Video Files on Forum ×

Good Program to learn to play keyboard

You want a sugar coated novel or do you want the truth?

There are programs like synthesia and pianobooster which make useful instructional aids, but you come here proclaiming you know NOTHING about music and want to learn with a computer program and I tell you, there are no real shortcuts to learning music theory and piano play.

There's plenty of piano tutorials on youtube that will also help you out, but there's really no substitute for sitting down with a good book on music theory and working your way thru piano exercises with a living breathing teacher.

And yes I have over a thousand posts under my belt but I didn't really see any great need to put much more effort into my answer than you did in your original question :P

Gary ;)

What is a good program to learn to play a keyboard ? Is there any software that will teach you as you go along ex. follow the keys on the monitor ?

Remember I am starting from knowing NOTHING about music.

Hi and welcome to the Casio Forums. The Hoffman Academy has a very good (and free) online piano course. 

https://www.hoffmanacademy.com/

Do you have a keyboard already or do you need help choosing one?

As a kid I had always wanted an electronic piano. I was at a garage sale last weekend and ended up buying an old Casio board. I bought a roland midi cable ( works very well if anyone should need a midi cable). and here I am. I am not interested nor crazy and too old too go to far into the music thing. I am more curious then anything else and it would be nice to be able to play a few notes or memorize a couple of songs

As a kid I had always wanted an electronic piano. I was at a garage sale last weekend and ended up buying an old Casio board. I bought a roland midi cable ( works very well if anyone should need a midi cable). and here I am. I am not interested nor crazy and too old too go to far into the music thing. I am more curious then anything else and it would be nice to be able to play a few notes or memorize a couple of songs

You will be surprised how quickly you can learn new songs once you have the basics down. You will find a lot of popular songs are just variations on the same three or four chords.  :) 

• 6 months later...