Video Files on Forum ×

Using the Data Editor off line

BrettM

I would like to use the Data Editor to create a new user patch without having to be be connected to the keyboard, e.g., a new PCM tone; but whenever I select a tone I get a Communication Error. Is there a way to disable the attempted communication in the editor so I can work on the parameters, save it to an SD card and load it into the keyboard that way?

That would require to transform the XW into a virtual synthesizer. I don't think Casio will do that. 
But there are programs which allows you to make your own personalized software modular synthesizers, so you can theoretically recreate the XW, and you can even ad some extras (like polyphony)  :) .

Peter, I'm not expecting the Data Editor to become a stand alone software synthesizer. I don't expect it to make any sounds or send midi data or whatever. I know enough about the XW to have a pretty good idea of how the parameter settings will sound once loaded. What I would like is to be able to do is configure a basic patch quickly in the editor, save it to the relevant type of XW file and load it later, via SD card or connection. Nothing more than what is possible when there is a connection. Final tweaking can be done at the synth when the sounds can be heard.

I don't expect it to make any sounds or send midi data or whatever. I know enough about the XW to have a pretty good idea of how the parameter settings will sound once loaded. What I would like is to be able to do is configure a basic patch quickly in the editor, save it to the relevant type of XW file and load it later, via SD card or connection. 

That was going to be my first question.  How would you know what the patch would sound like without the synth hooked up.  It appears you have this covered, though.  I don't know if I could program that way, myself, but it sounds like a worthwhile update to the software for those, like yourself, who wish to do so.  

I wouldn't finish programming a patch without hearing it, but I could start programming one without hearing it. The basic configuration can be set up without hearing anything, e.g., which blocks to turn on, which waves to use, initial envelope starting points, basic LFO and filter settings, etc. There are open file and save file icons in the editor, but they generate a Communication Error if you're not connected to the keyboard. Or I might have an idea for tweaking an existing patch I've previously created and know the basic sound. I can't even load an existing patch without generating the error and I wondered if the communication check might be something that could be fairly easily disabled.

Why would I ever want to do this? Well, I'm much more likely to have my laptop with me in my briefcase than my keyboard. Of course I can always just make a note to myself until I get home, but why write it in a text editor when I should be able to write it in a data editor?