PX5S 1.13 update experience

XW-Addict

I've updated my PX5 from 1.10 to 1.13 yesterday it was certainly a big difference I've got better response from EQ and other filters maybe a bit to good. To my ears I'm missing a small rounding part of sounds in overall to some stage's became just a tad less synth and more keyboardish. Midi files are played much better now though :). I'm always wary about updates its getting used to but there is always that aww boy now something good was lost to get something better kinda feeling.

btw(does anyone have the link to update 1.10 just in case).   

I usually wait a while before installing updates to see what shakes out.  This time however, I did the update right away.  No problems what so ever so far.  XW, I recommend not going back to 1.10.  The updates in 1.11 and on are too significant to lose in my opinion.  Especially when it comes to modifying, saving, and loading stage settings and tones.  V 1.10 had a bug where it could revert to old settings after power down.

• Like 1

I usually wait a while before installing updates to see what shakes out.  This time however, I did the update right away.  No problems what so ever so far.  XW, I recommend not going back to 1.10.  The updates in 1.11 and on are too significant to lose in my opinion.  Especially when it comes to modifying, saving, and loading stage settings and tones.  V 1.10 had a bug where it could revert to old settings after power down.

This update had me eyeballing and had to sleep a night over this to try it the next morning. The sound engine has become to good I don't know how to explain it the PX5 sounds so different I thought this cant be something must be broken in the update it will be getting used to it I've played with the knew stages a bit more, Lets say I'm getting down with the funk. 

I'm sorry for the keyboardish comment kinda stupid mistake from me I've hooked the G1 on the PX5 and the sounds blended together :P I'm only human.

Don't know very much yet about the PX5 butt I saw several new tones in it that is awesome.

Strange update for me ...first start was ok ,.,after a while the update stops   " Wrong Data Error !" so i decide to download the  update.bin again ....i did a fresh firmware update but

it starts at the point where tge update was broken so the " nefect , songs , DSP ! " was  flashing .......

after the reboot i did a new firmware update.......

tricky ,,,i am happy my PX5 is not broken .... :rolleyes:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=544369905709834&saved

here´s a video of my PX5S updating wrong.

Mau Van, I don't know if this will make any difference for you with future updates and so but, I take a very conservative approach:  I make sure everything except power is unplugged from the PX-5s - I want to minimize any chance of a command or voltage change sneaking in.  I've not used batteries in this process, but that may be something I try in conjunction with the power cord.  I make sure I have a new (or 100% reliable) USB drive formatted properly for the PX-5s.  I make sure that ONLY the update.bin file is on the USB drive.

I power on the Px-5s, then when the keyboard finishes it's boot up, I insert the USB and perform the update.  If the USB is inserted before power up, the PX-5s may automatically try and install the update.  I try and keep everything under my control as much as possible.

Following this protocol, I have never had any problems installing an update - even when back-installing older updates.

:huh:  gotten a bit dubious about this update a part of it sounds great another part gives me a "meh" kinda feeling I went back to 1.12 because some stages sounded to high pitches and ringing sounds like the resonance is cranked up way to much. Got other concerns also cause everything "seems" fine on middle C at higher octave sounds breaking up.....:. I'll sit this one out. 

Question, did you guys Initialize All after the update? before loading in your custom sounds?

Are there a couple of default stage settings that you can tell are different?  I'd like to give it a test with v 1.12 vs 1.13.  

Did you guys install any ALL files after the update or did you just load in individual Stage Settings or tones?

One of the fixes was for the temperament so it is possible there are some pitch abnormalities. 

The only sounds I tested were from Mike Martins new ALL stage settings with some of the new synths and pianos. 

• Like 1

Yes i did a reset bevore and after the update then i used a  new created miced Setting of my Sounds and the originals....lot of them sounds sharp and spicy without deepness...after i have donwloaded the 1.11 again and the same sounds was warm and normal without resetting the PX5....yesterday i was not willing to post this but after the post from XW.ADDICT...i found it strange having the same impression...

