tracks" procedure on Page E-67 to record to the individual "real" hardware tracks (the B-Tracks), then you will need to select the track(s) that you recorded your initial data to for the Copy procedure.  Unlike Track-17, this procedure copys only one track at a time, so if you recorded to multiple tracks, you will need to perform the Copy procedure individually for each track.  If you have not done so already, you may want to refer to the table in the right hand column on Page E-65 for the overall track layout/function.  In all actuality, this "17 Track" sequencer  is really a 32 track sequencer - 16 virtual " A " Tracks and 16 real " B " Tracks.  You will see this eventually, when you get into the Mixer functions.  It is a 32 Channel mixer - 16 " A " Channels for the 16 virtual " A " Tracks and 16 " B " Channels for the 16 real " B " Tracks.

I hope I have not overwhelmed you with this information, but the Sequencer/Mixer features of the CTK/WK-6XXX/7XXX are much more sophisticated and involved than they would appear at first glance.  The downside is that they carry a much heftier learning curve than they would appear a first glance, but there is an alternative.  The Song Sequencer saves its data to a MIDI file in a Casio proprietary "CMS" format, but it can only be accessed by the keyboard's Song Sequencer.  However, it can be saved to a Standard MIDI File (SMF) on an SD Card (Begins at bottom of left hand column on Page E-103) and ported to a computer based DAW software program for editing, but there is one downside and one risk to this.  The downside is that once the file is converted, it can not be converted back to CMS format.  No software utility was ever written for that.  So, it can no longer be loaded into the Song Sequencer's memory and edited or played from there.  It can only be played from the SD Card by the keyboard's MIDI file player (a sub-function of the Song Sequencer).  The risk is that, per the Standard MIDI Spec, an SMF can only have 16 tracks, but the Song Sequencer's output is, in reality, up to 32 tracks worth of data, so something has to give.  During the conversion process, the real "B" Tracks have priority.  Any "B" Track that has data and is turned ON in the Mixer will block data from the correspondingly numbered "A" Track from being converted.  If this is not taken into account prior to conversion, a surprising and disappointing loss of data will occur.  For this reason, I strongly recommend making a secure backup of the original CMS file before starting the conversion process.  Now, if the downside and risk of doing this are of little or no consequence to you, then you may want to consider this alternate procedure, as it is much more straight forward and easier than the Song Sequencer method.  For some (many?/most?) users, the one way conversion is of no consequence, as they actually prefer SMF's to play back from the SD Card, and some (many?/most?) habitually record only to the "A" Tracks or the "B" Tracks, so the track conversion priority is of no consequence to them.

Best of luck !

• Thanks 1

Ted, 

Thanks for your reply -- I'll try these suggestions ASAP.  Meanwhile can you help with a much simpler problem on the Casio wk 6600?  I am struggling with some basic functions vis a vis recording tracks:  I'm trying to record a track with the metonome audible and then record subsequent tracks (using different internal tones/instruments) with the metronome and the previous track(s) also audible.  

Right now I record the first track with the metronome audible but then when I go to record the next track neither the metronome or the

the previous track is audible.  I'm sure I'm neglecting something very basic here but I can't figure out what it is and the manual is not helpful.

Thanks,

Rochard

Rochard

From the symptoms you describe, I suspect that you are trying to use the EASY RECord method on Page E-63 of the manual to record BOTH your initial track(s) AND your subsequent tracks.  That can not be done.  The EASY RECord method records to the System Track [Track-17 (the virtual "A-Tracks)].  Once performance data is recorded to the System Track (Track-17), any attempt to add data to it results in total erasure of all previously recorded data in it (all 16 virtual A-Tracks).  Adding data (tracks) must be done to Tracks 01-16 [ the "real" tracks (the "B-Tracks)] with the Recording Individual Tracks method beginning on Page E-67, but will require prior review of the information under What you can do with the Song Sequencer on Pages E-65 and E-66, in order to fully understand the process.  Of course, you have the option of recording all performance data to the "real" B-Tracks with the Recording Individual Tracks method, with one exception.  Recording of any performance data which invludes Auto-accompaniment (Rhythms) MUST be recorded to the System Track [Track-17 (the virtual "A-Tracks)]  as this is the ONLY track which will record Auto-accompaniment data.  As long as you retain your song file in the native Casio CMS format the 16 virtual A-Tracks and the 16 real B-tracks will remain in total isolation of one another, but if you intend to convert your song file to SMF format, you must pay attention to which tracks are used, as B-Track data will block corresponding A-Track extraction during the CMS-to-SMF conversion process.  Track assignment of Auto-accompaniment performance data to the 16 virtual "A-Tracks" {System Track 17) is shown in the table in the right hand column of Page E-65.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ted,

