Suitable expression pedal

APStudios
Go to solution Solved by Brad Saucier,

I tried to find a manual or even a proper set of specs online for the MZ 2000 and failed.

Does it even have an expression pedal input?  From what I could see all it accepts is a single switch pedal input suitable for a sustain pedal but not for a continuous controller volume or expression pedal.

Again I could be wrong on this but are you sure it has an input for an analogue pedal?

Gary

I managed to find a service manual for it.

The Expression jack is listed on page 22 in the schematic.

http://www.warningwillrobinson.com.au/manuals/Casio%20MZ2000%20service%20manual.pdf

In the notes it says it uses an Optional Casio EX-10 expression pedal.

Again I can't find any other reference to this pedal model but I'd recommend avoiding the M-Audio pedal and get a MOOG EP-3 instead.  Solid metal construction instead of plastic like the M-Audio and pretty much designed to adjust to and work with ANY keyboard.

http://www.moogmusic.com/products/accessories/ep-3-expression-pedal

And at $46 MSRP it's reasonably priced too.

I have a couple of MOOG EP-2s on my Kurzweil and they've held up very well this past year.

Gary

Again I could be wrong on this but are you sure it has an input for an analogue pedal?

You doubted my knowledge of the MZ-2000?  My name is not BradMZ for nothing.   :)

APStudios,

If you're on facebook, I created a user group specific to the MZ-2000.  We have quite a few members and I've collected all of the web resources into one place there.  User manual, midi manual, service manual, floppy downloads and more.  You're welcome to join.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MZ2000/

I also created a thread on this forum dedicated to the MZ-2000 here.  

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/4850-casio-mz-2000-workstation-keyboard/

Thankyou for these links.

I thinks I need to buy a usb to floppy disc drive for my pc.

If they still make them that is.

My main reason for buying a mz2000 is because I'm not getting on with Casios WK7600. I find it very limited and is so un user friendly. With no midi ports what were casio thinking.

Not to mention the XWG1. That's even worse user friendly wise.

Sorry to everybody who loves the above keyboards but for my self I just can't get on with them so there soon to be on eBay.

I did want a 2 manual Tyros 5 TRX system Cough cough. Saying that word here is banned I guess. But not for £5200 complete.

So I plan to use the Casio MZ in the same format as a TRX with the lower keyboard pedals etc.

I plan to build a special stand etc and will place the topic in here for all to see.

Many thanks

• Like 1

Just to update this post.

I tried the casio expression pedal on my MZ.

Terrible results.

When you plug the pedal in. You loose over 50% of your volume output.

The pedal is floored and the volume knob is on max

Stil no power volume output. Only plays reall quitet.

When you remove the pedal from the socket. Sound output is back to normal.

Anybody else has this problem with expression pedals?

I tried the casio expression pedal on my MZ.

Terrible results.

When you plug the pedal in. You loose over 50% of your volume output.

The pedal is floored and the volume knob is on max

Stil no power volume output. Only plays reall quitet.

When you remove the pedal from the socket. Sound output is back to normal.

Anybody else has this problem with expression pedals?

I'm wondering if that pedal is too old or broken.... Let us know how the m-audio one works. I have always been happy with their gear.

This M Audio expression pedal works perfectly with the MZ.

Fortunately there's a switch on the bottom of the pedal that changer the polarity of the plug enabling it to work with Casios.

There's also a volume control on the side of the pedal so you can adjust the sensitivity.

It works really well. So thumbs up with this pedal.

• Like 1

This M Audio expression pedal works perfectly with the MZ.

Fortunately there's a switch on the bottom of the pedal that changer the polarity of the plug enabling it to work with Casios.

There's also a volume control on the side of the pedal so you can adjust the sensitivity.

It works really well. So thumbs up with this pedal.

Great to hear - and it's a great price. Thanks for updating!

• 4 months later...

That's interesting, because I unexpectedly ran into this same problem today with an old Casio VP-2 pedal, and an even older Casiotone 405. I was thinking that I'd have to track down one of the even older pedals, but perhaps it is just a polarity issue that the M Audio will resolve.