• Like 1

Yes i did a reset bevore and after the update then i used a  new created miced Setting of my Sounds and the originals....lot of them sounds sharp and spicy without deepness...after i have donwloaded the 1.11 again and the same sounds was warm and normal without resetting the PX5....yesterday i was not willing to post this but after the post from XW.ADDICT...i found it strange having the same impression...

I've also did the same thing some stages got a broken record kinda tune similar thin sound sharp  and without deepness.

I did a lot of playing on v1.13 then dialed back to 1.12.  I don't notice much of a difference ( then again I should've recorded everything and compared it - too late now).  I do tend to think 1.12 is just a little more mellow.  Again, I'm not sure if it's my imagination or not but it just sounds like the EQ or the timbre in general is a little milder/warmer on 1.12.   I'll have to record a few stage settings and compare. 

Maybe it's an adjustment to the noise gate issue for input or an adjustment to compression.  Maybe all of the frequencies are coming through and there is more high end present.  Again, it may be my imagination but I think 1.13 is a little louder in general.  I still can't quite say definitively that there is a difference because my comparisons aren't side by side.  At some point I'll have to record both and listen to them.

Maybe Mau Van or XW-Addict did recordings of each version and can demonstrate the differences side by side.

I did a lot of playing on v1.13 then dialed back to 1.12.  I don't notice much of a difference ( then again I should've recorded everything and compared it - too late now).  I do tend to think 1.12 is just a little more mellow.  Again, I'm not sure if it's my imagination or not but it just sounds like the EQ or the timbre in general is a little milder/warmer on 1.12.   I'll have to record a few stage settings and compare. 

Maybe it's an adjustment to the noise gate issue for input or an adjustment to compression.  Maybe all of the frequencies are coming through and there is more high end present.  Again, it may be my imagination but I think 1.13 is a little louder in general.  I still can't quite say definitively that there is a difference because my comparisons aren't side by side.  At some point I'll have to record both and listen to them.

Maybe Mau Van or XW-Addict did recordings of each version and can demonstrate the differences side by side.

I went directly from 1.10 to 1.13 the only comparison I've got is from the last One Song thing I did, maybe you're right and is it an EQ thing because I'm getting lots of high when I go up the keys and I'm also missing the nicer fat and warm lows from stages. But there is also an high pitched ringing sound to some stages which is an annoying bell like frequency and some older stages have this out of tune bit I've noticed it with wonderland stage. 

• Like 1

no matter how often i try to update the 1.13 i always feel it sounds strange and my patches are different and not so warm as before....about what i really wonder there was no comment from Mike Martin

until now about this problem..seems one are two persons are not enough to resolve a problem ?

Think we need some patience :) ,I believe Casio engineers working to resolve things and to make improvements I don't think its that easy remember where on 1.13 its pretty awesome so far.

btw Mau Van aren't u a bit spooked to switch updates back and forth as you're saying to do it and I quote "Often"?.

yes of course ,,i already habe Ear´s like Spok .....joke...no i tried yesterday because it makes me thinking why only 2 person feel this ,,and so i tried but i am still not convinced about it  the second reason was

midi file player ,,,some times the SMF player runs out of the midi settings and i have to reboot the machine,,,,so i tried 1.13 ...but honestly now i will stay with 1.12 ...

It could be my pedal but has anyone else discovered that if they are changing what effect a pedal does, and perhaps scrolling through the list or modifying parameters with the pedal depressed then it will totally mess up the output like effects carry over or down is now up etc. Seems like a simple fix in the code somewhere to just clear the previous effect properly and ignore whether the pedal is down or up. Could be just my pedal though. It's not a major grievence but it happens a lot to me as I am testing out effects to put on the pedal or changing params. I have to remember to take my foot completely off the pedal, change something and then try it out.

I updated to 1.13.   Whether it be my own custom stage settings and tones or factory...I hear absolutely no difference in the sound of my PX-5s. Everything sounds the same as it did in 1.12.  I don't need to re-record any of my audio demo's made with V 1.12 in the download section.  

I don't understand why it would sound different.  The update only changed 2 small things.  

1) An issue where midi events could cause stuck notes in the sound generator.

2) Master tuning hz display was different than the actual sound when using temperaments other than equal. 

• Like 1