Well after a long break for Thanks Giving I'm back at it and encountering new problems!

It seems I have NOT been in Easy Record but HAVE been using the song sequencer.  So here's a new problem:

I have been trying to learn how to delete individual tracks and have found helpful info in the manual.  Just for practice, I

am trying to delete each one of 4 recorded tracks that I recorded using different internal tones. 

I followed the steps in the manual and deleted the data on each track -- BUT there is still one piano part that occurs when I press the start button.  It plays aurally but does NOT display

on the level meter.  I have no idea where these data are and would like to delete them so I can start fresh in that 

Song Area.  Can you suggest a remedy?

Thanks,

Rochard

Rochard

I suspect that you are hearing some residual data that got recorded to one of the "virtual" tracks in the System Track (real Track 17) via the Easy Record method, at some point in time.  Do a "Track Clear" on the System Track to see if that will get rid of it.  I used to run into that, from time to time, so I finally got into the habit of doing a "Song Clear" on a select song number before recording new data to it.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your reply -- you nailed it!  I cleared it with the "system track" clear.

As I forge onward here's another question:  I am laying down tracks in the song sequencer and as I do so I

want to "practice" playing against the recorded tracks with a new instrument (tone).  So for example, I've recorded

three tracks (1.  hi-hat; 2. snare and bass drum; 3. congas).  Now I'd like to practice against those with a rhythm guitar

tone.  BUT when I change to that guitar tone and press play the snare and bass drum (track 2) gets converted to the

guitar tone.  FYI -- I am setting the cursor to track 4 but I am not pressing "record".  

Any thoughts on how to change to a new tone w/o altering tones in the playback?

Go into the MIXER and ensure that the instruments for Tracks B-01, B-02, and B-03 are set up correctly and do a Panel Record per the instructions beginning at the top of the right hand column of Page E-71 in the manual.  This rewrites the file header and ensures that the track/instrument assignments are properly recorded.  Now, the only way you can "play" that guitar you want to assign to Track B-04 is to "record" to Track B-04.  The only time the keys "play" to a specific track is during the recording process.  When you "play along" with previously recorded data, the keys are actually in "real time play" mode.  In "real time play" mode the keys output only to Track A-01 for the main tone, Track A-02 for the layer tone, and Track A-03 for the split tone, so to audition your guitar tones, without recording, you need to select them as main tones after doing the Panel Record above.  Once you have decided on a particular tone, go back into the MIXER, assign it to Track B-04, do another Panel Record and then record your perormance to Track B-04.  You wil need to follow this procedure for each newly added track.  Also, if you need to adjust track volumes at some point, do a Panel Record after each set of adjustments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Rochard

