Grand Piano sound (sample) issue

garysch

Just got a new PX-3. The main stereo grand piano has a group of "funky" notes, i.e., A#5 thru C5 (the octave just above middle C). They are dull at the same velocity compared with the notes on either side.

Anyone else notice this?

Gary

• Like 1

OK. I'll put it another way. If I play a chromatic scale starting at middle C going up one and one-half octave, the notes Ab through C# (just rechecked and corrected from my first post) have a different timbre. The affected notes are not as bright sounding as the rest of the piano. This same trait is exhibited on all the pianos that are based on the same sample set.

I hear the same thing with the speakers or headphones. For the record, I am a graduate piano player and music educator,and currently play in a number of jazz groups. More important is the fact that I have tuned and voiced my own 7' grand for over 40 years and have tuned and voiced pipe organs. And I've done my share of work on sampled instruments as well.

I'm going to connect my midi monitor to rule out (or in) a velocity issue.

I'm going to connect my midi monitor to rule out (or in) a velocity issue.

Gary, you might also try creating a midi file that simply does a chromatic run over the range you are concerned with - this will eliminate keybed issues.

Sorry for the delayed response. I did create a single velocity midi file spanning the affected range. It was then copied/pasted and the velocity increased for each of four successive iterations. The instrument was at factory default settings and the reverb was turned off. The file was recorded first with the main stereo grand, then with the GM grand. Program Changes were inserted in each midi file to select the proper instrument. The issue is still present. I am certainly aware that this could be strictly limited to my instrument. If any are interested in the midi files and /or the resultant mp3 files, please email me for the link.

Gary

• 3 years later...

I am having a different but similar problem with our Privia 3xs. On the grand Piano sound "D" above "Middle C" intermittently reacts different to velocity then the other keys, This problem only occurs with this Grand Piano patch. I have never experienced this problem using an organ sound or electric piano sound. I am thinking it it may be helpful to do a factory reset. Does anyone know how to do a factory reset on the Casio Privia PX3s.

• 1 month later...
On 4/19/2016 at 8:10 PM, sroewe said:

I am having a different but similar problem with our Privia 3xs. On the grand Piano sound "D" above "Middle C" intermittently reacts different to velocity then the other keys, This problem only occurs with this Grand Piano patch. I have never experienced this problem using an organ sound or electric piano sound. I am thinking it it may be helpful to do a factory reset. Does anyone know how to do a factory reset on the Casio Privia PX3s.

Power on while simultaneously holding the [TONE] and [FUNCTION] buttons. 

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Ewall08530 said:

Since you have the PX-3 I be interested to know if you hear the same issue when playing the Stage Piano or Ambient Piano.  They seem to be quite different from the default Grand and the Bright, Mellow and Jazz versions. 

PX-3 and PX-3S are older models built until 2013, not to be confused with the new PX-S3000.