Video Files on Forum ×

sustain pedal issues

vaud

I just bought the privia px 350. The sustain pedal does not work right but maybe it is just a setup issue. I went to the general tab and changed the pedal setting to SOS. Sometimes it stays like that and sometimes it goes back to SFT. Also when I plug in a better quality pedal, it doesn't work at all. The better quality pedal has what looks like a stereo plug where as the cheapy Casio one looks like is has a mono plug. Is this the issue or is there some other setting I need to change?

It is plugged in the correct jack.   When I use the little casio one that comes with the keyboard, it works as long as I depress it AFTER I play the note.  I cannot depress the pedal and then play a note and have it sustain.   The Roland footswitch has two settings, continuous or switch.  When plugged in to the Sustain jack, it does nothing.  When plugged into the damper jack, all notes sustain automatically and when the footswitch is on continuous it does nothing but when it is on switch it dampens the sustain.   I feel like there is either something screwed up in the wiring or a simple fix in the settings.

When plugged in to the Sustain jack, it does nothing.  When plugged into the damper jack, all notes sustain automatically and when the footswitch is on continuous it does nothing but when it is on switch it dampens the sustain.  

The damper and sustain are the same jack. I don't have this KB so I don't know exactly how they are labeled back there. I would try using another footswitch like the M-audio SP-2. You may also want to try resetting the Privia as outlined in  page E-4 in the manual: 

http://support.casio.com/storage/en/manual/pdf/EN/008/PX350M_EN.pdf

+1 to Joe Muscara.

I've used an M-Audio SP-2 pedal with a PX-350; it works fine.  I don't remember the "polarity" setting on the SP-2, but it's set by a switch on the bottom.   It's a simple on/off switch -- "monophonic" plug, just tip and sleeve.

It sounds like the Roland pedal is a real "continuous damper" controller.  The PX-350 won't work right, with that kind of pedal.   The 3-pedal unit for the PX-350 has a damper pedal with two switches ("full pedal", and "half pedal"), not a "continuous damper" controller.

.                    Charles