If you are playing back a song that is still in the Casio proprietary "CMS" file format, and are loading it into, and playing it back in the Song Sequencer, you can use the Part ON/OFF parameter in the MIXER to mute tracks.  See the upper half of the left hand column on Page E-71 of the manual.  If you are playing back a Standard MIDI File (SMF), that was saved to the SD Card, then no.  You would have to load that file into a computer based DAW, mute the tracks, and play it back to the WK-6600 from there.  SMF's can not be loaded into or edited with the keyboard's Song Sequencer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a link to a walk-through on a similar topic I did for another user this past August.  It should work for you, as he was looking to change the volume of a particular part (track/channel).  You are looking to turn a particular part OFF.  Both of those items appear on the same MIXER menu page.  In walk-throughs, I always have the user start with the keyboard powered off.  That way, I know its status as it powers up, so I suggest you do the same.  The other user was starting from scratch, where as, you want to edit an existing song file, so you will want to power on and press the Song Sequencer button and select the Song file to be edited.  Once that is done, press the MIXER button and pick-up at that point in the referenced walk-through.  The MIXER comes up displaying the "A" (Upper-1/Upper-2/Lower/Auto-accompaniment) parts in the right hand display pane.  Right arrow over to the correct part that you want to change.  If you want to change a "B" part that you have added, continue to right arrow over to the "B" part grid until you have the correct part selected.  Once you have the correct part selected, refer to the left hand display pane.  The top line of this display allows you to select/change the Tone assigned to this part.  The second line allows you to turn the part ON/OFF.  This is the one you are looking for.  The third line sets the Volume for the part, which is what the other user was looking for.  You select the parameter that you want to change with the UP/DOWN arrow buttons.  Once the parameter is selected, you change its setting with the Plus/Minus (+/-) buttons.  For a complete list of all the items you can adjust with this menu, see the Part Parameters table on Page E-43 of the manual.  Once you have made all the changes that you want for that part, press the Exit button until you have exited all the way out of the Mixer, then do a Panel Record per the instructions starting at the top of the right hand column of Page E-71.  This writes your changes to your song file.  You should be able to do a trial playback while you are still in the Mixer and before doing a Panel Record, but it has been my experience that during the trial playback, the desired changes often get lost, so I adapted the workflow of: go to the Mixer: select the part; make all desired changes to that part; exit from the Mixer; do a Panel Record.  That works the first time - every time.  If I don't care for my changes, I go back into the Mixer, make re-adjustments, or set the changes back to their original values, exit the Mixer, and do another Panel Record.

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/13606-wk-6600-volume-controls/&do=findComment&comment=39807

You have two options for porting Casio proprietary CMS Song files to a PC.  One is the "direct" method on the keyboard itself to the MUSICDAT folder on an SD memory card per the instructions "Saving Digital Keyboard Data to a Memory Card" beginning at the bottom of the left hand column on Page 103 of the manual.  You then physically port the SD Card to an SD Card slot on your PC and use Windows Explorer to copy the CMS file(s) to your chosen storage location on your PC's hard drive.  Personally, I have always found this to be the easiest method.

For the "indirect" method, you will need what is commonly referred to as a "standard USB printer cable" to connect the keyboard to a USB port on your PC.  Your keyboard is "Class Compliant", which means it will work with the generic driver that is already built into Windows, so you should not have to download or install any special driver, but you will need to download and install the Casio Data Manager 6.1 software:

http://support.casio.com/en/support/download.php?cid=008&pid=20

Scroll down to the Data Manager section.  Make sure you select the Data Manager 6.1 software - NOT the Data Manager 5.0 or CTX software, as they will not work with your keyboard.  Data Manager has its own User's Guide, so you will need to download that, as well:

http://support.casio.com/storage/en/support/download_files/en/008/manuals/DM61-E-1A.pdf

The CMS Song file should work 100% in any CTK-6200/6250 or WK-6600 keyboard, and sound exactly like your original performance, or work reasonably well in any CTK/WK-6XXX/7XXX keyboard, or any Casio keyboard that uses the CMS Song file format, as long as that keyboard is equipped with the Tones that you selected in your performance.  If not, it should be reasonably easy to select alternative Tones and save them to the CMS Song file on the target keyboard.  I bring this up, because with the "direct" method mentioned above, you have the option of having the keyboard extract the CMS Song data and convert/save it to a Standard MIDI File (SMF) on the SD Card. This allows your performance to be played back on any SMF compatible keyboard or sound module, but there are some major trade-offs in doing this.  During the conversion process, any Casio high quality native Tones or Drum kits will be replaced with the lower quality limited General MIDI (GM) tone selections or the very limited single GM drum kit.  Also, all effects settings, other than chorus and reverb, will be removed, and even then, the chorus and reverb types (Room, Hall, etc.) may be altered, so the performance will no longer sound like what you originally played - not even on your own keyboard.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for this.  So I have proceeded to save a song to the SD card inserted in the WK 6600.  I downloaded that song which appeared as a CMS file

on my laptop.  My intention here is to be able to send the data to a fellow band member who would then be able to play the song on his computer/system/keyboard.

Meanwhile, I have been unable to open/play the song on my laptop using Internet Explorer or iTunes.   I guess I assumed all the data (including audio/tones) would

be transferred via the card.  Am I way off base here??

The CMS file contains only MIDI data, no audio, no sound, but it is a Casio proprietary MIDI file.  It only plays on CMS compatible Casio keyboards.  It can not be opened on a computer - PC or MAC.  MIDI is not audio.  MIDI data is, basically, just a set of instructions that tell keyboards and sound modules how to make their sounds.  A MIDI file is sort of the electronic equivalent to the slotted paper rolls that go into a player piano.  There is no way those slotted paper rolls can be considered sound, but they certainly tell the piano how to make its sounds.  That file that you sent your friend will only work for him if his keyboard is CMS file compatible, otherwise you need to convert your file to an SMF and send that to him instead, but as I stated above, much of the original tone quality will be lost.  If you want to share your performances, and be assured of retaining most, or all, of the original tone quality, regardless of the keyboard equipment of your recipient, you need to record them as audio files.  While the CTK/WK-7XXX Casio models will record CMS files and convert them to SMF, just like the CTK/WK-6XXX units, they also have the capability of recording directly to Casio proprietary audio files on the SD Card, and porting them to a computer for conversion to standard WAV, MP3, AIFF, etc files.  To do this with your keyboard, you would need to connect its Line Out connections to the Line In connections on your computer with the appropriate cables and adapters, and record your performances directly to your computer's hard drive.  For what you are trying to do, I strongly recommend this.  The cost is minimal - just a few dollars for the audio adapters and cables, and the basic version of the "Audacity" recording software can be downloaded and installed for free.  For a more professional setup, you can connect the keyboard's Line Outs to a USB-Audio interface that, in turn, connects to a USB port on the computer.  The interface usually comes bundled with software that allows you to record CD quality performances.  Currently, only top of the line workstations have the capabilities of syncing and simultaneously recording both audio and MIDI data, like their computer based DAW software counterparts.

Thanks again for this info.   As per your suggestion I attempted to record using the Casio "line out" (using L and R output jacks and converting to a mini jack that I inserted into my "earphone" port (my Dell laptop does not have a separate "audio in" port).  I opened Audacity and clicked the record button, then pressed play on the Casio WK 6600.  The result was that Audacity began recording using what I believe was its microphone function.  It seems to not be recording through the line connection.  Is this an Audacity issue (some setting that I neglected so as to create a line as opposed to a mic recording)?  Or do I need to set the Casio to transmit data as a line recording?

The WK-6600 always transmits audio from its Line Out ports.  There is nothing to set on that.  I suspect that the problem is with the jack on the Dell laptop.  If that is a single purpose earphones output only jack, and the Dell assumes you will be using only its built-in microphone as its audio-in, then you will not be able to record your keyboard with it.  Oh, you can record your WK-6600 with the laptop's built-in mic, but the results will be horrible.  If it is a dual purpose (MIC-IN/Phones-out) jack then there is probably a setting in the Dell's audio options that you need to set it to MIC-IN.  You will need to watch the WK-6600's main volume level, so as not to overdrive the Dell's input circuits.  If it is a single purpose phones output only, you will need to purchase a USB-audio interface unit that connects to one of the Dell's USB ports.  Here is a unit that I have used with good results for the past 8 years or so.  Amazon sells it for $29.99 USD:

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-U-Control-Low-Latency-Interface-Digital/dp/B000KW2YEI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517539739&sr=8-1&keywords=behringer+uca-202

Scroll down on the above web-page to the Product Description section for complete details.